2015-16 TABC State Rankings, FINAL RANKINGS

Jim Hicks opinion of the Pre-Season Rankings: 

5A
Beaumont Ozen is listed at #2 in the state (over #3 Beaumont Central) is definitely an eye opener.  Actually this is dead wrong and even Beaumont fans know it. Ozen has been getting their heads handed to them during various Fall Ball events.  The #2  5A team in the state don't lose Fall Spring or Summer ball vs the likes of Beaumont Kelly.  Sure, Ozen's top prospect is still on the football field, but if this young man can indeed lead the Panthers back to state, then he should be selected "Mr. Basketball" or the Most Valuable Player in all of 5A. 

Elkins is listed at #14 (behind #11 Marshall who lost their best player Christian Barrett via transfer to Westbury Christian).

The fact that Bush was not listed among the Top 25 teams in the state is almost as equal of an error as placing Ozen at #2.  This Bush team is flat out loaded (they feature the best sophmore backcourt in the state, hands down) and TABC just supplied this team with all the motivation they needed to enter this season with one helluva chip on their shoulder. 

Sure, Jimmy can say it but when I post it I'm crazy.  

If I am not mistaken Wheatley Leading Scorer was out with a season ending injury during the regular season.  He should be available this season.

Correct in that the young man tore his acl and missed the post season but sadly he was a senior last year. I spoke with him during warmups of the Silsbee game and he told me that the school that offered him was staying committed to him with the scholly. Can't remember the school.

Wheatly had 3 starters coming back. I still have the program.The post with the goggles and 2 guards. Sterling was all senior except for like 3 kids. Scarbough will be back with the Hunter Janceck kid and that real athletic freshman. Navasota and LA Marque will be loaded along with HJ.

Edited by BADSANTA

Wheatly had 3 starters coming back. I still have the program.The post with the goggles and 2 guards. Sterling was all senior except for like 3 kids. Scarbough will be back with the Hunter Janceck kid and that real athletic freshman. Navasota and LA Marque will be loaded along with HJ.

LA Marque will be in the EC Tour.

• 4 weeks later...

What kind of height does Silsbee have this year?

The great equalizer is running and pressing.  I saw several ball handlers.  And two or three 3 ball shooters.  Nice to see the team get recognition as # 1.  I wonder if they will be in that same place after Central tonight & after the tournaments.  If not that's cool too.  It is really all about preparing for district and more importantly the playoffs.

Silsbee's ranking in the next polls should be interesting.  That's okay, at the end of the day, or better yet, at the end of the season, polls and rankings don't mean all that much.  It is better to taste the bitterness of defeat now instead of the first game in the playoffs.  I am looking forward to the next game, on the 7th.

Also, how is Kountze still #2?

I questioned that too. I see Aransas Pass dropped a few. They could also be looking at "who" Kountze lost to. I would count the loss to LC-M as a bad, BAD loss. I wasn't there so I'm not sure what happened... 

I will say that Kountze hasn't had their steady lineup yet.. Edwards #4 missed a few games in the H-J tournament and the other starter McMahon #3 only played in the West Brook game. 

Edited by KHSAlum400

I questioned that too. I see Aransas Pass dropped a few. They could also be looking at "who" Kountze lost to. I would count the loss to LC-M as a bad, BAD loss. I wasn't there so I'm not sure what happened... 

I will say that Kountze hasn't had their steady lineup yet.. Edwards #4 missed a few games in the H-J tournament and the other starter McMahon #3 only played in the West Brook game. 

I'll say this... I'm glad to see them not overly punished for playing a very tough schedule to this point.  The LCM loss is a bad one.  Other than that, you've got losses to  2A #1 Big Sandy (and i believe Big Sandy would be ranked #1 if they were in 3A as well), 4A #23 Hudson twice, 4A #21 HJ, and a good 5A playoff team in Nederland.  But still, 8-6 doesn't look very good on paper, and i'm surprised they  haven't dropped at least a little bit.