James Eagan Holmes

Mr. Buddy Garrity

nope, what does a gagsta or thug look like.

I find it humerous that some on this board automatically associate a thug with a black person.  I can remember my grandmother calling the kids down her street thugs and they were white. I don't play the politics, and I know that is what Biggirl was getting at by asking what a thug looks like.

However, black or white, you are FIRST judged by your appearance.

I find it humerous that some on this board automatically associate a thug with a black person.  I can remember my grandmother calling the kids down her street thugs and they were white. I don't play the politics, and I know that is what Biggirl was getting at by asking what a thug looks like.

However, black or white, you are FIRST judged by your appearance.

Big girl won't understand that. She is programmed not to.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Trials like this i wish they had the firing squad or electric chair for guys like him. 

I would think the electric chair would be more painful.....

...the prisoner's eyeballs sometimes pop out and rest on [his] cheeks. The prisoner often defecates, urinates, and vomits blood and drool. The body turns bright red as its temperature rises, and the prisoner's flesh swells and his skin stretches to the point of breaking. Sometimes the prisoner catches fire....Witnesses hear a loud and sustained sound like bacon frying, and the sickly sweet smell of burning flesh permeates the chamber. (Ecenbarger, 1994)

At postmortem, the body is hot enough to blister if touched, and the autopsy is delayed while the internal organs cool. There are third degree burns with blackening where the electrodes met the skin of the scalp and legs. According to Robert H. Kirschner, the deputy chief medical examiner of Cook County, "The brain appears cooked in most cases." (Weisberg, 1991)

I do not post much on this board anymore for various reasons. However, these issues of race within the criminal justice system are not new and they are not fixed.

Some of you know that capital punishment is an issue where I am very passionate. One of the reasons is because it is an area where the stats don't lie. And in the most serious way we dispense "Justice" in this country, racism is extremely evident. For instance, an African American man is about 3 times more likely to receive a death sentence in this country than a white man. in addition, statistics show that prosecutors are much more likely to seek the death penalty when the victim was white than when the victim was black. You can make any excuse you want for these but numbers don't lie.

BUT let me say this (as a white man who sees the "system" at work daily). There is much that can be done that is much more productive than rioting. And these numbers don't lie either.

If you don't like the current system, REGISTER TO VOTE. And, this shouldn't need to be said except that apparently it does, VOTE!!! Other than in the two Obama election years, African American voters comprise a lesser percentage of actual voter demographics than their percentage of the population. White voters always exceed their percentage of the country's demographics. You must realize that all elections matter and educate yourself on who deserves your vote and why. It's not just important when someone of your race is running for the country's highest office.

Finally, and to me just as important, when you register to vote, you will then eventually get a jury summons. SHOW UP TO JURY DUTY and show up READY TO SERVE. I can attest that at least in this region, the demographics of African Americans in our jury pools is FAR LESS than their percentage of the demographics in our populace. Rather than complain about the system, DO YOUR PART TO FIX IT! Serving on a jury is one of the most fundamental and direct impacts you can have on our justice system. But this requires (1) showing up for jury duty and (2) being ready to serve on a jury and not just trying to find a way to get out of it.

Sorry for the rant but if you want to complain about the system, there ARE productive ways you can go about making a true change. And those are a couple of great places to start.

Carry on...

I do not post much on this board anymore for various reasons. However, these issues of race within the criminal justice system are not new and they are not fixed.

Some of you know that capital punishment is an issue where I am very passionate. One of the reasons is because it is an area where the stats don't lie. And in the most serious way we dispense "Justice" in this country, racism is extremely evident. For instance, an African American man is about 3 times more likely to receive a death sentence in this country than a white man. in addition, statistics show that prosecutors are much more likely to seek the death penalty when the victim was white than when the victim was black. You can make any excuse you want for these but numbers don't lie.

BUT let me say this (as a white man who sees the "system" at work daily). There is much that can be done that is much more productive than rioting. And these numbers don't lie either.

If you don't like the current system, REGISTER TO VOTE. And, this shouldn't need to be said except that apparently it does, VOTE!!! Other than in the two Obama election years, African American voters comprise a lesser percentage of actual voter demographics than their percentage of the population. White voters always exceed their percentage of the country's demographics. You must realize that all elections matter and educate yourself on who deserves your vote and why. It's not just important when someone of your race is running for the country's highest office.

Finally, and to me just as important, when you register to vote, you will then eventually get a jury summons. SHOW UP TO JURY DUTY and show up READY TO SERVE. I can attest that at least in this region, the demographics of African Americans in our jury pools is FAR LESS than their percentage of the demographics in our populace. Rather than complain about the system, DO YOUR PART TO FIX IT! Serving on a jury is one of the most fundamental and direct impacts you can have on our justice system. But this requires (1) showing up for jury duty and (2) being ready to serve on a jury and not just trying to find a way to get out of it.

Sorry for the rant but if you want to complain about the system, there ARE productive ways you can go about making a true change. And those are a couple of great places to start.

Carry on...

post your links to your facts.....

Because currently more whites are on death row than blacks ( http://deathpenalty.org/article.php?id=86 ) .....but there are more blacks in prison than whites (  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarceration_in_the_United_States#Race )

post your links to your facts.....

Because currently more whites are on death row than blacks ( http://deathpenalty.org/article.php?id=86 ) .....but there are more blacks in prison than whites ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarceration_in_the_United_States#Race )

I wonder if that's because more whites are charged with murder than blacks by a long shot. Yet the death populations are remarkably close. Those facts were based upon studies at Yale and the University of Maryland as I recall...

The last stats I saw on the issue showed that blacks were underrepresented on death row.

Look at the known offenders by race and blacks committed slighly more than half of all murders yet are less than half of death row inmates. Even given for slight fluctuations from year to year (slightly over or under 50%) the results are roughly that blacks are on death row at similar rates to the known homicides based on race. I am not sure where a statement of three times more likely to get the death sentence comes from. If blacks commit about half of all murders and are 3 times as likely to be on death row, are they 150% of death row?

I read an article on this topic a few years ago. From the stats I read back then, a black was more likley to have the death penalty sought if the victim was white. That doesn't change the numbers as far as death row inmates but it is not (theoretical) justice for black victims. In other words, one race commits about half the murders and occupies about half of death row. That half is mainly for white victims however. The injustice is not how many blacks are on death row but how many black victims of murder will not have the ultimate sentence carried out on their behalf.

Maybe that is where the 3 times more likely comes from. The death sentence might be 3 times more likely sought if the victim is white. Of course then you have to toss in the stats that whites are way more likely to be the victim of a murder by blacks that the opposite of blacks being the victim of murder by whites.