**CHRIS STUMP BECOMES NEW AD/HC AT BRIDGE CITY**

KFDM COOP

Guest WBFan09

if chris takes after his brother you should be a powerhouse to be reckoned with BC...you cards have much to look forward too

im hopin to see WB and BC face off in a few years...that would be a great game

BC adds 'another' Stump to list

Tom Halliburton

The Orange Leader

BRIDGE CITY — Ronnie Thompson's coaching tree and Ron Stump's immediate family tree has produced another area head football coach.

Cris Stump and Bridge City found Monday night to be the right place and the right time for the 43-year-old Stump to accept his first-ever head coaching position.

Cardinal Country will have more than Redbirds filling its airways next fall. Stump and the spread offense are bound to wing it here just as they have at West Brook and several previous outposts.

A proven offensive football coach with a pass-happy approach, Stump has accepted a two-year contract in the $62,000 annual salary range. Bridge City officials hope Stump can start "as soon as possible" so that he can catch up on the Cardinals' off-season program.

"I'm very excited about it," Stump said, wearing a Cardinal red tie for the occasion. "The sooner, the better.... I think it's something that I've wanted to do for a long time."

Bridge City schools superintendent Darrell Myers submitted the recommendation to his seven trustees on Monday night. Myers could only hope that Stump's tenure would be far less stormy than the blustery weather conditions outside the BCISD board room.

Since his wife Rebecca formerly worked in the school district and two of their four children currently attended school in Bridge City, the adaptation period should not exist whatsoever for the third of Ron Stump's four sons.

"That was one of the deals I tried to get across to them (the school board last week in the interview)," Stump said.

For those keeping score, the oldest one and youngest one -- Ron and Craig -- still coach at Beaumont West Brook. Former McNeese State standout Don resides in Lake Charles and remains the lone sibling to avoid the coaching profession.

Myers and BC's board also were quite fond of Deweyville head coach Dwight Bickham and BC offensive coordinator Troy Bolton but board president Brian Beard cited the belief that the addition of Stump could "generate some new energy" for the Cardinals program.

"I feel very positive that Cris is going to do great in this district," Beard said. "I have nothing but good to say about him. I feel there's new zeal that's going to come forward here... Dr. Myers and the screening committee brought the three names forward last week.

"I think (Dwight) Bickham and (Troy) Bolton made it a tough choice for us. But we had a meeting and discussed the candidates. I feel he (Myers) made a great recommendation."

Stump is quite familiar with shouldering the chore of play selection. He assumed those duties at Barbers Hill and shared them at Katy Cinco Ranch after that. The Katy school reached the 5A playoffs for the first time in school history in 2004.

When younger brother Craig moved from Kelly to West Brook, Cris stepped in as offensive coordinator for two seasons.

Stump said he had interviewed for head coaching positions at four places prior to BC.

"We're going to spread it out and throw it around and see what happens," he said. "When Craig got hired (at West Brook), he told the paper it was going to 'Basketball on Grass' and when Ronnie got back to Port Arthur (Memorial), he called it 'Star Wars'. I don't know yet what we're going to call it. I don't have a name for it.

"We're going to come in here and build a program.... work ethic... accountability.... We're going to go to work and that shouldn't change."

Dr. Myers indicated that he guaranteed Stump the right to hire one varsity assistant coach. Any adjustments beyond that within BC's staff would have to occur by attrition.

Stump replaced the 56-year-old Claude Tarver who compiled a 36-19 record with three playoff teams over a five-year tenure. One of the most successful Southeast Texas coaches ever, Tarver resigned Dec. 19 after his wife Karon accepted an administrative position with the Fort Worth Independent School District.

Glad to see BC hire coach Stump. All the finalist were good. I hope he can develope our kids the way West Brook's system did for them. I am sorry this is his first head coaching job but I hope it is the last one for him. What I mean by that is that I hope he is successful and will want to stay in BC like other successfull coaches have in other schools such as Hooks at WOS, Newman at Nederland and Barbay at Newton. I hope the community will get behind him and support our kids in the Bridge City atheletics. Let's go coach Stump.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476