District 12-3A D1 Way-Too-Early Predictions or Opinions

I did not know that. I knew Warren had a good JV bunch last year though. If you can keep this coach and system for the next at least three years, their success should translate to the varsity level.

​We are hoping it will.  Like you said, we need someone to committ to the boys.

It would depend on why he went , its common for kids to want to leave for greener pastures but the UIL still legislates these moves. With Haynes at the helm of the offense Kountze will be formidable on that side of the ball. Duane will be able to concentrate on the defense, if that side of the ball is better they will be legit.

​with the high school being on the PEG list he can go anywhere as long as he claims academic reasons for transfer and because of the current listing he does not have to sit out any games...UIL has to approve and the DC has to sign off...once again as long as it is for academic reasons. I am concerned not just about Grayland leaving...it concerns me because I am afraid parents will use this as an excuse to move for athletic purposes while claiming academic and it could really set the athletic program back and erase our gains we have worked so hard to achieve.  

​Good question...I am spit balling here but I would say it has to do with curriculum or lack there of...just guessing

​When all 3 schools (Elem, JH, HS) are on the PEG list, it has a whole lot to do with the curriculum.  It starts with the one sitting behind the big desk at the admin. building.

​with the high school being on the PEG list he can go anywhere as long as he claims academic reasons for transfer and because of the current listing he does not have to sit out any games...UIL has to approve and the DC has to sign off...once again as long as it is for academic reasons. I am concerned not just about Grayland leaving...it concerns me because I am afraid parents will use this as an excuse to move for athletic purposes while claiming academic and it could really set the athletic program back and erase our gains we have worked so hard to achieve.  

If one kid, even if it's Arnold is holding your program together and if he leaves you think the whole program falls apart then you have bigger problems than I thought. Honestly I think your "gains you worked so hard for" left with a certain coach last year. 

Kids won despite coaching at times...lol...and that's just being honest. As far as the education issues at Kountze (by the way the elem. was not included) the number one cause for not having a vertical and horizontal alignment in the curriculum and materials to apply along with accountability has everything to do with a serious lack of funding and that's where I am stoping because this is a sports thread. One kid does not make a program but when you have one as influential as Grayland...well there arises my concerns of a cascade of transfers.  Quote I heard from more than one kid..."oh Grayland leaves I'm gone " now maybe and maybe not but you have 5 or 6 core football which are also basketball players get up and leave....WE HAVE AN ISSUE! Our program does not have the depth that many other programs have...I hope that changes but a shot to the legs is not what a growing evolving program needs. We will see folks...I hope for the best. Coach Joub it's time to circle the wagons bro! JMO

• 2 weeks later...

Kountze having or not having a defense won't matter. Kirbyville will walk through this district and should have a great shot at state of they can get through Cameron.

There won't be any "walking" through this district. EC is too tough, Kountze has top much potenti, and Buna will always compete well. Kirbyville should win it, but it won't be easy. 

There won't be any "walking" through this district. EC is too tough, Kountze has top much potenti, and Buna will always compete well. Kirbyville should win it, but it won't be easy. 

​EC is the only team that may come within 2 td's of Kirbyville, but (as we saw last year in a lot of districts)...anything can happen no matter what is SUPPOSED  to happen. Even still, I fell very confident that the district is Kirbyville's to lose. I hope it turns out to be as exciting as last year's was though tbh.

Warren was the district champs for JV last year.  There was some really good athletes on that team and some size as well.  We will have to see how they do on the varsity level.  At least it is a positive.

I'm not saying it happened..but a lot of times new coaches will "stack" sub varsity teams so they will have some success. It's a good ploy to get kids to buy into a system. Especially if they're not known for success. I bet if Babin would've known it was going to be 1 and done, then he would've had a few more of those district champ jv boys on his varsity helping out.

It really wouldn't be that difficult to have a good year for your jv. Most teams (smaller schools) pull anyone with any sort of talent at all to help the varsity.

Again...not saying this happened. But if it doesn't translate to varsity success then we'll know for sure.

​EC is the only team that may come within 2 td's of Kirbyville, but (as we saw last year in a lot of districts)...anything can happen no matter what is SUPPOSED  to happen. Even still, I fell very confident that the district is Kirbyville's to lose. I hope it turns out to be as exciting as last year's was though tbh.

I agree. It should be very exciting. Not many teams in this district will take a step backwards this year. Should be interesting.