Coach Tenures

Silsbee92

Saw a post today and got me to thinking.... Dangerous activity for those that know me.

I am curious to know the current tenures of our High School Baseball Coaches.

In today's volatile coaching carousel, jmo, I find it amazing if a school retains their coaches for any significant amount of time.

Please try and not repeat any prior submissions if they are accurate.

So, if I could ask for the help of one of the admins who monitor this forum to help compile the responses I would be grateful.

In closing I would like to offer Coach Griffith some recognition. I have played against your teams, watched your teams and even umpired your team games.

Much respect for your 20+ years (guessing)
at LC-M.

Most "real baseball coaches" who aren't die hard football coaches that coach baseball in the spring want to be at a school that has an AD who will support and back the baseball program.  The problem is most AD's are so worried about winning in football that all other programs fall second to baseball.  Most small schools don't let athletes practice baseball during baseball season, I know at my school last year my number two pitcher was throwing two hundred footballs during the athletic period and mind you we were in the 2nd round of the playoffs.  Schools that have AD's that actually care about baseball programs are far and few between.  There are some AD's that force their football players to run track which is right in the middle of baseball season so that takes precedence over baseball and those kids don't get to baseball until after 5:00.  As a high school baseball coach I learned very quickly that baseball coaches are very expendable and in order to stay at one place for a long time you have to be winning in football and make sure that you and your AD are on the same page.  Its sad but true

Most of the bigger schools like WOS will allow their football players to go to baseball once football is over.  The problem I described really exists at the small school level, and coming from a 6A school it was very eye opening to see.  The problem does exist at big schools as well though.  I had the opportunity to work for one of best baseball coaches in Texas high school history, he had over 500 wins.  We were at a school that was terrible at football and great in baseball.  We had a new supt.and head football coach come in and the next thing I know he was reassigned.  They said he was a detriment to the football program.  True story, made me sick.

Just guessing off top my head:

Head Coach

24-4A
Griff (LCM) 21
Chad Landry (Bridge City) 7 (Hamshire Fannett) 5
Todd Trawhan ( OF) 4 ( silsbee ) 7
Jarod Morris (HF) 2
Tim Erickson (Hardin-Jefferson) 3 (Sabine Pass) 2
Shea Landry (Wos) 3
Mike Nelson ( Silsbee) 5

22-5A
Robert Spain (Ozen)2
Cody Robbins (Nederland) 10
Kyle Green (Vidor) 17 Memorial (2)
Scott Carter (Png) 2 (28 Total)
Alex Davis (Lumberton) 1

21-6A

Jacob Walton (West Brook) 10
Adam Shibley (Sterling) 1
Clanton Vaughn (Channelview (7)
Chris Rupp (Deer Park ) 3
Rickey Torres (LaPorte) 14
Lee Martinez (GP) 11
Jesse Royas ( memorial ) 4 ( Wos) 3

23-3A

Joe Wofford (Warren) 5
Ryan Roeker (Anahuac) 1
Joe Kirby (Deweyville) 1
Jeremy Hogan (Kountze) 1
Heath Pavliska (Hardin) 12
Mark Gaus (EC) 3
Jeff Bennett ( Kirbyville) 4 (Orangefield) 5
Kevin Terrier ( Buna ) 7

Robb Kirkland (Jasper) 2 Hardin-Jefferson (3) Livingston (2)
Joe Wilroy (Woodville) 7
Jimmy Neale (Kelly) 3

Keep adding and make corrections if needed.

Head Coach

24-4A
Griff (LCM) 21
Jarod Morris (HF) 2
Shea Landry (Wos) 3
Mike Nelson ( Silsbee) 5

22-5A
Robert Spain (Ozen)2
Alex Davis (Lumberton) 1

21-6A

Chris Rupp (Deer Park ) 3 (Total 263)
Rickey Torres (LaPorte) 14 (Total 256)
Lee Martinez (GP) 11

23-3A

Joe Wofford (Warren) 5
Ryan Roeker (Anahuac) 1
Joe Kirby (Deweyville) 1
Jeremy Hogan (Kountze) 1
Mark Gaus (EC) 3
Kevin Terrier ( Buna ) 7

Joe Wilroy (Woodville) 7
Jimmy Neale (Kelly) 3

Thanks Admin. Just the help I was looking for as well as confirming my suspicion. Griff has beat the odds. Amazing.

Most "real baseball coaches" who aren't die hard football coaches that coach baseball in the spring want to be at a school that has an AD who will support and back the baseball program.  The problem is most AD's are so worried about winning in football that all other programs fall second to baseball.  Most small schools don't let athletes practice baseball during baseball season, I know at my school last year my number two pitcher was throwing two hundred footballs during the athletic period and mind you we were in the 2nd round of the playoffs.  Schools that have AD's that actually care about baseball programs are far and few between.  There are some AD's that force their football players to run track which is right in the middle of baseball season so that takes precedence over baseball and those kids don't get to baseball until after 5:00.  As a high school baseball coach I learned very quickly that baseball coaches are very expendable and in order to stay at one place for a long time you have to be winning in football and make sure that you and your AD are on the same page.  Its sad but true

Thanks Coach.  Good insight for some of us to chew on.  I would have thought it was more along the parent interference line than football. 

But, after your statement I thought back to my days and realized that a few (1-3) good football athletes quit playing football all together in order to concentrate on baseball solely.

All three went to College on scholarship in baseball.

David Denny- Barbers Hill  5 years

Baseball is the same at BH as it is for most schools in SE Texas it comes 2nd to a sub par football program.  Baseball has gone 4 deep in the play-offs 2 out of 3 years, 2 deep last year, Football has not been in 2 years and working on 3,  I think the biggest frustration is losing good baseball asst coaches.  Seems only our HC can be dedicated to baseball, all the asst coaches have to have football as their 1st sport and baseball as a 2nd sport, so we lose some really good coaches, I feel for our HC, has to be frustrating, 

• 3 weeks later...

Head Coach

24-4A
Griff (LCM) 21
Jarod Morris (HF) 2
Shea Landry (Wos) 3
Mike Nelson ( Silsbee) 5

22-5A
Robert Spain (Ozen)2
Alex Davis (Lumberton) 1

21-6A

Chris Rupp (Deer Park ) 3
Rickey Torres (LaPorte) 14
Lee Martinez (GP) 11

23-3A

Joe Wofford (Warren) 5
Ryan Roeker (Anahuac) 1
Joe Kirby (Deweyville) 1
Jeremy Hogan (Kountze) 1
Mark Gaus (EC) 3
Kevin Terrier ( Buna ) 7

Joe Wilroy (Woodville) 7
Jimmy Neale (Kelly) 3

Admin Spitting some Knowledge!!!!!  :D  AWESOME!!

Them boys need to run around the track, all they do is stand around during baseball season and yell hey batter batter.