Silsbee's McCain injured in post game fight

16 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Well put. Exactly the problem

Message boards like this are like the wild wild West.  You get what you get: various levels of education, various levels of literacy.  Hardly anyone trained as a journalist.  It is what it is.   Here you get quick fast information, if you can understand it.  Quite often it is true information, but ya never know.  If you come to message boards looking for journalism I got some swamp land on the Louisiana border I want you to look at.

This is a response i got from a kid on my facebook page. 

The story they're putting out isn't all true. They only gave half the information. Yeah we were all talking.  But after the game the coaches for them sat and watched them argue with some of our fans not the players. All the players from Jasper shook hands and went straight up stairs to the locker room.  Mike Jay and Bruce Newtons  both said that they seen people from. Jasper and just started swinging that's when it started. All of that started over a twitter beef that's been going on since football season that silsbee started. the whole story needs to be out before anything.  And all involved from Jasper have been suspended from school and have 45-85 days of aec.

I said this is a terrible satiation and me being a parent NO KID should have to go thru this. Sticks and stones will break your bones but words will never hurt. 

Actually words can get someone hurt, or worse.  They can have a negative impact on a team's season as well.  Now that you think about it stuff like what happened in Jasper doesn't  just pop up out of nowhere.  Something else urged it on.  There is quite  a bit of social media activity between schools, especially on twitter.  i stumbled on to a beef between Silsbee students & probably athletes and WOS students, etc a few seasons ago.  I remember thinking then that I would not be surprised if someone got hurt or worse behind some of these beefs.  I think a Silsbee girls team did get jumped around that time, in Orange.  As far as I know and can tell that beef has since been squashed.  I would not be surprised if there were a similar beef between Silsbee and Jasper.  

At the big time D 1 college level and in the PROs what an athlete says on twitter is scrutinized constantly, by the schools and by journalists.  At the high school level not so much.

5 hours ago, Kj Dad said:

This is a response i got from a kid on my facebook page. 

The story they're putting out isn't all true. They only gave half the information. Yeah we were all talking.  But after the game the coaches for them sat and watched them argue with some of our fans not the players. All the players from Jasper shook hands and went straight up stairs to the locker room.  Mike Jay and Bruce Newtons  both said that they seen people from. Jasper and just started swinging that's when it started. All of that started over a twitter beef that's been going on since football season that silsbee started. the whole story needs to be out before anything.  And all involved from Jasper have been suspended from school and have 45-85 days of aec.

I said this is a terrible satiation and me being a parent NO KID should have to go thru this. Sticks and stones will break your bones but words will never hurt. 

I am not quite understanding this.  Was this from a Silsbee kid or Jasper.  From this statement it would sound like Mike and Bruce were the ones to start swinging first.  I have been told by more than one that the first physicality was a sneak attack on Mike.  And yes no Jasper bball players were involved.  I knew it all started with football.

36 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I would say Jasper authority, but I find it funny that NON of the Jasper players  were nowhere close to being in an unsafe situation...  That tells me that Silsbee has got to do a better job for future trips to Jasper and other out of town events....

I know there will be improvements, just not sure how much more could have been done when exiting in this case besides one more adults and having someone make sure that the parking lot was clear.  I can say that last night there were more officers from each side and that WOS gym has side doors that the buses were pulled right up to leaving only about 20 or 30 feet to traverse. I can say one thing I still noticed maybe 15 minutes after the game, there was still a large group of kids outside the gym. I am sure a lot were waiting on rides but that is the same kind of scenario as last Friday.  We just didn't have to walk through them this time.  As far as the friction that was present between WOS and Silsbee I didn't see any evidence of it remaining.  No real friction in the game and I didn't see any afterwards.  The only negative I can say at all is how little room their is for visitor fans.

1 hour ago, ST413 said:

I know there will be improvements, just not sure how much more could have been done when exiting in this case besides one more adults and having someone make sure that the parking lot was clear.  I can say that last night there were more officers from each side and that WOS gym has side doors that the buses were pulled right up to leaving only about 20 or 30 feet to traverse. I can say one thing I still noticed maybe 15 minutes after the game, there was still a large group of kids outside the gym. I am sure a lot were waiting on rides but that is the same kind of scenario as last Friday.  We just didn't have to walk through them this time.  As far as the friction that was present between WOS and Silsbee I didn't see any evidence of it remaining.  No real friction in the game and I didn't see any afterwards.  The only negative I can say at all is how little room their is for visitor fans.

I guess I had to have been there...  It just seems that when things like this escalates, you normally see it coming.  You can see the riff raff forming.  And generally, it never escalates like that when law enforcement is in plain view....  Or adults, coaches, or parents are present.  I've seen quite a few scuffles after games, never when the adults are in place.  This incident in Jasper, seems like an exception maybe.  

There wasn't enough present for the situation for sure and I wasn't right on top of it when it started. I was told by one player who was in the rear of the varsity and wasn't one really involved maybe at all, that the guys that started all of this ran from behind him and acted like he wasn't even there and at tacked Mike.  I would imagine the coaches had already gone by and were nearer the front of the group.  Not sure whe else adult wise was in the immediate area.  In hindsight sure more could have been there and you can say this or that could have been done.  In defense there has not been any incidents like this, so you don't see a need to send more people or change the way you have been doing things.  I do know there definitely needed to be more of a response once we got the players back to the buses as far as keeping the buses and players from being approached.

5 minutes ago, ST413 said:

There wasn't enough present for the situation for sure and I wasn't right on top of it when it started. I was told by one player who was in the rear of the varsity and wasn't one really involved maybe at all, that the guys that started all of this ran from behind him and acted like he wasn't even there and at tacked Mike.  I would imagine the coaches had already gone by and were nearer the front of the group.  Not sure whe else adult wise was in the immediate area.  In hindsight sure more could have been there and you can say this or that could have been done.  In defense there has not been any incidents like this, so you don't see a need to send more people or change the way you have been doing things.  I do know there definitely needed to be more of a response once we got the players back to the buses as far as keeping the buses and players from being approached.

I see what you're saying.. 

It just touches close to home because the thought of that my son could've been there...

55 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I see what you're saying.. 

It just touches close to home because the thought of that my son could've been there...

I know, and we could have come our alongside and there we would have been with a 2 year old in the middle of it.  Bad enough when it's guys you have been watching for years, have a kid in it and it gets real bad real quick.

Again, Silsbee needs to travel with more than once officer. Silsbee vs WOS and Jasper have alway been problems. People get to involved into amateur sports. I have been to several Silsbee vs HJ games where adults are close to blows. I like DUDE its high school 4A basketball! Alot of times when people don't have much else going on in life, they get wrapped up in the little things. 

34 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

Again, Silsbee needs to travel with more than once officer. Silsbee vs WOS and Jasper have alway been problems. People get to involved into amateur sports. I have been to several Silsbee vs HJ games where adults are close to blows. I like DUDE its high school 4A basketball! Alot of times when people don't have much else going on in life, they get wrapped up in the little things. 

Really good post....  For someone that 99% of their posts are outlandish and headscratch worthy....

Brent Meaux

Fracas breaks out after Jasper/Silsbee basketball game

Print
This is the hidden content, please
Font Size:

Posted: Friday, January 22, 2016 3:25 pm | Updated: 3:44 pm, Fri Jan 22, 2016.

by Steve W Stewart

Jasper Police say a fracas, which broke out among a few juveniles following a recent Jasper/Silsbee basketball game, was quickly quelled by officers. According to a report filed by Officer Toderick Griffin, it began on the parking lot outside of the Jasper High School gymnasium following the Friday night game between the two schools, which have a storied rivalry that goes back 94 years.

Police say the situation on Friday was a continuation of a problem that started with and spilled over from the 2015 football season, in which Silsbee handily defeated Jasper in their 76th meeting since 1922.

The report said witnesses told officers that both the Jasper and Silsbee boys were taunting each other as the Silsbee players were walking toward their bus to leave following the game. The witness said one of the Jasper boys threw the first punch, and then the entire group began fighting.

The incident resulted in only one injury; a Silsbee player reportedly broke his hand.

Police say the case remains under investigation, and it’s possible that charges will be filed once all of the facts are gathered.

The Jasper/Silsbee rivalry was once halted for ten years following an unimaginable incident in the late 1930’s. It was an entire stadium clearing knock-down-drag-out-melee that broke out in Jasper in 1938, and resulted in the most infamous incident between the two schools when drastic measures were taken to save the lives of the referees.

5 hours ago, ST413 said:

I am not quite understanding this.  Was this from a Silsbee kid or Jasper.  From this statement it would sound like Mike and Bruce were the ones to start swinging first.  I have been told by more than one that the first physicality was a sneak attack on Mike.  And yes no Jasper bball players were involved.  I knew it all started with football.

Jasper Kid 

5 hours ago, ST413 said:

A Jasper kid, it just bothers me knowing Mike J is a friend of my kid and ik him personally. Too close to him

Fact of the matter is this never happens in Silsbee. It always happens in Jasper.! Hope the UIL steps in" and there won't be no more Silsbee & Jasper games. If this doesn't stop some one is really going to get hurt really bad are some one mite even get killed and that's just the gods truth. Now in Texas ever body is carrying guns . And retaliation could get a lot worse next time. And I can see this happening again next year when we play there.! Witch as I said should never take place .!  Put the kid's first and their safety.