I've come up with a new playoff system for college football

bullets13

no they are not, heck one doesn't even play a conference champioship 

so they are not equal 

What does that have to do with ANYTHING? Oklahoma won the Conference Championship. They played EVERY team in the conference and had the best record. Why is that hard to understand?

If you're the BEST team in the SEC win your conferences Championship. Don't lose 1 game and lose YOUR championship and expect to play anymore.

What does that have to do with ANYTHING? Oklahoma won the Conference Championship. They played EVERY team in the conference and had the best record. Why is that hard to understand?

If you're the BEST team in the SEC win your conferences Championship. Don't lose 1 game and lose YOUR championship and expect to play anymore.

It mattered last year when the both of the "One True Champion's" got left at home.  The Big 12 got lucky that starting Qb's starting dropping like flies so OU could win out and get in the playoff.  

It mattered last year when the both of the "One True Champion's" got left at home.  The Big 12 got lucky that starting Qb's starting dropping like flies so OU could win out and get in the playoff.  

They got left at home because some guys around a table decided that there was not a Big XII Champion. In my system they would have not been able to exclude one of those teams (it may also have forced the Big XII to reconsider their current format.)

Luck is part of football and athletics in general.

If you're the BEST team in the SEC win your conferences Championship. Don't lose 1 game and lose YOUR championship and expect to play anymore.u

You are saying it yourselve , smh 

one conference plays all teams and another doesn't and has a tourney. You explain to me how that is egual 

once agian all conference are not egual. Why is that HARD for U to understAnd 

Neither did and they both handily beat teams that you would have put in the playoff.  Until they expand the college football playoff to 64 teams, your playoff is asinine 

No, it's not asinine. It does force the big money schools to actually win their conference and not back in like Bama and LSU a few years back. Or maybe make the Big XII expand and have a Championship game. 

5 Power 5 Conference CHAMPIONS and 3 Non-Power 5 Conference Champions. No more "pay to play".

If the AAC Champ is such an easy win or the PAC 12 is no contest, then follow what Nike says and "Just Do It".

Beat them on the field. Stop throwing around money.

You are saying it yourselve , smh 

one conference plays all teams and another doesn't and has a tourney. You explain to me how that is egual 

once agian all conference are not egual. Why is that HARD for U to understAnd 

hey man, you back? Had not seen you in awhile. One more loss to Arkansas and we might own land in Baton Rouge, that way we'll just fire everybody. 

Yes provide me one and use with with your example. One plays all and another does not 

They all play 11 games.

That's equal.

Every conference determines a "Champion" by playing football games against teams in their conference.

That's equal.

How you choose to determine your "Champion" is up to you. 

That's equal.

Now, please provide your definition.

Edited by GCMPats2

I'm saying there would be no point to schedule good teams if the whole goal is to have less than 2 losses.

Stanford played 12 Power 5 schools this season with their 2 losses being on the road at #16 Northwestern and #17 Oregon by 2 points.  Take out the non conference loss to NW and Stanford is a lock for the playoff even above OU.  There would be no benifit to playing a good shedule. 

sounds like there was no point in playing that tough schedule. They're being punished for it anyway.  That being said, if there was an 8-team playoff they'd be a shoo-in as the first 2-loss team to fill out the field, which might be enough to encourage schools to continue to schedule competitive OOC opponents.

Edited by bullets13

All of this crazy talk about letting three mid-majors in is insane.  That's why I said that they had to go undefeated to get in.  As for the talk about OOC scheduling, if you use strength of schedule to determine both seeding and which 2-loss teams will complete the field then you would still get a lot of good OOC matchups

Here's a plan- 8 Teams

Power 5 Conference Champs (ACC, Big XII, SEC, Pac 12, Big 10)

3 Highest rated Mid-Major Conference Champs plus Highest Rated Independent 

Win your conference!

Here's a plan- 8 Teams

Power 5 Conference Champs (ACC, Big XII, SEC, Pac 12, Big 10)

3 Highest rated Mid-Major Conference Champs plus Highest Rated Independent 

Win your conference!

I'm usually in agreement with you, but this is ludicrous.  We're going to make an 8-team playoff and include 3 teams that wouldn't finish better than top-4 in any of the power conferences?  I don't think so.  

I'm usually in agreement with you, but this is ludicrous.  We're going to make an 8-team playoff and include 3 teams that wouldn't finish better than top-4 in any of the power conferences?  I don't think so.  

That's just it. You assume they would not finish higher than top 4. Let them prove it on the field, not by public opinion. 

I do allow some opinion into the mix. They have to be in the Top 25. Why not give the AAC Champ a shot at OU or Bama? 

That's just it. You assume they would not finish higher than top 4. Let them prove it on the field, not by public opinion. 

I do allow some opinion into the mix. They have to be in the Top 25. Why not give the AAC Champ a shot at OU or Bama? 

I'll give you one, but not three.  One of the reasons I'm for an 8-team playoff is that it would allow for the occasional mid-major to get in.  But let's be honest, if you take the best season a mid-major team has each year, there's at least 25-30 teams (likely more) from power conferences that would've equaled or bettered their season if they played the same schedule in the same conference.  Houston is the highest ranked mid-major team right now. They're 11-1, and ranked 17th. I honestly believe Texas, who's had a dumpster fire of a season at 4-7, would be at worst 9-3 (and likely 10-2 or 11-1) if they'd played Houston's schedule.  Likewise, had Houston played UT's schedule, they'd at best be 6-5 (likely 5-6 or 4-7).  I see no realistic argument in placing Houston AND two other slightly lesser mid-major teams into an 8-team playoff.  This year that would mean putting 2-loss temple and 2-loss navy, both of whom have played the same mediocre type schedule that Houston has played, ahead of 7 or 8 one and two loss teams from power conferences who have played infinitely harder schedules.  Your playoff scenario this year would have 5 of the top 6 or 7 teams, then #17, #20, and #22.  Those three teams would make the playoffs ahead of 10-12 teams with equal or better records who'd played infinitely more difficult schedules in infinitely more difficult conferences. I don't like to see mid-majors completely overlooked because they're mid-majors, but they shouldn't be rewarded for it.

Edited by bullets13

I'll give you one, but not three.  One of the reasons I'm for an 8-team playoff is that it would allow for the occasional mid-major to get in.  But let's be honest, if you take the best season a mid-major team has each year, there's at least 25-30 teams (likely more) from power conferences that would've equaled or bettered their season if they played the same schedule in the same conference.  Houston is the highest ranked mid-major team right now. They're 11-1, and ranked 17th. I honestly believe Texas, who's had a dumpster fire of a season at 4-7, would be at worst 9-3 (and likely 10-2 or 11-1) if they'd played Houston's schedule.  Likewise, had Houston played UT's schedule, they'd at best be 6-5 (likely 5-6 or 4-7).  I see no realistic argument in placing Houston AND two other slightly lesser mid-major teams into an 8-team playoff.  This year that would mean putting 2-loss temple and 2-loss navy, both of whom have played the same mediocre type schedule that Houston has played, ahead of 7 or 8 one and two loss teams from power conferences who have played infinitely harder schedules.  Your playoff scenario this year would have 5 of the top 6 or 7 teams, then #17, #20, and #22.  Those three teams would make the playoffs ahead of 10-12 teams with equal or better records who'd played infinitely more difficult schedules in infinitely more difficult conferences. I don't like to see mid-majors completely overlooked because they're mid-majors, but they shouldn't be rewarded for it.

But everyone has the same opportunity to win the games on the field.

You take into account that a P5 school that loses 2 games should still have an opportunity to play for a NC. Why? Because they are P5? Because they might get a higher TV rating? P5 schools will still get paid. Gluttony is a sin.

Trust me. I'm not about participation ribbons. I just think EVERY BCS conference should have at least an opportunity to play for a NC. As it stands now, that's not happning.

Why not give David a chance to slay Goliath? If it works out like you say, there's no need for speculation or what ifs.  The games are played on the field. Just win.

But everyone has the same opportunity to win the games on the field.

You take into account that a P5 school that loses 2 games should still have an opportunity to play for a NC. Why? Because they are P5? Because they might get a higher TV rating? P5 schools will still get paid. Gluttony is a sin.

Trust me. I'm not about participation ribbons. I just think EVERY BCS conference should have at least an opportunity to play for a NC. As it stands now, that's not happning.

Why not give David a chance to slay Goliath? If it works out like you say, there's no need for speculation or what ifs.  The games are played on the field. Just win.

I'm fine giving one David a chance, but not giving 3 when there are 20-30 teams a year who have an equal/better body of work against tougher opponents.