Kingwood Park 44 Nederland 41/Final

WOSgrad

52 minutes ago, AthleticSupporter - Jock said:

He's been bitter ever since he didn't win the Willie Ray Smith award.  It's been all down hill from there. :)  Oh, and any school that doesn't employ a coach with the last name Boutte, will be randomly hated on.

You know that's his beef with WOS.  Not hard to add 2 + 2.   But as I said, he will give props to some coaches, including Sutherland.  I think his problem with English stems from some upsets over Ozen of English-coached teams.  But he can make an argument about lack of championships.  And he correctly points out the lack of talent argument is sometimes overplayed. 

But he overstates his case.  English is at a minimum a good coach - I would argue a very good coach.  

The one knock on English I've heard from Nederland fans on here that may have legs is over-substituting.  There is a difference between a Silsbee that has 10 players who would get significant minutes for any team in the area and other teams playing that deep (and even deeper) that don't have quality depth.  But English at least does it primarily in games where he has a decent lead.  I see some coaches play every game 11 or 12 deep (significant minutes) and 4 or 5 kids wouldn't wouldn't even start on many JV teams in that district...

9 hours ago, BlkMamba24 said:

I dont think he played a race card in his opinion he just thinks English is overrated as a coach. Nederland has had a lot of african american players(mainly from PA)so i think he was saying when some Nederland fans say they dont have the athletes like some schools he calls bs to it..

Bingo! It has nothing to do with race.

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

You know that's his beef with WOS.  Not hard to add 2 + 2.   But as I said, he will give props to some coaches, including Sutherland.  I think his problem with English stems from some upsets over Ozen of English-coached teams.  But he can make an argument about lack of championships.  And he correctly points out the lack of talent argument is sometimes overplayed. 

But he overstates his case.  English is at a minimum a good coach - I would argue a very good coach.  

I wish you stop saying I have a problem with WOS...my roommate in college was from WOS I just call things down the middle. The same stuff I say on here I've been telling him for years some things he agree on some he don't. I could care less about Ozen losing to Ned in the past when I played we never lost to a English coached team so why would I have a problem with English. It's real simple with English I asked what qualified him as a great coach earlier in the year and folks said it was because he had Ned "competing" well if losing in the first round to Kingwood Park is competing then sure. I just simply don't feel English has the credentials to back up some of the recognition some of you give him. And btw Hoops not once have I ever said English was a bad coach, but definitely not a "great" one.

2 hours ago, AthleticSupporter - Jock said:

He's been bitter ever since he didn't win the Willie Ray Smith award.  It's been all down hill from there. :)  Oh, and any school that doesn't employ a coach with the last name Boutte, will be randomly hated on.

Seeing as though I got the free ride to school and that guy never played college ball I don't think I'd have a reason to be bitter nice try though. I knew I wasn't going to win the WRS award when I was nominated for it so you really just sound dumb honestly. 

18 minutes ago, BlkMamba24 said:

Ok now ok back to the game. How did Nederland lose this ?, i had them beating Kingwood Park. Even though these teams mirrored each other i felt like KP didnt have a Miguez and he would be the difference . 

You're right.  Hard for these teams not to play close. 

1 hour ago, ozensfinest said:

I wish you stop saying I have a problem with WOS...my roommate in college was from WOS I just call things down the middle. The same stuff I say on here I've been telling him for years some things he agree on some he don't. I could care less about Ozen losing to Ned in the past when I played we never lost to a English coached team so why would I have a problem with English. It's real simple with English I asked what qualified him as a great coach earlier in the year and folks said it was because he had Ned "competing" well if losing in the first round to Kingwood Park is competing then sure. I just simply don't feel English has the credentials to back up some of the recognition some of you give him. And btw Hoops not once have I ever said English was a bad coach, but definitely not a "great" one.

Fair enough.   That is definitely a debatable point.  And ease up, I even defended your goofy behind in this thread!

I was able to catch this game last night and I'm normally one on board with English as an alright coach. But last night 23 scored 10 or 12 straight and then got parked in the corner for almost all of the second half. Taking a few shots in the 4th when the game was basically decided. With about a minute and a half to play and Nederland down by 3 they ran the clock down and looked for a 3 to tie. Up double digits on Ozen twice this year and up on central in the 4th. In close games the play calling was disappointing. I have my own reasons for being emotional about this loss and that's why I waited a day to post. But Nederland lost another game they shouldn't have this year. 

11 hours ago, HSbballFan said:

I was able to catch this game last night and I'm normally one on board with English as an alright coach. But last night 23 scored 10 or 12 straight and then got parked in the corner for almost all of the second half. Taking a few shots in the 4th when the game was basically decided. With about a minute and a half to play and Nederland down by 3 they ran the clock down and looked for a 3 to tie. Up double digits on Ozen twice this year and up on central in the 4th. In close games the play calling was disappointing. I have my own reasons for being emotional about this loss and that's why I waited a day to post. But Nederland lost another game they shouldn't have this year. 

A coach is never going to please every parent.  Impossible task, and one he should not even attempt.  I am sure there are plenty of schools that would trade their current coach for Nederland's.  Look on the bright side.  Ned has a very good basketball program, something that has been lacking in previous regimes.  Count your blessings that your son played on a good team & for a good coach.  

45 minutes ago, Aces_Full said:

A coach is never going to please every parent.  Impossible task, and one he should not even attempt.  I am sure there are plenty of schools that would trade their current coach for Nederland's.  Look on the bright side.  Ned has a very good basketball program, something that has been lacking in previous regimes.  Count your blessings that your son played on a good team & for a good coach.  

I think most people seem to have quickly forgotten that it was only 9,10 years ago that Ned's record at the end of the year was 4-25 or 10-21 (in a decent year). Since 2008 (or 2009) Ned has won at least 20 games every year. Before then, we have to go back to 1987 when English was a senior. That year, Ned was 22-9. 

51 minutes ago, Honest Abe said:

I think most people seem to have quickly forgotten that it was only 9,10 years ago that Ned's record at the end of the year was 4-25 or 10-21 (in a decent year). Since 2008 (or 2009) Ned has won at least 20 games every year. Before then, we have to go back to 1987 when English was a senior. That year, Ned was 22-9. 

Yep, and that coach is at Vidor now and look where they are..

2 hours ago, Aces_Full said:

Jase is my son and trust me, Jase and myself are very thankful English is his coach.  Jase wouldn't want to play for anyone else or with anyone else.  He has a very close bond with his coach and team mates. 

43 minutes ago, dadofabulldog said:

Jase is my son and trust me, Jase and myself are very thankful English is his coach.  Jase wouldn't want to play for anyone else or with anyone else.  He has a very close bond with his coach and team mates. 

Well I do know one other coach he likes playing for :) LOL

18 hours ago, TxHoops said:

The one knock on English I've heard from Nederland fans on here that may have legs is over-substituting.  There is a difference between a Silsbee that has 10 players who would get significant minutes for any team in the area and other teams playing that deep (and even deeper) that don't have quality depth.  But English at least does it primarily in games where he has a decent lead.  I see some coaches play every game 11 or 12 deep (significant minutes) and 4 or 5 kids wouldn't wouldn't even start on many JV teams in that district...

I am going to venture a guess that Mr. English is eminently more qualified to make substitution decision than a fan.

16 minutes ago, Lazeek said:

Other than the coach we have at HJ, there is not a person in SE Texas that I would rather have making decisions than Brian English.  Guy is a genius on the court!!!  Accept the fact that maybe the talent this year is down a bit and move on.  Nederland and English will be back making deep runs in the playoffs.

You left Todd Sutherland, Andre Boutte and ME off of your short list Lazeek! I'm appalled! LOL

OK to address this issue...There are certain people on this board that hide behind screen names and critique these coaches and call them over-rated and such, but let me say this, I think that's terrible. Andre Boutte, Todd Sutherland, James Gamble, Fred Williams have ALL experienced first round playoff losses at some point in their career...It happens..NO ONE that knows ANYTHING about basketball can say with a clear conscience that Brian English has not done a terrific job of turning that Nederland program around. They were a JOKE before he arrived, and that team was in the REGIONAL tournament a couple of years ago. I really hate when individuals get on here with agendas...Again guys who hide behind screen names, and TRY to critique in order to elevate themselves is just a pitiful shame. I just give credit where its due.  The guy has shown time and time again how good he is as a coach, but certain people cant ever get past themselves in order to recognize others...I wish EVERY poster's real name, resume and credentials could show up on here, so that the cowards would just back away....Just my two cents....

23 minutes ago, Dick Vitale said:

OK to address this issue...There are certain people on this board that hide behind screen names and critique these coaches and call them over-rated and such, but let me say this, I think that's terrible. Andre Boutte, Todd Sutherland, James Gamble, Fred Williams have ALL experienced first round playoff losses at some point in their career...It happens..NO ONE that knows ANYTHING about basketball can say with a clear conscience that Brian English has not done a terrific job of turning that Nederland program around. They were a JOKE before he arrived, and that team was in the REGIONAL tournament a couple of years ago. I really hate when individuals get on here with agendas...Again guys who hide behind screen names, and TRY to critique in order to elevate themselves is just a pitiful shame. I just give credit where its due.  The guy has shown time and time again how good he is as a coach, but certain people cant ever get past themselves in order to recognize others...I wish EVERY poster's real name, resume and credentials could show up on here, so that the cowards would just back away....Just my two cents....

Great post!  I couldn't agree more. Brian is very infectious, he has a way of getting everyone to buy in (parents and players). He has had success everywhere he has coached. The man knows how to build a program. Period!