District 12-3A D1 Way-Too-Early Predictions or Opinions

Okay guys, let's get it started. Baseball is over and now it's time to swing back into the greatest sport on Earth. I want to get everyone's opinion on everything that is District 12-3A D1. How good will Kirbyville and EC be? How down is Buna this year? Can second-year head coach Mike Waldie get Woodville over the hump and competing for a playoff spot? Will Grayland Arnold lead Kountze to the top of the district? How will Anahuac do? And who will fight it out to avoid being in the woodshed?

My Way-Too-Early Predictions:

1. Kirbyville - The Wildkats should be one of the top teams in the state this year. They're coming off a very successful season and aren't losing too much. They bring back the most lethal backfield threat in the entire district in Junior tailback Ty Dennis and return multiple starters from one of the top defenses in the state last year, as well as adding one of the top defensive minds in this area in Steve Fentress and his son, who happens to be a hell of a safety from what I hear. 

2. East Chambers - The Bucs, much like Kirbyville, should also be one of the top teams in the state. They return multiple starters on both sides of the ball and also garner one of the top defenses in the state. I believe Kirbyville brings back too much depth in their backfield this year. 

3. Kountze - The potential darkhorse for a district championship, Kountze has all the offensive talent in the world. They return the districts top player (who also happens to be one of the top recruits in the area) in Grayland Arnold. The only questionable part of Kountze's team is the offensive and defensive fronts. If they can straighten that out, this team, along with new OC Larry Haynes (former HC at Lumberton), can shock alot of people. 

4. Woodville - This one was a pretty tough call and I would be lying if I said there wasn't a little hometown bias swirling inside of me. But the Eagles, coming off a successful first year under HC Mike Waldie, should be much improved on the defensive side of the ball. Losing Marqui Jackson will be a huge loss, but Whitehead, the incoming starter for the Eagles, has above average throwing ability and is a smart athlete. Woodville returns 8 starters on a defense who should be among the top in this district. I think they edge Buna for this spot.

5. Buna - The Cougars lost the most of any team in the entire district to graduation. Bradley Morgan's bunch always finds a way to be competitive though. The "next man up" philosophy will come in a huge way over this summer and into camp in August. Buna could surprise people and make their way up toward the top of this district, but for now I have them here. 

6. Anahuac - No surprise here really. We know they're not in the woodshed, but they haven't really been able to compete with the top 5 in this district yet. I don't know what they return this year, but I know after blowout losses at the hands of Woodville and Buna last year, I don't see much changing. They will always have the athletes down in Anahuac. It's just a matter of putting it all together into a team effort to win. 

7. Warren - Maybe a little bit of a shock here for some people. Although they're now on their third head coach in as many years, the culture in Warren has shifted a bit. They want to win and are beginning to put in the hard work to do it. They're a long ways from the top of this district, but they have the potential to shock a few people, as Woodville should know well. 

8. Hardin - After finishing one spot from the bottom last year, as well as losing many of their top players to graduation, I don't expect much from Hardin. This will be what some will call a "rebuilding year". But hey, I've been wrong before. The kids down there play very hard and are very passionate about the game of football. The fans also want to win as well and always seem to be very supportive. 

District MVP: Ty Dennis, Kirbyville

Coach of the Year: Greg Neece, Kirbyville

It should be a really good battle for 1st/2nd in this district.  I am giving Kirbyville the edge at this point.  How did the JV's turn out in this district last year?

Will Kirbyville have much of a passing game?

Kirbyville is probably moving up the best JV squad and returning at least 9 on the offensive side inlcuding QB, WR's and a very quick backfield.  They should have a passing game with a good Oline returing also.

Edited by rykerx144

I heard Arnold wad moving to Warren.

Well since some brought up the topic of Gayland Arnold moving...I heard the same but it was Silsbee...then in another thread ( basketball ) AAW made a comment about Grayland and Silsbee...so who has the skinny and who is correct. Because if either is correct than Kountze just lost their athletic cornerstone and possibly a cascade of transfers to follow. I hope this is just scuttlebutt!

Warren was the district champs for JV last year.  There was some really good athletes on that team and some size as well.  We will have to see how they do on the varsity level.  At least it is a positive.

I did not know that. I knew Warren had a good JV bunch last year though. If you can keep this coach and system for the next at least three years, their success should translate to the varsity level.