Jasper

fishcat

Will they ever be as competitive like back in 2001-2004?

I think almost every Jasper 80's team was better than the teams you mentioned. They played a very similar style to both Newton and WOS, very physical and defense first. I have a healthy respect for those two programs and our best chance for long-term success is to mirror them like we used to. 

I'm not trying to slight those early 2000's teams at all, especially the 2004 team, but those teams weren't built the same way and I don't think the style they played is sustainable. Coach Barbay seems to be working towards a more physical brand of football and he has a lot of kids coming back, so 2015 could be even better than last year. 

I think almost every Jasper 80's team was better than the teams you mentioned. They played a very similar style to both Newton and WOS, very physical and defense first. I have a healthy respect for those two programs and our best chance for long-term success is to mirror them like we used to.

I'm not trying to slight those early 2000's teams at all, especially the 2004 team, but those teams weren't built the same way and I don't think the style they played is sustainable. Coach Barbay seems to be working towards a more physical brand of football and he has a lot of kids coming back, so 2015 could be even better than last year.

2002 and 2003 team where State Semi-Finalist though. losing to Burnet both times. 2004 Had a talented team. Weatherspoon, Moye at QB, Patton, and several other stud players. They should of won state that year. Did the 1980's ever make it that far team wise?

2002 and 2003 team where State Semi-Finalist though. losing to Burnet both times. 2004 Had a talented team. Weatherspoon, Moye at QB, Patton, and several other stud players. They should of won state that year. Did the 1980's ever make it that far team wise?

Apples and oranges.  In the 80's and 90's Jasper was one of the smallest teams in the state in the old 4a and considering that I think they excelled.  From 2002-04 Jasper was one of the largest teams in 3a.  Yes, they were loaded with talent, but better than Eugene Seale, better than Reggie Davis, better than Tony Allen?  Ben Bronson?  Zack Bronson?  John Davis?  I think that if the 2002-04 teams had played defense like the Jasper teams of the 80's played they probably would have won state all three of those years especially considering that depth was in their favor in those first years down in 3a.

As a former Bulldog I can assure you there is not a Eugene Seale or Reggie Davis or Zack Bronson in the program.  They were 3 of the most incredible football players I have ever seen. 

Or a Curtis Hafford, Willie Cade, Mike McFarland, Raefel Adams among many others. Those dudes were all grown men. Those teams could play with anybody in this era. They just lost to legendary Willowridge, WOS and Hebert teams back in the day. They routinely beat good 5A teams and were always among the top 10 in a very talented 4A back in those days. Walkoviak was a lot better coach than he gets credit for and had a great staff, too. 

Apples and oranges.  In the 80's and 90's Jasper was one of the smallest teams in the state in the old 4a and considering that I think they excelled.  From 2002-04 Jasper was one of the largest teams in 3a.  Yes, they were loaded with talent, but better than Eugene Seale, better than Reggie Davis, better than Tony Allen?  Ben Bronson?  Zack Bronson?  John Davis?  I think that if the 2002-04 teams had played defense like the Jasper teams of the 80's played they probably would have won state all three of those years especially considering that depth was in their favor in those first years down in 3a.

Bronson boys were tough! 

Bronson boys were tough! 

Jasper had great coaches in those days that were there for a long time under Coach Walkoviak. Jasper was also a thriving town and had a strong administration before unfortunate events and the storm that ruined its perception. It's not the same place at all, but I hope that things within the athletic department will stabilize under Coach Barbay. He's done a fantastic job in the time he's been with the Bulldogs.