Students advised to stop chanting 'U-S-A, U-S-A' and 'air ball'

LumRaiderFan

This is the hidden content, please

From the article:

“Any action directed at opposing teams or their spectators with the intent to taunt, disrespect, distract or entice an unsporting behavior in response is not acceptable sportsmanship,” the WIAA wrote in an email obtained by the Post-Crescent. “Student groups, school administrators and event managers should take immediate steps to correct this unsporting behavior.”

SMH

7 hours ago, NDNation said:

How is chanting "USA USA" taunting?

I never understood the USA chants unless it is taunting unless it is at the Olympics or similar event where the team actual is USA. I think it is stupid. Maybe it shouldn't be a penalty just like booing is part of the game but to chant USA in a high school game is obviously meant to say that someone else isn't. 

I have seen many Nederland and PNG games in various sports over the last 50 years and have never seen someone break into a USA chant. What would be the point?

4 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

I never understood the USA chants unless it is taunting unless it is at the Olympics or similar event where the team actual is USA. I think it is stupid. Maybe it shouldn't be a penalty just like booing is part of the game but to chant USA in a high school game is obviously meant to say that someone else isn't. 

I have seen many Nederland and PNG games in various sports over the last 50 years and have never seen someone break into a USA chant. What would be the point?

Actually our band chants USA after the National Anthem. It doesn't seem to enrage the Nederland fans.lol 

3 hours ago, NDNation said:

Actually our band chants USA after the National Anthem. It doesn't seem to enrage the Nederland fans.lol 

I don't think they are chanting USA at the other team. I am sure that clapping for the National Anthem isn't offensive either.

Can you think of a reason that two high school teams should be using that chant during a game?

1 hour ago, bullets13 said:

I could see it being a taunt if they were playing a game against a mostly Hispanic school. And in that case I would find it inappropriate. Not sure about this case, though.  

Therein lies the issue. Can you imagine HJ playing HF and start chanting USA?

What is the point?

Does it appear to anyone else that this societal  "attitude" about being offensive has gone to far? Will players be told not to guard the other players with a scowl or disrespectful facial appearance?  Isnt it ironic that demonstrators in the streets of New York are allowed, by virtue of freedom of speech, to say they want dead cops but you better not chant USA?  Amazing.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 8:43 PM, stevenash said:

Does it appear to anyone else that this societal  "attitude" about being offensive has gone to far? Will players be told not to guard the other players with a scowl or disrespectful facial appearance?  Isnt it ironic that demonstrators in the streets of New York are allowed, by virtue of freedom of speech, to say they want dead cops but you better not chant USA?  Amazing.

Starts with leadership.