Open Carry in Texas?

bullets13

Question, if I am packing (open carry) and walk in a public establishment being the only person in this establishment with a gun, someone takes my gun from my holster and shoots several people in the establishment, am I part or fully responsible?

In this day and age not much surprises me anymore, so this could happen. Plenty of sick people out there.

Tvc would probably be best at answering this one, but I will take a stab at it. I don't think you could be held any more responsible than if someone grabbed a cop's gun and shot several people. Plus, I'm not so sure that the sight of a gun would necessarily inspire someone to grab it and use it. I feel that if they want to shoot into a crowd, it would most likely be planned and they would have their gun of choice. But, like I said earlier, nothing surprises me anymore.

Question, if I am packing (open carry) and walk in a public establishment being the only person in this establishment with a gun, someone takes my gun from my holster and shoots several people in the establishment, am I part or fully responsible?

Criminally? My first thought was no but I can think of one exception. The one exception is if it is a child 16 years old or younger. There is a law in TX of Making A Firearm Accessible To A Child. That law says it is a crime if a child gains access to a firearm that is loaded and you were criminally negligent in not keeping it secured. That kind of incident would obviously be extremely unlikely but there is that law on the books. It is used but mostly in situations in the home where a child (sometimes a visiting friend) gets his hand on a loaded firearm.

Civilly? I am sure that there would be any number of attorneys that would be glad to take the case, especially if you have deep pockets like a good homeowners liability insurance policy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

They don't just make great burgers!

This is the hidden content, please

On a sidenote, I am curious if you were in favor of open carry tvc?  If you prefer not saying, I understand.  I'm just curious because the overwhelming majority of my police friends were adamantly against it.

​Mark me in the "against" category.