James Eagan Holmes

Mr. Buddy Garrity

WARNING - Idiot is name calling and that is clealy a rule here.  Please figure out a different way to disagree with somone BigCam.....

Now, if my 11-13 year old kid was walking around a neighborhood at 11pm at night, I would HOPE a cop finds out what they are up to. My son better not be out with friends at 11pm walking around. There is not much good stuff they could be doing that late at night. So, I would have no problem if he was stopped and questioned. As a matter of fact I would appreciate a phone call.

Around 1977-78 give or take. The point is my Mother didn't get a chance to do such things as a kid

True and that was tragic. 

This isn't the same world as it was 40 years ago. It isn't perfect by a long stretch but if you think that things are same now as back then, you are mistaken. I highly doubt that you think that. In fact it is not even close. 

I don't want to nor should I have to take the blame for what happened back then any more than you should take the blame for the homicide rate in the black communities. 

I will leave you with this, I was working a burglary one time many years ago and trying to find fingerprints of the person that broke into a black woman's home. I was working my butt off trying to get prints and she decided to tell me not to waste my time. Her statement was that she knew I didn't care about her and she then decided that she didn't even know why she bothered calling. I asked her what she was talking about. She told me that her uncle was beaten up by the police. When I asked when, she told me 1962. I had to ask further, so you think that I am not doing my job now (which she was watching me do) because of something that happened to a relative almost 30 years earlier?

Yep, that is exactly what she thought. 

So what comes first, the chicken or the egg?

WARNING - Idiot is name calling and that is clealy a rule here.  Please figure out a different way to disagree with somone BigCam.....

Now, if my 11-13 year old kid was walking around a neighborhood at 11pm at night, I would HOPE a cop finds out what they are up to. My son better not be out with friends at 11pm walking around. There is not much good stuff they could be doing that late at night. So, I would have no problem if he was stopped and questioned. As a matter of fact I would appreciate a phone call.

In about 1971 it was the summertime and my best friend and I sometimes "camped out" which was to sleep in a storage shed behind his house and watch the black and white television until it went off about Midnight while we were eating Spam sandwiches.  After that we might go fishing in the canal behind his house or ride our bicycles at night and early morning because it was cool.

One day we were doing that and riding our bicycles, our parents knew where we were and we were doing nothing wrong. That did not stop the Nederland police from not just questioning us but we were brought in to the police station. When our parents were called (woken up) and said they knew exactly what we were doing, they had to release us. The last thing we were told was that they were going to try and find what we had broken into.

I was sure praying that something hadn't been broken into that night............ 

In 1985 a buddy and I were leaving Wildwood (private resort) we had been drinking beer riding around (weekend before leaving for college) the gate guard called the police. As we left the gated area, the police were coming in, we just drove right on by like nothing happened. When they turned around and came after us, my friend didn't immediately stop. Once he did, we were told to get out of the car and put our hands on the hood. My friend had just been in a dirt bike wreak and was pretty bagged up....so he was slow to get get out....with cops yelling at him, I attempted to walk around and assist him.....only to hit in the lower back with a baton and reminded strongly not to move and keep my hands on the car where they could be seen....we spent a short time at the jail for minor in possession and questioned heavily why we didn't immediately stop....whereas, nothing else came of it, it was a good lesson about listening and doing EXACTLY what you are told to do, when dealing with the police.

With all of that said - I highly respect the the jobs of police officers, I can't even begin to imagine the courage it takes to deal with the general population, especially in this day in time....

but to fit the narrative - I guess white cops just hate everyone - even us white boys!

WARNING - Idiot is name calling and that is clealy a rule here. Please figure out a different way to disagree with somone BigCam.....

Now, if my 11-13 year old kid was walking around a neighborhood at 11pm at night, I would HOPE a cop finds out what they are up to. My son better not be out with friends at 11pm walking around. There is not much good stuff they could be doing that late at night. So, I would have no problem if he was stopped and questioned. As a matter of fact I would appreciate a phone call.

I'll call it what it is Hippy, do what you must.
You're All about Law, what Law were we Breaking? We were just hanging out, no crime committed. Doesn't matter the age or time, but because you don't agree that we should be out, does that make us criminals. This is the insinuations that perpetuate the Injustices I speak of. I have no problem with the cops stopping us, but the Bull@&$& reason& treatment is where I draw the line. I don't allow my Sons to walk the neighborhood at that time of night, especially in these times & near people with your perception.
So, I ask again, what Law were we breaking merely a few blocks from our Homes in a neighborhood everyone knew us?? TVC you care to enlighten either Hippy or me??

I am sure we all can tell a situation when we were encountered by the police.I know I have, but not all cops are bad just like not all cops are good, let's not kid our selves.I don't know what can be done other than better screening from top to bottom.I don't blame individuals based on someone's else prejudice,you meet different people with different personalitys of different races daily .I am saying this to say, unless you can walk in someone else's shoes, you really do not know what unjust they have faced and what effect it will have on them.

In 1985 a buddy and I were leaving Wildwood (private resort) we had been drinking beer riding around (weekend before leaving for college) the gate guard called the police. As we left the gated area, the police were coming in, we just drove right on by like nothing happened. When they turned around and came after us, my friend didn't immediately stop. Once he did, we were told to get out of the car and put our hands on the hood. My friend had just been in a dirt bike wreak and was pretty bagged up....so he was slow to get get out....with cops yelling at him, I attempted to walk around and assist him.....only to hit in the lower back with a baton and reminded strongly not to move and keep my hands on the car where they could be seen....we spent a short time at the jail for minor in possession and questioned heavily why we didn't immediately stop....whereas, nothing else came of it, it was a good lesson about listening and doing EXACTLY what you are told to do, when dealing with the police.

With all of that said - I highly respect the the jobs of police officers, I can't even begin to imagine the courage it takes to deal with the general population, especially in this day in time....

but to fit the narrative - I guess white cops just hate everyone - even us white boys!

Never mentioned the Race of Cops or insinuated the cops hated anyone. Just stated facts & you could draw your own conclusion. I respect Authority, although I don't always agree. You're absolutely correct, Officers should be commended for their efforts. I'm merely exchanging stories & experiences to be enlightened & enlighten others. There's a heightened threat to Officers lives around the Country, we can't kid ourselves to think it can't happen here. I feel these discussions are needed. We can agree to disagree, but hopefully the discussions helps someone.

I understand, and you have made some very valid points. But these discussions are taking place due to "the narrative" of Black Lives matter and hands up don't shoot........whereas everyone's story I'm sure hits home and/or has had an impact on their lives - The approach taken by some (including the media) are nothing but harmful to the relations in which they claim to be attempting to fix.

It is my opinion, that these "discussion", are more needed among the leaders/spokesmen be it POTUS, Civil Rights, Churches, Parents, etc. When this type of situation happens (and it will again) these people should CONDEMN the negative press and/or riots, etc. and that's it...no more free press time and/or attention.

I've often heard the saying (in problem solving) "Treat the disease not the symptom". We as humans seem to focus more on the feel good now parts of problem solving, and things that appear to give immediate results......sometimes the results of real solutions can't be seen until months or even years after the treatment starts....I could go on and on with cliche' such as " One has to want to be helped, before anyone can help them" ... and that one may be the truest of all!

I'll call it what it is Hippy, do what you must.
You're All about Law, what Law were we Breaking? We were just hanging out, no crime committed. Doesn't matter the age or time, but because you don't agree that we should be out, does that make us criminals. This is the insinuations that perpetuate the Injustices I speak of. I have no problem with the cops stopping us, but the Bull@&$& reason& treatment is where I draw the line. I don't allow my Sons to walk the neighborhood at that time of night, especially in these times & near people with your perception.
So, I ask again, what Law were we breaking merely a few blocks from our Homes in a neighborhood everyone knew us?? TVC you care to enlighten either Hippy or me??

I'm not really sure how the police were supposed to determine that you were in your own neighborhood, where everyone knew who you were, and not committing a crime, without stopping and talking to you. I don't question you on the treatment you received, I obviously wasn't there, so i'll take your word for it. of course, you're using something that happened to you thirty or more years ago as justification for people running from the police or not trusting them today. That doesn't make much sense to me. Neither does the belief that police officers should not stop and talk to a group of juveniles in a crime filled area if they're out roaming the streets in the middle of the night to make sure they aren't up to something they shouldn't be. I had an officer pull into my driveway WAAAAAAY out in the country when I was in high school and talk to me and a friend because we were wandering around the yard in the middle of the night. It didn't matter that I was white, or that I was on (MY) private property. The officer saw a couple of kids that MAY have been up to no good and took it upon himself to make sure we weren't doing something we shouldn't have been. As it was, I wasn't doing anything wrong, but I was also respectful. Had I run away, anything might have happened.

Very Valid points Craig, unfortunately the Media is on a Feast or Famine approach to journalism at times. I agree more should get involved, All Lives Matter according to Christ, not just Black. I totally understand the Hands Up Don't Shoot Movement, but it doesn't apply in every Scenario. As you said we can go on & on, the bottom line is, at any given moment any of us can be asked to Stop/pullover etc. We don't know if the Officer will be just, but many instances have shown the result of being Combative. It's your Life, & your decisions. I know I want the process to go as smooth as humanly possible in any event.
JMO

I'm not really sure how the police were supposed to determine that you were in your own neighborhood, where everyone knew who you were, and not committing a crime, without stopping and talking to you. I don't question you on the treatment you received, I obviously wasn't there, so i'll take your word for it. of course, you're using something that happened to you thirty or more years ago as justification for people running from the police or not trusting them today. That doesn't make much sense to me. Neither does the belief that police officers should not stop and talk to a group of juveniles in a crime filled area if they're out roaming the streets in the middle of the night to make sure they aren't up to something they shouldn't be. I had an officer pull into my driveway WAAAAAAY out in the country when I was in high school and talk to me and a friend because we were wandering around the yard in the middle of the night. It didn't matter that I was white, or that I was on (MY) private property. The officer saw a couple of kids that MAY have been up to no good and took it upon himself to make sure we weren't doing something we shouldn't have been. As it was, I wasn't doing anything wrong, but I was also respectful. Had I run away, anything might have happened.

Reading is Fundamental. Where did I say I wanted justification for people to run from the Cops? Doesn't matter if what happened to me & friends 100 yrs ago, it wasn't right. I never said I was offended as an Adult by why we were stopped. You are the Guy I speak of who just doesn't get it. Your comprehension is limited at Best. Read my statements again & maybe we can have a Discussion. We don't have to agree, but we must be able to read & comprehend. Geez!

Very Valid points Craig, unfortunately the Media is on a Feast or Famine approach to journalism at times. I agree more should get involved, All Lives Matter according to Christ, not just Black. I totally understand the Hands Up Don't Shoot Movement, but it doesn't apply in every Scenario. As you said we can go on & on, the bottom line is, at any given moment any of us can be asked to Stop/pullover etc. We don't know if the Officer will be just, but many instances have shown the result of being Combative. It's your Life, & your decisions. I know I want the process to go as smooth as humanly possible in any event.
JMO

ok...now lets take this approach to our conversation.

I know stereo typing is not a good thing, even though they exist at least in part due to statistics. So, if the majority of the time you went into a certain area, you were robbed, or beat up, or even just harassed, would you find yourself looking at everyone in that area as a potential attacker....or would you give each individual the benefit of the doubt?

ok...now lets take this approach to our conversation.

I know stereo typing is not a good thing, even though they exist at least in part due to statistics. So, if the majority of the time you went into a certain area, you were robbed, or beat up, or even just harassed, would you find yourself looking at everyone in that area as a potential attacker....or would you give each individual the benefit of the doubt?

First of All this is a question for an Ignorant person. Why the Hell would I frequent an area knowing the possible outcome? You seem like a smart man Craig, please don't Patronize me. You do know the definition of insanity?
I'm a very Educated man; books & street. I thought you saw something a little different in me Craig; & I in you.

First of All this is a question for an Ignorant person. Why the Hell would I frequent an area knowing the possible outcome? You seem like a smart man Craig, please don't Patronize me. You do know the definition of insanity?
I'm a very Educated man; books & street. I thought you saw something a little different in me Craig; & I in you.

In the literal sense you are correct. Now, lets change your situation....it's the neighborhood you live in, or work in, and you don't have the option of not going there due to known dangers.

How would you look at every individual you see, cross paths with, etc?

answer it or not....that is what the police deal with in certain areas everyday. You, me or anyone else can't blame them, criticize them, hate them etc.....point is, it's easier to sit in our comfortable lives and decide to avoid these situations. The cops that work in in every single day, MUST look at each individual as a potential death threat.....add an area of know crime and that multiplies. 

I'm not saying even a single mishandled situation should go punished, I'm just saying cops are people too, regardless of the training they are given. Just like you and I, there are days, times I hate my job, get frustrated, etc....the difference is, a bad day for those guys, could mean DEAD!

It just seems more times than not the cop is automatically given the bad rap, only to find out in most cases there's more to it than first reported....I guess I'd rather have to change the story to ...oh, my bad...the cop was a bad apple....rather than, oh, my bad....the guy charged him, or shot at him, then the cop defended himself....in most cases....it's ALL about first impressions....and that is usually decided by what id reported by news channels or said by community leaders.......

I can't say what the Officer could have done differently in the Heat of the moment, because I'm not a qualified Police Trainer. Obviously being a "Monday morning QB" that's up for debate I guess. As for me & my Family, comply with Authority figures regardless of where you are; School, Public & Home(especially at home or imma beat that @$&$) Can't speak for everyone.
You posed the question, give us your spill.
I will say this though, I'll be Damned if I wait for a March before I step in & correct my Children.
The Shirts should say: OBEY TODAY & LIVE TO MARCH TOMORROW. If I were an opportunist. Someone can use this, I have plenty more

The bottom lime is you tried to get me mixed up in a he said she said play on words type question.
You played yourself, I'm gonna stand for the Right things regardless. I'm only one person, that's All I can do. I Strive to do the Right when no one is watching; there's a difference.

But fear creates a perception and perception is reality. All I'm saying is, if for any reason a persons perception is that of fear of any person, place, or thing....what you believe or say about how you would act in any given situation changes....and while sitting in the comfort of our lives, we should not judge....and IMO if a judgement will be made by others....it should start in the favor of the policemen because of these reasons.

I can't say what the Officer could have done differently in the Heat of the moment, because I'm not a qualified Police Trainer. Obviously being a "Monday morning QB" that's up for debate I guess. As for me & my Family, comply with Authority figures regardless of where you are; School, Public & Home(especially at home or imma beat that @$&$) Can't speak for everyone.
You posed the question, give us your spill.
I will say this though, I'll be Damned if I wait for a March before I step in & correct my Children.
The Shirts should say: OBEY TODAY & LIVE TO MARCH TOMORROW. If I were an opportunist. Someone can use this, I have plenty more

Great post

But fear creates a perception and perception is reality. All I'm saying is, if for any reason a persons perception is that of fear of any person, place, or thing....what you believe or say about how you would act in any given situation changes....and while sitting in the comfort of our lives, we should not judge....and IMO if a judgement will be made by others....it should start in the favor of the policemen because of these reasons.

Only God grants true favor. Just do your job lawfully(officer) & obey (citizens) prayerfully Justice will Prevail. Man's favor is why we're having this discussion in the first place. Good chatting with you Craig