Business teacher arrested for meth

Mr. Buddy Garrity

@12NewsNow: Business teacher at Vidor High School arrested for possession of methamphetamine.

This is the hidden content, please

Maybe an eerie coincidence but it sure seems like ppl that are from Vinton are making the news for the wrong reasons the few weeks, this is the 5th person I've seen from there the past month get in some trouble in Orange County. 

@12NewsNow: Business teacher at Vidor High School arrested for possession of methamphetamine.

Maybe an eerie coincidence but it sure seems like ppl that are from Vinton are making the news for the wrong reasons the few weeks, this is the 5th person I've seen from there the past month get in some trouble in Orange County. 

I just found her on Facebook. She probably kept this drug problem separate from her work. There are a lot of pictures of her and kids ridding in cars. She appears to be married with children.....With that said, I know if I trusted a teacher to transport my kid to school events and this happened.....I may be right behind her in jail...... 

She can get from 5-99 years.........

Hey TVC....what is a likely sentence for a first timer like she is? Is that something you can guess at?

and what a teachable moment for my 14 year old.  He watched it on the news and when he heard 99 years he was like WOW! I said yea, if you were caught with that stuff right now, that would be a life sentence for you.....and you're 14.......Just say NO son, just say NO!

She can get from 5-99 years.........

Hey TVC....what is a likely sentence for a first timer like she is? Is that something you can guess at?

10 years probation if she pleads guilty. 

Probation is tough and she will likely break it if she continues to do stupid stuff. It is extremely restrictive and costs a lot of money to the probationer.

Serves her right........I don't see how she would not plead guilty since they pulled it out her pants

With no information at all on the case, the usual way the defense will attack the case is the officer's probable cause for the detention and eventually the arrest. If an officer cannot justify a detention enough to convince a judge, the entire case will be thrown out for unlawfully obtained evidence. 

If the information on the probable cause is sufficient enough (which is typical) that a defense attorney knows that he is about 99.5% chance to lose a motion to suppress the evidence, the plea deals will start. Even if it gets to a suppression of evidence hearing, if the judge rules that the evidence will be allowed into court, the case usually ends. At that point and before a jury hears the case, a judge has said that the officers acted properly in his/her opinion and will allow a jury to find that the substance found on her person was lawfully obtained. That for sure will almost always result in a plea deal because most of the time no one wants to face a jury that might not have any sympathy and "throw the book" at the defendant and give something like 50 years in prison with no probation. Of course a jury might feel sympathy and give a 5 year sentence probated. The problem for the defendant is that do you wish to roll the dice and take that risk which can mean basically being given a second chance (probation) or decades in prison.

Most will opt for the plea deal even if it involves some jail time in lieu of making a jury mad.