18 members have voted

1. 1. Who and when?

• Lumberton in Regulation
    • Nederland in Regulation
    • Lumberton in Overtime
    • Nederland in Overtime

Lumberton takes major 20-4A step with win at NHS

The Port Arthur News

NEDERLAND -- Lumberton made a believer out of Nederland coach Rob Bledsoe on Monday night, taking a major step toward the 20-4A boys district soccer title with a 4-2 win over Nederland at Bulldog Stadium.

District 20-4A scoring leader Brent Waldrup collected one goal and two assists while teammate Jeremy Garza added two goals and an assist. The Raiders of coach Chad Luttrull improved to 6-1 and 4-0.

Nederland received two goals from a pair of freshmen, Austin Wyble and Taylor Trahan. The Bulldogs, playing as many as six freshmen, dropped to 3-5 and 3-1.

The Bulldogs' fifth-year head coach Bledsoe watched his team compete hard and trail only 1-0 at halftime. Nederland's coach complimented Lumberton's team afterwards.

"They have a good team," Bledsoe said. "I was impressed with their team. They hustle to the ball.

"We were really fortunate to trail 1-0 at halftime. They dominated us. They were faster than us. They beat us to the ball. They were better than us tonight without a doubt."

A great amount of difficulty existed for the Dogs in their efforts to maintain possession. The inability to do that led to Lumberton's lone first-half goal. Garza scored after Nederland turned it over at midfield. A one-on-one shot against NHS goalkeeper Kent Maxwell allowed the Raiders to take the early lead after Nederland's defense misplayed a header.

Lumberton doubled its lead to 2-0 about 12 minutes into the second half. Two minutes later, Austin Wyble scored off a Taylor Rush pass, cutting the deficit to 2-1. The Raiders padded their advantage to 4-1, before Trahan followed up a deflection off Lumberton's goalkeeper. The deflection resulted after Rico Keeling's one-on-one bid.

Nederland will return to action on Friday night in Beaumont's Zaharias Stadium against Central at 7 p.m. Lumberton will entertain Ozen on Friday at 7 p.m.

Don't all the teams play each other twice in district? Isn't a little early to talk about a district championship? But I do agree Lumberton is the team to beat, I see thing this way for the top 3....

1. Lumberton

2. PN-G

3. Vidor or Nederland

i agree still 14 games left in the district season, that's alot of soccer still left to be played.  Many teams are still adjusting their positions and dealing with injuries. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder