Kirbyville-Newton Scrimmage/Post comments here!

OK, I'll be the first to bite.  But I will do it in the spirit of the thread title.  I predict that both Kirbyville and Newton will show up at the scrimmage tomorrow.  I predict that both Coach Neece and Coach Johnston will try different players at different positions and try different things with those different players to see what may or may not work during the regular season (which is called the REGULAR season for a reason).  Some players and plays will impress and some players and plays will disappoint and show the coaches what they need to work on for the beginning of the regular season (which again, I remind is called the REGULAR season for a reason).   I predict that whatever yardage, scores, sacks, tackle, interceptions or fumbles which occur will be credited (or be a blemish) to a players regular season statistics (which, once again, I remind is called the REGULAR season for a reason).  Moreover, I predict that the result of this scrimmage will not appear in any official record for either team and that on August 28th, the only ones that will even recall the result of the scrimmage are those who use statistics of a scrimmage as a source of community pride.

That is all.

Edited by WOSgrad

Scrimmages are played just so that each team can see their strengths and weaknesses and what to work on. No secret there. But anybody that thinks the players don't give 100% at them is delusional. A lot of times it's obvious when one team 'beats' the other one in a scrimmage but I can just about promise you, that won't be the case in this one. 

You recover a fumble and can't advance for TD plus they get the ball back to start over. You intercept a pass and you can't advance for TD and they get he ball back. You don't return kicks, You don't do anything that in a real ballgame could break your spirit and be a game changer.

It's a primer and it will be hot. The Newton bunch will be ready, but don't expect the Newton coaches to do much more than put kids in a lot of different positions and see how they respond. See which ones want to play and which ones don't. I want to see the Barbay kid under center with a game situation. I've been by the practices a couple times this week and he seems to be pretty confident and knows what he's doing in the system. Tanner Holmes will like getting to hit somebody besides the purple jerseys and some of the purple jerseys will be glad to see him hit someone else too! I'm not sure if Coach Johnston will make it out for the game. I know he wants to be with these kids real bad, but I personally would like for him to remain home and continue to build his strength and heal. After all, it's just a scrimmage....... :)

Honest, straight forward as always rykerx144. :) You know I will always slant everything towards my Newton Eagles, except when they play Kirbyville for I always feel a little sorry for the Cat's, UNTIL this past season. The Newton-Kirbyville rivalry goes back to 1921 and only last year did Newton accomplish something that matched the great Cats. We lost our second state championship game and now stand as equals on the losing of championships. We do have a 3 win lead over the Cats on STATE CHAMPION TROPHIES!! Prayers for you my friend and there is no where in the world better than MD Anderson to cure you. Purple Pride Never Dies!!