Hitting vs Pitching?

What was Shepherd's record last year with the Kolek brothers both throwing 95+ in 3a? I believe they finished under .500 and were bounced in the first round of the playoffs. Their defense was horrible though. Any ball put in play was booted. Great pitching doesn't matter if the defense can't make plays behind you.

I would take good pitching and great defense. I can figure out a way to scratch a few runs across the plate.

If your defense is that bad, good hitting probably wouldn't matter much. I would take good pitching over hitting any day of the week. My team is built around pitching, we hit great sometimes, but when we don't we're usually in the game still because of pitching.

No matter the sport:

Offense wins games.
Defense (and pitching) win championships.

I've always had an issue with this statement. I do understand the importance of defense..I really do. But..teams that win always have the same thing in common. Even championship teams.. They always score more points than the team they beat.

I'm a big offense guy...give me good hitting.

So you're telling me a bbcor makes a good hitter not a good hitter?

i am telling you the old bats made average hitters good. therefore the hitters who you thought were good are really just aveage

bigger sweet spot and more return on the ball.

i am telling you the old bats made average hitters good. therefore the hitters who you thought were good are really just aveage

bigger sweet spot and more return on the ball.

I would disagree. It may have allowed them to hit more HR's, but aside from the occasional "dink" hit that's about it.  The ball will "jump" off of any bat with a good hitter. 

The bat has no impact on the mechanics of the swing. Most scouts will not even look at the flight of the ball. They want to see the hips, the hands, etc...

The BBCOR bat was choked down for safety reasons. Because with a good hitter, it was a lethal weapon. 

I would disagree. It may have allowed them to hit more HR's, but aside from the occasional "dink" hit that's about it. The ball will "jump" off of any bat with a good hitter.

The bat has no impact on the mechanics of the swing. Most scouts will not even look at the flight of the ball. They want to see the hips, the hands, etc...

The BBCOR bat was choked down for safety reasons. Because with a good hitter, it was a lethal weapon.

Absolutely

I've watched D1 players that can't lay down a bunt, can't go the other way, and have no clue how to hit in counts and/or situations.

Like the kid in basketball who spends all day trying to perfect his dunking skills and refuses to work on free throws, many HS hitters spend all day in BP trying to hit HR's and do not work on the "little" things.

I'm not talking about practice time. I know coaches work on situational hitting in BP. I'm talking about those 100 hacks you're putting in every day on YOUR time.

Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.

Ok. Rant over.

EXCELLENT post!!

I would disagree. It may have allowed them to hit more HR's, but aside from the occasional "dink" hit that's about it.  The ball will "jump" off of any bat with a good hitter. 

the ball will not jump off a bbcor bat like it jumps off the old bats. that is the reasoning for the rule change.  

the faster the ball jumps off the bat the less time your fields have to react which means more hits.

do a little research and you will find batting average on most have dropped since the bat change.

more coaches are forced to play some small ball instead of gorilla ball like they did with the old bats.

if it does not matter ask any player which bat he would rather hit with. i guarantee you they pick the old bats.

BBCOR doesn't make kids not be able to hit. Good hitters still hit. The only thing it has changed is the home runs you can't miss a ball and still muscle it out you have to hit it on the screws. Back on subject as much as I hate to agree with Rounder give me pitching and defense and we will always be in the game.

the ball will not jump off a bbcor bat like it jumps off the old bats. that is the reasoning for the rule change.  

the faster the ball jumps off the bat the less time your fields have to react which means more hits.

do a little research and you will find batting average on most have dropped since the bat change.

more coaches are forced to play some small ball instead of gorilla ball like they did with the old bats.

if it does not matter ask any player which bat he would rather hit with. i guarantee you they pick the old bats.

Don't need research. It's obvious we disagree. Nothing wrong with that.

I would argue that a "good" hitter will adjust no matter what. Hitters gonna hit.

Rollovers and jam jobs don't find their way through the INF near as much as they did with the old bats. That's the difference. Add those 5 to 12 weak hits throughout a season to a kid's avg and he goes from .270 to .330. The kids nowadays, they don't even remember the old bats. Their "old bats" are the big barrels or whatever they used when they were 10 and 12. Good pitching dominates good hitting in just about every instance. Give me an ace on the mound that is on top of his game and he'll dominate a good hitter.

I think the original question was about a good hitting TEAM or a good pitching TEAM.

Obviously a good pitcher would dominate because you could just walk a really good hitter. But I think this is about the whole team.

Obviously... I would rather have a star pitcher over a star hitter...

But I would rather have a great hitting team than a great pitching team. Just my opinion.

I think the original question was about a good hitting TEAM or a good pitching TEAM.

Obviously a good pitcher would dominate because you could just walk a really good hitter. But I think this is about the whole team.

Obviously... I would rather have a star pitcher over a star hitter...

But I would rather have a great hitting team than a great pitching team. Just my opinion.

Maybe the OP should've included "TEAM." Obviously, I'd rather have a roster full of really good arms than a roster full of good bats. You can manufacture a run or 2 and feel good about not giving up a run because everyone of your guys taking the mound is a stud.