Kirbyville-Newton Scrimmage/Post comments here!

Good showing by Newton , passing game still needs work .. No pocket protection for Barbay or Sumrall but both played well . Sumrall completed 2 passes one for a TD , Barbay took a lot of hits and was 1-4 I don't think he is use to the bootleg pass game yet . Though he did manage a few yards on the ground , he was on the run a lot with almost no pocket protection . Run game look great and D look faster than last year with a few miscues in the secondary . 

Edited by Back2swag

How did Newton D play tonight versus last year in that scrimmage? More depth? 

Newton looked real good on defense looked fast and very aggressive. Last season they were still trying to figure out who was playing where seemed like this year they had it figured out already. Looks like they have more depth. On offense I feel like the QB was holding the ball to long on some pass plays and he took some sacks that's he didn't need to if he would get ball out quicker. Think they will get that figured out with time with the QB and Receivers. All in all newton looked good I thought some small things to work on but that will come with more practice and games. I'm excited for another good year by the Eagles.

Newton looked real good on defense looked fast and very aggressive. Last season they were still trying to figure out who was playing where seemed like this year they had it figured out already. Looks like they have more depth. On offense I feel like the QB was holding the ball to long on some pass plays and he took some sacks that's he didn't need to if he would get ball out quicker. Think they will get that figured out with time with the QB and Receivers. All in all newton looked good I thought some small things to work on but that will come with more practice and games. I'm excited for another good year by the Eagles.

you know why I asked right?  I think the team is in good hands while W.T. takes however long he needs to get healthy, obviously his staff has things 100% under control ;)

A lot of the kids are not in shape to go both ways in this heat like you will see later in the season, therefore you have kids that are not as good playing in these scrimmages and the first few games. This is what a scrimmage is all about, it evaluates what you have. AGAIN, it's just a scrimmage. No one won, no one lost.  Kirbyville will be all right. Good luck to both teams. 

I agree with what purpleeagle said. This is just a scrimmage. If you remember, Kirbyville was 'better' than Newton last yr in the scrimmage and yet Newton went on to state while Kirbyville didn't. The end of the yr is what matters, not the first. Newton will continue to be awesome, and Kirbyville will be fine. I'm ready.. 

I agree with Eagleborn, Newton looked pretty darn good. QB holding the ball too long? That had more to do with Kirbyville covering receivers than holding the ball too long. There also was a problem at left tackle on a few drop back style pass plays. Even anyone that watched "Blindside" should have been able to see that. Newton had some good quickness that helped on the offensive line with the old bread and butter scat. Defense has enough returning starters that understand how to play. One thing no one has mentioned is these boys are still playing for Coach Johnston. Each and every day. They practice for Coach Johnston. And they will win for Coach Johnston. They are family with Coach Johnston.

Kirbyville will be fine, they have the athletes and coaching.  Just gotta get the chemistry and everyone on the same page.  

Defense has some new faces that are still learning the system and will improve over time.   

I think what they just experienced in newton will benefit and humble the players as much as it will help the coaches.  Better to happen in first week rather than week 10 or 12.  Now you know where you stand.  Seniors time to step it up.  

From a Kirbyville standpoint avoiding any major injuries Kirbyville is still a 10-0 district championship team.

Pros-

1.Ballard island (great cover corner)

2. 1st team Offensive line was good on pass blocking for the most part. #78 Tyandre Cooper is a monster! 

3. Passing game has potential to be lethal

4. Hard hitting defense led by Dewayne Diggles with many others 

Cons-

1. Newton had good run blocking but we could've done better getting of block in my opinion (Great backs won't get tackled by MOST secondary players) Newton has great backs!

2. Ty Dennis injury don't know the severity but know he didn't return though. Praying for fast healing. Great kid and great player.

3. Had guys that were a little winded playing both ways (I know Newton has guys playing both ways too) 

4. Newtons backs were so quick we couldn't get off blocks fast enough to do anything about it. 

Newton definitely looked better than Kirbyville in this one. Ty Dennis maybe played two plays the whole game. He was favoring his ankle. Newtons backs are great I think Newton will have a great season Kirbyville has a little work to do. 

Yeah he apparently got hurt on the 1st play and then came back in close to end and got hit again and got hurt.