Houston and Setx falling way behind

Uncle Pig

LCM is building the High School and jr highs which needed to be done. They are building a basket ball gym that is suppose to  be very nice. But they are not doing anything to the football field. I'm happy that we are updating our school instead of just throwing our money into the athletic side. I'd rather have a nice place for my children to learn instead of some fancy in door facility. I honestly believe even if LCM had the state of art athletlic facility they would still suffer from the same problems. 

16 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

No argument there and I know you speak from experience on that.  But based on that experience, here is my question to you.

Would the teachers amongst your friends and family be any more willing to go to teach at a school which pays barely above the state base yet has a shiny new indoor practice facility?

Honestly the consensus from everyone I know in education is typically centered around the enjoyment of a school day (8-4).  Class size, discipline problems, and yes money.   Which generally confuses me about the money... I told a buddy of mine I didn't know why he was concerned about the difference in 50K and 60K...he's still not taking his family to Disney World.  haha.  I'm sure there are benefits and downsides to almost any school just like any job anywhere.  You know...is the bang worth the buck...so to speak.  But I think teaching kids that were winners and afraid of losing...say a spot on the team...would be more enjoyable than kids with no school pride and nothing to lose.  I'm not sure there are just a ton of schools that have brand new facilities and really nice stuff but only pay their teachers barely above state base.  I could be wrong on that but I don't think so..

38 minutes ago, LCM17 said:

LCM is building the High School and jr highs which needed to be done. They are building a basket ball gym that is suppose to  be very nice. But they are not doing anything to the football field. I'm happy that we are updating our school instead of just throwing our money into the athletic side. I'd rather have a nice place for my children to learn instead of some fancy in door facility. I honestly believe even if LCM had the state of art athletlic facility they would still suffer from the same problems. 

What you and most normal citizens don't understand is the bond that was passed for those buildings could have included new field turf for the stadium and a multi sport indoor/workout facility for the same tax increase. They would have just had to extend the bond another 5 to 7 years.  

1 hour ago, ECBucFan said:

I respectfully disagree that a inner city students success in life can be predicated only on athletics.  With that mindset, should the non-athletic inner city student, or one with an unsuccessful football program simply give up? Athletics are not "the only way out". Academic achievement and upstanding personal character is the way to personal betterment in life. 

He didn't say their success can only be predicted on athletics. He stated his opinion and you stretched it. I have a bachelor's degree in economics with a real estate minor, my wife has a bachelor's in business with an MBA. We have three sons who we push academics on, two get it and one doesn't. I told the one that doesn't get it that the only way he was going to college is if he gets a football scholarship because I'm not paying. I have to press him just to be average. That's how its always been with him. Last night my youngest son wanted me to quiz him on adding two digit numbers that he learned in school yesterday. When I asked him to explain how you get the sums his explanation kind of shocked me. For my own amusement I asked him to apply those same principles to bigger numbers, after learning 10's that day he was adding four digit numbers in his head rather quickly for a first grader. He can also spell his 10 year old brother's advanced spelling words. He can make it out solely on academics, my oldest one can't. So I ask you, as a parent do I stress "academic achievement" to him or try to develop his athletic skills which will be more immediately important in achieving his goals?

It's an extremely difficult reality to understand if you haven't experienced it first hand . . . hundreds of times. I wonder how many of the 40+ kids that Crosby has signed the last four years would have gone to college had they not been offered a scholarship?  

5 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

What you and most normal citizens don't understand is the bond that was passed for those buildings could have included new field turf for the stadium and a multi sport indoor/workout facility for the same tax increase. They would have just had to extend the bond another 5 to 7 years.  

Oh I'm sure it could have been done there's no doubt about it. But do you live in LCM school district? because You know our current administration is not going to do that. Actually they went back and forth for a year on the school plans. I'm just happy to get something if you know what I mean. I honestly never thought they would do it with the current administration.  

1 minute ago, LCM17 said:

Oh I'm sure it could have been done there's no doubt about it. But do you live in LCM school district? because You know our current administration is not going to do that. Actually they went back and forth for a year on the school plans. I'm just happy to get something if you know what I mean. I honestly never thought they would do it with the current administration.  

I do not live in LCM, but I have attended sporting events there and the facilities across the board and the schools are in dire need of upgrading. The football field and stadium are fine, but field turf would have been a great addition to improve practice opportunities. And indoor facility would have helped all sports. Sad when the administration is not willing to invest in the kids.

8 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

I do not live in LCM, but I have attended sporting events there and the facilities across the board and the schools are in dire need of upgrading. The football field and stadium are fine, but field turf would have been a great addition to improve practice opportunities. And indoor facility would have helped all sports. Sad when the administration is not willing to invest in the kids.

As community we would be supportive of all those upgrades and in my opinion It comes down to the administration. To my knowledge they don't have anyone activley working on grants like other schools. Our Jumbrotron has been broke for atleast three years and has to be replaced and to my knowledge its not going to be replaced. I know theres only a few LCM fans on this site but at the games we talk about all the same issues. A few years ago Beaumont enterprise came out with highest paid coaches in the area.  Coach Crouch was the 3rd highest paid  coach in the area at that time. So we do pay our coach a well for the area. 

2 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

But remember that bond referendums are at the mercy of the voters of the school districts.  The officials at LC-M probably saw which way the wind was blowing after seeing a bond which included turfing the football field in West Orange get voted down...twice...and seeing the same thing happen in Nederland. 

Look, if the school districts can get the money to do so, they should certainly invest in improved athletic facilities.  However, the premise that a school district doesn't give a crap about athletics if it doesn't pony up for a new athletic facility is not one that I am willing to buy.

17 hours ago, ECBucFan said:

I have a sincere question, this is not sarcasm.

What would you rather have? A school/team that has a huge, state of the art indoor training facility and stadium, with jumbotron, etc.that everyone else is envious of, and they routinely win district, routinely goes 3 or more rounds in the playoffs, and wins State a time or two, but is Academically poor or unacceptable, and has a declining enrollment, and is plagued with other problems.

OR

A school/team that has a "decent" program, maybe goes 6-4 or thereabouts, has a "decent" but otherwise unremarkable training facility and stadium, and usually makes the playoffs but exits in the first round or two. Meanwhile, the school is Academically recognized or even at times exceptional, and has sound financials, and has a safe and conducive learning environment where academics are upheld as the foremost priority for the student-athletes?       

Again, thats a sincere question. Thanks.

Personally, I agree with the coalition of people who'd take the facilities. There is a definite pride quality facilities gives a team and a community, but that doesn't discount anything teams have accomplished without them.

I attended a school with poor facilities and we performed admirably. I've lived in the DFW, Greater Houston and East Texas areas and have attended high school football games at each stop. DFW is light years ahead of most in terms of facilities, especially south of I-20 and east of 1-35. 

Last I checked Allen, Aledo, Cedar Hill and Argyle have all won recent state championships and have a decent academic standing with the state. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time and it won't be the last for sure. 

My personal opinion is its nice and all to have the state of the art stadium and etc and all but some of the theses schools has boosters,big businesses, school bonds and etc to help them with all of that and some schools don't I would put equally money into academics and athletic programs they are both important for the kids and that's the main goal we should try to teach academics is priority I get that but sports is important as well that just my view 

11 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

But remember that bond referendums are at the mercy of the voters of the school districts.  The officials at LC-M probably saw which way the wind was blowing after seeing a bond which included turfing the football field in West Orange get voted down...twice...and seeing the same thing happen in Nederland. 

Look, if the school districts can get the money to do so, they should certainly invest in improved athletic facilities.  However, the premise that a school district doesn't give a crap about athletics if it doesn't pony up for a new athletic facility is not one that I am willing to buy.

Well Said, Im going to make my vote count on the  school board! IMO WOS and Nederland deserve the best facility. Maybe if WOS gets turf LCM will follow them lol

Most taxpayers do not know how  The State of Texas funds education ..If they did they would be camped out in Austin every other year to demand it get fixed. Until that happens I would be very reluctant to spend $1 million on turf or any other like extra curricular activity project..That money would stay in fund balance until the state gets it right..

Guest ECBucFan
1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

He didn't say their success can only be predicted on athletics. He stated his opinion and you stretched it.

I stretched nothing. You are incorrect.

He said: "athletics are some kids ONLY way out so I disagree especially for schools thats in the inner city."

Fact check before challenging me, thanks.

24 minutes ago, ECBucFan said:

I stretched nothing. You are incorrect.

He said: "athletics are some kids ONLY way out so I disagree especially for schools thats in the inner city."

Fact check before challenging me, thanks.

"SOME" kids "ONLY" way, which is totally correct. You stretched it to an all-inclusive statement to cover "non-athletic" kids which plays more towards the soapbox rhetoric you're trying to get across. If they're "non-athletic" then they're not in the conversation and what you said is a moot/duh point. What about the kid like my son who's already 6'/180lbs and is the fastest kid in Crosby's freshman class though? He's from a middle class family and I'm telling you from the horse's mouth that the "ONLY" way he's making it "out" of Crosby is on the gridiron. He knows he's going to make $100k+ rather he steps foot on a college campus or not as long as he doesn't get into any trouble. It's not like that for all kids but for "SOME" it is. About 40% of middle class kids who start college don't finish anyway, however, about 80% of athletes that receive division one scholarships do. So looking at it that way your kid has a better shot at making it "out" if he has a jump-shot or a fast 40.

How many more stats/facts would you like me to gather before I challenge you? I can specifically get the "inner-city" type data OzensFinest spoke about and post it but you would look dumb for even questioning it.     

25 minutes ago, ECBucFan said:

4 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

They pitched a bond issue last year in BC that was soundly defeated by the voters.  Needless to say, we still didn't have a PA system at the football stadium this season.  

Beaumont ISD has the superb setup in these parts.  How's that working out for them?

stadiums like beaumonts are a dime a dozen across texas

I spoke to some people in the LCM area about their facilities and the response was it's not ever going to happen.  Lol.

Tax base is shrinking. It will prob get worse once the mill is gone.  I am really suprised that WOS and LCM haven't even discussed combining their districts.

Wouldn't hurt their athletic history at all and would definitely increase their base.