2015 Lamar recruits

Cas

With all the talent in the Golden triangle and Lamar cannot seem to get all these boys into one room and try to get them to play for Lamar. I guess they like only putting 250 people in the stadium that is a shame when high school Friday nights can put more people in the stadium then your local college because they cannot bring the kids home.

Here is the roster from this past season:

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/lama-m-footbl-mtt.html

22 local players on this roster. 30% of the roster.

Thanks AAW, Isnt the recruiter at lamar(McGallion) brother to the coach at Silsbee? He came and talked with my son! Great guy! I believe Lamar will continue to get better.

Some people know it all! Or at least they think they do! good topic for all those interested in lamar Football

That gets brought up every year. You have to understand how many kids want to go off and experience college life...and for some with rougher background that is the best option due to removing them from negative influences. You're also not going to get the top players out of this area as they are going FBS...would be crazy to go to LU over FBS. As a season ticket holder to LU and a local HS I just want to see the best possible product on the field...and that will put more butts in the seats than having a team filled with only local prospects. How many guys from this area are going to Sam, SFA, McNeese ect. that Lamar isn't recruiting? Not many

Lamar does a decent job at recruiting around here for what they have. There are three levels of recruiting in the GT.

1. Elite-level prospects (I.E. DT, Tony Brown, Jamal Charles, etc.)
2. Mid-level D1 talent (FCS Schools)
3. Kids that just want a chance to play college ball.

Unfortunately, MOST high level recruits in this area don't want to attend Lamar, because it's "just Lamar".
Mid-level is where Lamar does most of its recruiting around this area.
Lower-level talents are usually not up to par for anew FCS schools talent level.

Recruitng in this area is not just simply getting them all in one room and convincing them. It's competing with every single other school that recruits in this area.

I've questioned the local recruitment also, but I can Honestly say I was Dead wrong. I've seen how passionate the current staff is about local kids. They would Love to offer All Local kids, but in Reality they must Win also to keep their jobs. There are only so many positions and they must recruit the best kid available. They look locally first, but if the local kid isn't the best fit, Coach has to make a decesion that affects his Team for the next 4 yrs.
Tell you what, the visit this past weekend was Great for us. The offer Lamar has put on the table for my Son is Unbelievable. He committed months ago and it's one of the best decesions he has made in his young life. We are truly Blessed to receive an offer to pay for his Education. He can now pursue his Dreams of playing College Football & most importantly earn a Degree. God Is Good.
Go Cards!!!!

Lamar's offered a decent amount of kids from Southeast Texas, but they can't depend on that alone to field a good team. Local talent is nice, but you need to get talent where you can get it. If the roster was 90% filled with SETX players but won 3 games a season, people wouldn't show up to games. North Dakota State only has 18 players from the entire state of North Dakota on their roster. People still show up to their games and they have more national titles than losses in the last 4 seasons.

And some kids want to get out of Beaumont/SETX like someone referenced earlier. Getting away from home can be good for some kids, it probably has nothing to do with the football program itself.

Point is this lamar offered but when he committed to mcneese they backed off thats not good especially when it's in your conference. He has a full ride to mcneese.

If the staff gets the read that they don't feel like they can flip the commitment then I have no issue with them moving on...they need to spend time recruiting other players they have a better shot at. If we are talking about who I think we are then I think Lamar had a lot more going against it than just not recruiting him after he committed

Lamar offer my son a they talk to him twice mcneese was at his school twice a week this is what I'm trying to say they need to do a better job at recruiting their local mid-major talent they don't.

Ever think that maybe Lamar didn't have a need at the position your son plays? Maybe McNeese had a need there.  That would explain the disparity in the times they visited.  Also, different coaches judge talent differently.  Maybe Lamar didn't find your son as talented at McNeese did.  Lots of variables. "Lamar doesn't recruit locally" isn't one of them.

Ever think that maybe Lamar didn't have a need at the position your son plays? Maybe McNeese had a need there.  That would explain the disparity in the times they visited.  Also, different coaches judge talent differently.  Maybe Lamar didn't find your son as talented at McNeese did.  Lots of variables. "Lamar doesn't recruit locally" isn't one of them.

yes you are right he isnt that good avg player thank you mcneese going to love you so cajun train.

because lamar has poor attendance and the people here think it is because there is no local players.

if lamar would do things to gain attendance this would not be an issue.

Lamar has poor attendance because Beaumont is a fair weather fan town. The product they are putting on the field is good and I enjoy watching them be competitive. They have gotten better every year and this year I believe is the year they make a playoff push and a real push for the conference title 

I thought having 30% of your roster being local is a very good number. It's all about winning. Winning will fill seats quicker than having a roster full of local players.

That's not bad! 30%  Out of that 30%, 80 % has got to be from Silsbee! Nothing like having the inside scoop! Lol

quite a few from PA