Houston Cougar spring game

BlackShirts5

They will win but I dont know when. They didnt look to have very explosive receivers. They had a kid that transferred from Oregon that looked good. IDK they may surprise me. Definitely gonna try to make some home games. I need a local Team to cheer for.

Told my son keep up and he could be attending these games as a guest before long.

They will win but I dont know when. They didnt look to have very explosive receivers. They had a kid that transferred from Oregon that looked good. IDK they may surprise me. Definitely gonna try to make some home games. I need a local Team to cheer for.

Told my son keep up and he could be attending these games as a guest before long.

The rest of the conference doesn't have many explosive players either though. I certainly think he'll leave for a bigger job once he wins too, just don't be surprised if he passes in a couple that have been deemed a step up prior to him getting there. With how weak the conference is all he has to do is get a qb every few years and keep 3 or 4 top prospects a year at home. He already started by getting Tyrik Grey to stay home last year and this year he's in good position to get the #1 DT in the state, Ed Oliver. He darn near got Toby Weathersby last year too. If he can get a kid like Jalen Hurts or DSC to stay this year his program will be off and running.

IMO if he wins it might be a little harder than some think to get him away from Houston. UH is probably the 3rd largest school in the state at around 40,000, is in the hottest recruiting bed in the state, has a brand new stadium w/ NRG to play in if needed, and is a public school so if 3 million is needed to keep Herman around he can probably get it. I think UH could be a national power again if the people in power wanted it to be.

The rest of the conference doesn't have many explosive players either though. I certainly think he'll leave for a bigger job once he wins too, just don't be surprised if he passes in a couple that have been deemed a step up prior to him getting there. With how weak the conference is all he has to do is get a qb every few years and keep 3 or 4 top prospects a year at home. He already started by getting Tyrik Grey to stay home last year and this year he's in good position to get the #1 DT in the state, Ed Oliver. He darn near got Toby Weathersby last year too. If he can get a kid like Jalen Hurts or DSC to stay this year his program will be off and running.

IMO if he wins it might be a little harder than some think to get him away from Houston. UH is probably the 3rd largest school in the state at around 40,000, is in the hottest recruiting bed in the state, has a brand new stadium w/ NRG to play in if needed, and is a public school so if 3 million is needed to keep Herman around he can probably get it. I think UH could be a national power again if the people in power wanted it to be.

True about the conference and explosive players. I didn't mean to sound like I was saying they wouldn't win either. I have no doubt they will win 8-9 games. I wouldn't mind seeing them in the top 25 every  year.

All of those factors could not keep Briles and Sumlin at UH. It's still a Stepping Stones Academy. 

All of those factors could not keep Briles and Sumlin at UH. It's still a Stepping Stones Academy.

They didn't have the stadium and new facilities, they played in C-USA instead of the current conference, and neither of those guys made what Herman currently makes when they left even though they were going to give Sumlin a raise. It's certainly still a stepping stone job but it's strictly due to conference affiliation. You'll be hard pressed to find a school with the proximity to high level recruits, quality of life you can get in Houston for the price, plus the fact that there's no state tax in Texas. If UH can some way get into the Big 12 you'll see what I mean.

They didn't have the stadium and new facilities, they played in C-USA instead of the current conference, and neither of those guys made what Herman currently makes when they left even though they were going to give Sumlin a raise. It's certainly still a stepping stone job but it's strictly due to conference affiliation. You'll be hard pressed to find a school with the proximity to high level recruits, quality of life you can get in Houston for the price, plus the fact that there's no state tax in Texas. If UH can some way get into the Big 12 you'll see what I mean.

They built a new stadium and on Saturdays it's empty. That's the biggest reason a Big % conference will never come courting. When UH played in the Dome, it was empty. 

UH is a commuter school and the majority of their student population is not interested in athletics.

So they can start all the petitions and campaigns they want to get into the Big XII, but the Big XII will die on the vine before that happens.

They built a new stadium and on Saturdays it's empty. That's the biggest reason a Big % conference will never come courting. When UH played in the Dome, it was empty. 

UH is a commuter school and the majority of their student population is not interested in athletics.

So they can start all the petitions and campaigns they want to get into the Big XII, but the Big XII will die on the vine before that happens.

They actually had over 40,000 people attend when they opened the stadium. The stadium is empty for one, because they don't win that much anymore, and two, what do you expect when you have conference home games against teams like Temple, Tulane and Tulsa? None of which move the needle. Houston has over 6 million people in the metro area and the largest contingent of local alumni, if the product on the field is decent people will come. When one of your biggest games of the season is against UTSA you're probably going to have problems putting people in the stadium though. I don't think the kids commuting is an issue, Miami probably has a quarter of the enrollment of UH with a metro that's probably 5 times smaller than Houston but when they were winning they didn't have a problem putting 75k in the Orange Bowl.

With the Big 12 being left out of the playoff due to no conference championship game you can almost be assured they'll expand a couple more teams if their petition for a championship game with 10 teams is denied. They've even talked about putting North Dakota State and Boise State in the Big 12, two teams who do fill the stadium. I'm sure UH would be taken before either of those schools or any of the other Florida schools they talked about.

• 1 month later...

The rest of the conference doesn't have many explosive players either though. I certainly think he'll leave for a bigger job once he wins too, just don't be surprised if he passes in a couple that have been deemed a step up prior to him getting there.

With how weak the conference is all he has to do is get a qb every few years and keep 3 or 4 top prospects a year at home. He already started by getting Tyrik Grey to stay home last year and this year he's in good position to get

the #1 DT in the state, Ed Oliver.

He darn near got Toby Weathersby last year too. If he can get a kid like Jalen Hurts or DSC to stay this year his program will be off and running.

Well. . . I tried to call it. . . 

Not only did UH get the best defensive tackle in the state, they now have a commitment from the third best DT in the state to go with him. They're also expected to get a commitment from Hightower DE, Michael Johnson Friday. 

Shortly after the Oliver commitment UH also picked up a verbal from the Lamar road grader, Dixie Wooten, who I think is the second best guard in Houston. Don't be surprised if the best guard in town, Crosby's Keenan Murphy, also commits soon. 

UH is also in great position for Tray Williams even though I think he's going to A&M or TCU. Dillon Sterling-Cole and Tyrie Cleveland are thought to be a package deal by some and UH is in prime position for at least Cleveland who's probably the best receiver in town. Don't be surprised either if they pick up some elite local DB talent in this class. 

The kids are hash-tagging their commitments with #HTOWNTAKEOVER. They're probably just a few commits from finishing with a top 20 or maybe even top 15 class for this cycle. 

The #HTOWNTAKEOVER adds two more. UH now has commitments from two of the top three defensive tackles in the state and two of the three best offensive guards in Houston.

This is the hidden content, please

I think UH has a 50% shot at landing Tray Williams Friday night. I also think they're the leader for Manvel standout OLB Jordan Carmouche, with that could come a second 5-star commit for the Cougs in Deontay Anderson. It is also widely thought that UH is the leader for Ed Oliver's Westfield teammates, Dillon Sterling-Cole and the electric Tyrie Cleveland.

I don't know if Tom Herman can coach but if he recruits like this for a couple of years I see UH dominating the AAC like Urban Meyer did at Utah or Chris Peterson did as Boise State.

I do not want to pop your balloon, but games still have to be won on the field.

Coach Herman certainly appears to be able to recruit.

Coaches Yeoman, Pardee, and Briles all had success at UH utilizing game changing offenses and recruits the other schools did not want.

Hookem

Edited by bulldogbacker

@Perroni247: 4-star RB Trayveon Williams (@TrayveonW) announces in ~3hrs. #GoFrogs #GoCoogs #GigEm #HookEm.

Didn't know the anticipation of this was so high across the state on social media. 

• 3 weeks later...

4 more commits for UH yesterday. Not as high level as the earlier commits but good depth at a place of need. Herman now has 11 commits with only Bowman Sells(Lovejoy QB) being from outside the Houston area. Now that Williams has committed to TCU I think DSC and Tyrie Cleveland are the lynchpins that could turn the buzz around UH's program into roar.