How Much Should A PARENT Do To Get their child A Scholarship?

They should:

• Support their child's coach
  • Take their kid to camps
  • Give him/her chores and responsibilites at home
  • Visit with all of their child's teachers and coaches at the  start of the year and throughout the year
  • Make sure that he/she completes his/her homework
  • Don't allow him/her to quit a sport once they start it
  • Set realistic academice and athletice expectations for your child
  • Combine love and discipline to influence their children

They should:

• Support their child's coach
  • Take their kid to camps
  • Give him/her chores and responsibilites at home
  • Visit with all of their child's teachers and coaches at the  start of the year and throughout the year

Great post!!! Thanks shooter!

<p>

[font='comic sans ms']They should:[/font]

• [font='comic sans ms']Support their child's coach[/font]
  • [font='comic sans ms']Take their kid to camps[/font]
  • [font='comic sans ms']Give him/her chores and responsibilites at home[/font]
  • [font='comic sans ms']Visit with all of their child's teachers and coaches at the start of the year[/font] and throughout the year

Really good post. It's refreshing to see someone (else) that believes some accountability should fall on the kid and parents.

Good post scooter. I was at home last night looking at the schools in Southland Conference at their websites creating a calendar for the different camps we will be visiting this summer. The Southland isn't the only place I'm looking, just was a starting point. He will be a freshman next year at Central but is putting in work daily now. Just want to get his feet wet and exposed. Coach Foreman has approximately 80 incoming freshmen so I don't know exactly what position he'll be at (WR, TE, DE, LB, CB, S).

But to answer your question, a parent has to put in work and be willing to sacrifice...

My wife and I put a lot of time in on our son. I sent out lots of emails and my wife took him to lots of camps. We started his sophomore year in high school. He received several football offers and several track offers. He chose to accept a full football scholarship. He took as many dual credit courses as he could in high school and will most probably finish his masters degree before his eligibility runs out. He dedicated himself to being the best student/athlete that he could be and it payed off in the long run. It is a combined effort of parents and the student/athlete. A school that has a coach dedicated to helping the students get to the next level helps tremendously if you are lucky enough to be in a school district that does have that.

My wife and I put a lot of time in on our son. I sent out lots of emails and my wife took him to lots of camps. We started his sophomore year in high school. He received several football offers and several track offers. He chose to accept a full football scholarship. He took as many dual credit courses as he could in high school and will most probably finish his masters degree before his eligibility runs out. He dedicated himself to being the best student/athlete that he could be and it payed off in the long run. It is a combined effort of parents and the student/athlete. A school that has a coach dedicated to helping the students get to the next level helps tremendously if you are lucky enough to be in a school district that does have that.

Great post. You and your wife are looking at the bigger picture. Parents have a huge part in this process. The cool part about the way y'all did it is Even if your child didn't receive a scholarship, you instilled hard work and effort into him. He knows the importance of academics and the most important thing is you spent quality time with him during a time when he is most at risk.

The most important thing is for parents to do some real research. It helps to really know what you're looking at or at least make an effort to learn it. Camps are good if you have a great athlete, camps aren't good if you have an average athlete because he will be exposed by better athletes at that camp. Know who will be there and where they have offers to if any, it wouldn't hurt to try to watch some of their film to know what he's up against instead of showing up blind. Never oversell their measurables either, that's a good way to start off on a bad note even though they won't look at them sometime if you tell the truth.

Probably the hardest thing to do for a parent is to make an honest evaluation of their own child. The parent has to know that their opinion is the one that matters the absolute least. Find a place your kid CAN play if he's good enough vs trying to find a place y'all want to play.

Coog02... "The parent has to know that their opinion is the one that matters the absolute least"....

That's probably one of the best pieces of advice anyone has put on this board in the years I've been following.  It goes for their High School career as well... along with any REAL competitive environment.  Good job 02, Good job.

My experience is that the only opinion coaches wanted from us was How was your drive? Did you sleep well? How do you like the campus? How do our dorm rooms compare to the other school you visited?

Kid has to earn the scholarship, we have to help facilitate that to the best of our ability.

Our coaches were engaged with parents about realistic recruiting expectations. What you can do and can't really do. We took the can do and did it.

Even the 5 star recruits have to have help starting the process. My point is you have to start somewhere, so start as early as possible. Get the child's name on someone's radar and then other colleges will will want to know why. It becomes a snowball effect. Believe me, each recruiter wants to get a commitment from that "diamond in the rough". Now, more than ever, college recruiters are interested in academics, a good athlete looks even better when that GPA looks good too.

Don't wait for the process to start on its own, give it a jump start and get things going before it gets too late.