WOS (4-0) vs Richmond Foster (3-1)

Goblin

Didn't you say in another post that Foster was better than last year??? Maybe I'm wrong, but it sure seems like that was said a couple of times. Most of the reason for our lack of a passing attack last year was because of them blitzing the outside linebacker every play. The kid could run and gave us all kinds of problems. He is not there anymore. Again, you base everything on stats, you maybe about to learn that football is about much more than stats. Maybe not, but at least we have your prediction to discuss later. We'll talk more then.

Oh ya, one more thing, there maybe 2 players that go both ways for WOS. And they are not DB/WR's.

I didn't say Foster was better than last year, I said they were better on offense. Last year they were a top 10 team in the state but they never really scared anybody over here because they couldn't score. This year their defense isn't what it was but they can move the ball more efficiently.

If blitzing was a problem last year do you not think they'll do the same this year? WOS had 22 carries for 18 yards last year, was the blitzing the cause of that too? WOS literally couldn't move the ball last year unless they threw it to DT. I didn't see the game, the stats tell me that and if you say any different you're fooling yourself. Eric Ogor wasn't the only reason for that either.

If you're blitzing that means the receivers are most likely manned up, why couldn't they beat coverage? If blitzing is killing you why not go to your second act running the ball? Did the coach not have some "blitz beaters" in the playbook The stats tell me that outside of DT when Dallas was blitzed he got rid of the ball quickly at times but the Foster dbs were good enough to tackle and keep the gains short.  

Like you said though, we'll see if your gut feeling is right or if they play to the numbers?

OK, I knew I wasn't losing my mind... So, again, please clarify, Foster is or is not better this year?????

I wouldn't worry too much about this kid, First, he doesn't think Crosby should play WO-S as they should favor Houston area "5A powers" like Foster, only to find that WO-S scheduled Foster over the past two years and Crosby has not.  So then he has to back up and make it look like Foster is gonna donkey stomp WO-S, but then he looks at the stats and sees that might not happen.  He is just scrambling to find any way he can to portray Crosby as being oh so superior to WO-S.

Gas, this guy crawls backward so much that he will probably be Crosby's rep for the Intl. Crawfish Festival over in Breaux Bridge next year!

I wouldn't worry too much about this kid, First, he doesn't think Crosby should play WO-S as they should favor Houston area "5A powers" like Foster, only to find that WO-S scheduled Foster over the past two years and Crosby has not.  So then he has to back up and make it look like Foster is gonna donkey stomp WO-S, but then he looks at the stats and sees that might not happen.  He is just scrambling to find any way he can to portray Crosby as being oh so superior to WO-S.

Gas, this guy crawls backward so much that he will probably be Crosby's rep for the Intl. Crawfish Festival over in Breaux Bridge next year!

I'm still trying to figure out what he is saying.lol

Me too, Gun. That's why I made him make a clear cut prediction, but what he came with was pretty weak for someone so sure of another teams superiority. You would think they would, at least, double our stats and win by 3 TD's. But when called out about that they, all of a sudden, aren't as good as he made them sound in the beginning, lol. I mean, if they have such great DB's, WR's and are going to dominate the LOS, but only win by 14 points???? LMBO

It sounds to me like this Cougar character is just looking for a way...ANY kind of way...to talk down about WO-S and probably also believes in that mythical "east of the Trinity" crap, as if that's some monumental dividing line like Cajun Louisiana and their northern neighbors.

Mr. Cougar might be interested to know that within the last few days, Crosby TURNED DOWN the opportunity to play WO-S in football for 2016. Cougar14.2, why don't you go ask the Crosby HC if they will play us next year, and if not, why.

WO-S always tries to play a strong pre-district and there is a reason for it.  That is why looking back, the  likes of PN-G, Jasper, Bay City, Silsbee, Newton (who also isn't scared to play up), Central, Giddings, Foster and the list could go on....show up on the schedule.  Yes, we might take some lumps along the way but it only makes you better.  Anything worth doing is worth doing well.  As a little bit of history nerd, it reminds me of this excerpt from John F. Kennedy's speech at Rice in regards to the space race.

"But why, some say, the moon?  Why choose this as our goal?  And they may ask why climb the highest mountain?  Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic?  Why does Rice play Texas?

"We choose to go to the moon.  We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal  will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win....."

It sounds to me like this Cougar character is just looking for a way...ANY kind of way...to talk down about WO-S and probably also believes in that mythical "east of the Trinity" crap, as if that's some monumental dividing line like Cajun Louisiana and their northern neighbors.

Mr. Cougar might be interested to know that within the last few days, Crosby TURNED DOWN the opportunity to play WO-S in football for 2016. Cougar14.2, why don't you go ask the Crosby HC if they will play us next year, and if not, why.

Why would Crosby play WOS? What would they get from the game? Is it a historical matchup, can they meet them in the playoffs? There would be nothing mutual about the game, Crosby would be doing WOS a favor by giving them the chance to beat them. 

It's an absolute no win situation for Crosby. If WOS wins we lost to a school a third out size, if we win we "we were supposed to". There's 0 value in that game, Riordan would get 0 credit from his 5A powerhouse peers and I'm sure if WOS is calling there's even bigger games to be made.

As far as the mythical East of the Trinity crap it's basically a feeling that the officiating somehow becomes swayed when teams from this vicinity make those trips. Rather that's true or not I'm sure that's a big part of the "myth". 

I don't know what you mean by the "talk down" thing? I've said many times on here WOS is one of the ten or so schools in the state that will always compete at a very high level due to the amount of talent they produce comparable to their classification. That talent also produces at the next level which I think is also a good indicator of program strength. 

Saying I don't think you will beat a quality program with a bunch of quality players, that's probably going to turn an enrollment of over 2000 kids, is far from a negative comment. 

I've finally had time to "piddle" around and look at who these "juggernauts" have played this year. I couldn't get past their first game where they gave up 42 points and 400 yards of offense to a 1-2 Katy Tompkins. Subsequently, Tompkins has scored 3 points and 9 points in their other 2 games... 

That was the first game of the season and Foster turned it over 6 times, I'm thinking you're going to get a squad that plays closer to what you saw last week against Marshall. For Foster to be able to shut out a squad with that level of athlete says a lot. Marshall won the 2015 5A track and field championship, not to mention produced a 5-star corner who happens to be DT's teammate now. Marshall's current qb is committed to Arizona State to play WR and ironically enough to catch passes from WOS' old qb. 

You refer to them as a juggernaut, I think Foster is going to go 8-3 or 7-4 with possibly two district losses and get blown out in the first round by Elkins or Ridge Point. I believe they're #9 in the 5A area rankings here. A 2 point loss to 6A Reagan dropped them down, Reagan's only loss might be Lamar they way they look so far though. 

Why would Crosby play WOS? What would they get from the game? Is it a historical matchup, can they meet them in the playoffs? There would be nothing mutual about the game, Crosby would be doing WOS a favor by giving them the chance to beat them. 

It's an absolute no win situation for Crosby. If WOS wins we lost to a school a third out size, if we win we "we were supposed to". There's 0 value in that game, Riordan would get 0 credit from his 5A powerhouse peers and I'm sure if WOS is calling there's even bigger games to be made.

As far as the mythical East of the Trinity crap it's basically a feeling that the officiating somehow becomes swayed when teams from this vicinity make those trips. Rather that's true or not I'm sure that's a big part of the "myth". 

I don't know what you mean by the "talk down" thing? I've said many times on here WOS is one of the ten or so schools in the state that will always compete at a very high level due to the amount of talent they produce comparable to their classification. That talent also produces at the next level which I think is also a good indicator of program strength. 

Saying I don't think you will beat a quality program with a bunch of quality players, that's probably going to turn an enrollment of over 2000 kids, is far from a negative comment. 

Crosby will never play WOS , they know it's a "no win" both ways ego buster and they can't hang with WOS  anyway . And I give em  the fact that even if they win they should have so !!!! Anyway we not only don't mind playing /  scrimmaging WOS , we enjoy it because both schools have knowledgable respectful fans and quality programs who enjoy the competition , knowing  it makes us both better , shows us where we stand & in the long run , especially  in years like this one where both of us had a lot of holes to fill,  because  by the end of the season Crosby won't want to play either one of us . 

The "east of the Trinity" nonsense I was referring to has nothing to do with officiating. It's a mentality that SOME over there (even though I live in north Houston myself) seem to have toward Golden Triangle teams and it has been communicated many times on this board in past years. It has more to do with "we're better than you because we're on the west side." You may think that way yourself or maybe not. About the "talking down" thing...because of your comments about the superiority of Foster, giving inconsistent reasons for such, and the prediction of a WO-S loss, it seems more likely a rooting interest to see Foster win more than any other reason, and that's OK. I just wanted to state the obvious.

Here's a little inside scoop for ya. The Foster HC told the WO-S HC over the summer this would be the last year he would schedule us. When he was reminded that they won the game last year, the Foster coach then said "We won only on the scoreboard" and that WO-S gave them all they could handle. True story. The game was a defensive dogfight. I expect another low scoring game with no prediction of a winner. However, I do not believe Foster will dominate or win by two or more scores.

You know darn well you would love to see a Crosby vs. WO-S match up.

Crosby will never play WOS , they know it's a "no win" both ways ego buster and they can't hang with WOS  anyway . And I give em  the fact that even if they win they should have so !!!! Anyway we not only don't mind playing /  scrimmaging WOS , we enjoy it because both schools have knowledgable respectful fans and quality programs who enjoy the competition , knowing  it makes us both better , shows us where we stand & in the long run , especially  in years like this one where both of us had a lot of holes to fill,  because  by the end of the season Crosby won't want to play either one of us . 

Which school do you represent?

Lol, aren't you from Nederland? Y'all lost to the 4th place team in our district last year after winning yours. Y'all also lost both times you did play Crosby at the end of the season. I'm not sure the reason Willis was on the schedule but there's probably twenty 5A or 6A schools within 30 mins of Crosby, even a school like Huffman who neighbors us is a good scrimmage option. 

WOS by 10 if they want it and I think they do . Foster not built for speed but if u let em shove u around ????

Foster won't even play Ned anymore . I don't think they care much for physical games . 

Ned played Foster before? News to me. What years they played??

Foster not built for speed?  Hmmm, interesting. 

*edit: I found it, playoffs in 2003. That "Foster wont even play Ned anymore" statement is weird.*

This is the hidden content, please

Edited by Mr. Buddy Garrity
Found the year

The "east of the Trinity" nonsense I was referring to has nothing to do with officiating. It's a mentality that SOME over there (even though I live in north Houston myself) seem to have toward Golden Triangle teams and it has been communicated many times on this board in past years. It has more to do with "we're better than you because we're on the west side." You may think that way yourself or maybe not. About the "talking down" thing...because of your comments about the superiority of Foster, giving inconsistent reasons for such, and the prediction of a WO-S loss, it seems more likely a rooting interest to see Foster win more than any other reason, and that's OK. I just wanted to state the obvious.

Here's a little inside scoop for ya. The Foster HC told the WO-S HC over the summer this would be the last year he would schedule us. When he was reminded that they won the game last year, the Foster coach then said "We won only on the scoreboard" and that WO-S gave them all they could handle. True story. The game was a defensive dogfight. I expect another low scoring game with no prediction of a winner. However, I do not believe Foster will dominate or win by two or more scores.

You know darn well you would love to see a Crosby vs. WO-S match up.

I think my reasoning was consistent. I said they loved the ball more effectively this year, the defense isn't as good but WOS only scored 7 offensive points on them last year. I think they'll manage more this year but so will Foster. Maybe the coach did say that, statistically it looks like Foster won too though. Not sure what other places he was talking about?

You keep saying "dominate WOS". I said Foster would be dominant at the line of scrimmage which would be expected playing a solid 5A team with 2000 kids. 

You kind of proved my point though. If it's "giving them all they could handle"  they're worried about then why did schedule Brenham, who they beat the year Brenham was a finalist? You don't play the game anymore because it doesn't benefit both teams equally, even at a neutral site. 

You're right, I wouldn't mind seeing a WOS vs Crosby matchup. That's a big game for SETX fans though, there are probably 15 games we could play in the Houston area alone that would be bigger on a statewide scale. Not to mention a school like John Tyler or Ennis who we've already played in preseason before. 

Please inform me how playing "down" to a WOS team is a bad thing for any 5A school? Some people need to take a step back and learn a lesson....WOS plays "down" to a Newton team (because they are GOOD doesn't matter what classification) and loses. Guess who goes on to play for a State Championship....maybe Crosby needs to take a note from the WOS coaches, might be playing at NRG instead of watching on the telly :)

Please inform me how playing "down" to a WOS team is a bad thing for any 5A school? Some people need to take a step back and learn a lesson....WOS plays "down" to a Newton team (because they are GOOD doesn't matter what classification) and loses. Guess who goes on to play for a State Championship....maybe Crosby needs to take a note from the WOS coaches, might be playing at NRG instead of watching on the telly :)

You gone and turned British on us? LOL!!