Ozen's 2014 Difficulties are for a reason, but should be fine!

JRidge

BISD doesn't have any money. How can they allow him to hire coaches when they are trying their best not to close many programs. Right now they better be happy they still have an athletics department.

True,  I don't see any more coaches getting hired over there for the next two years for any of the BISD schools until the BOM turns the keys back over to a regular school board.  (hopefully not the same school board).

True,  I don't see any more coaches getting hired over there for the next two years for any of the BISD schools until the BOM turns the keys back over to a regular school board.  (hopefully not the same school board).

ummm.  I don't think there is a problem with hiring coaches.  I think someone says that Central has 16 or so correct?  How does that happen?  It is clearly not a fair playing field.  Same district, same classification, same number of coaches right?  If it is not the same then why shouldn't it be the same.  Does Ozen have a shortage of teachers?  I am sure they do like everyone else.   Please don't give me the excuse that they were already hired.  Who approves coaches to coach? 

Not really sure about things going on over at central coaching wise. I did notice they had twice the amount Ozen did when we played them a few weeks ago for the soul bowl. I do video work for Rivals and was on the sideline so I saw that first hand. Been doing that for the past 8 or so years. We also lost a Trainer at the high school level so the district has hired some EMT's to cover the holes that can't be done by Coach D from Ozen and the middle school Trainer. Being a full-time Paramedic I have been working those as needed along with helping out Coach D at Ozen games. That being said I have seen first hand what the Ozen staff is doing with our kids and have been very impressed by them. My son who is a freshman tells me daily that the guys have lots of trust issues with what has happened since they have been in school. Quite a few of them also don't trust some of their teammates which is also causing issues.. Hopefully as Coach Suggs moves forward this stuff will change. From talking with him multiple times since this summer and also being around him I get the impression he can and will. He is also a man of character which our kids need as an example. 

ummm.  I don't think there is a problem with hiring coaches.  I think someone says that Central has 16 or so correct?  How does that happen?  It is clearly not a fair playing field.  Same district, same classification, same number of coaches right?  If it is not the same then why shouldn't it be the same.  Does Ozen have a shortage of teachers?  I am sure they do like everyone else.   Please don't give me the excuse that they were already hired.  Who approves coaches to coach?

I was trying to stay out of this thread. I agree with most people's statements in here except for part of yours. Just because the 2 schools are in the same district and same classification, NO they should not have the same amount of coaches. I think that should be based upon school enrollment numbers. With West Brook having 2433, Central having 1778 and Ozen at 1169. West Brook should have the most coaches followed by Central than Ozen. There should be some type of ratio...

Not an excuse, but it is a fact that the coaches were hired before the BOM took over the district.

I was trying to stay out of this thread. I agree with most people's statements in here except for part of yours. Just because the 2 schools are in the same district and same classification, NO they should not have the same amount of coaches. I think that should be based upon school enrollment numbers. With West Brook having 2433, Central having 1778 and Ozen at 1169. West Brook should have the most coaches followed by Central than Ozen. There should be some type of ratio...

That wouldn't be a good comparison, maybe average football participation numbers vs total school enrollment?

That wouldn't be a good comparison, maybe average football participation numbers vs total school enrollment?

In reality that's no good either, you have the same number of positions that need to be coached at the 4a level, so coaching numbers should be the same. They are essentially coaching 22 players on the field broken into positions and some alottment for special teams. I Dont think schools hire extra coaches for the number of backups on each team

It is a conundrum for sure. Hopefully the BOM can help out with the enrollment issues. The biggest problem the 3 high schools deal with is the perception of the campuses. Right or wrong both Central and Ozen have a bad rep and WB doesn't. Those of us who are close to what's going on can say differently. It's ine of the main reasons my son is at Ozen. He is slotted for WB but he did not want to deal with all the crap he had to at Marshall in high school. So if you happen to see 5' 11" Red Head on the sidelines this year working with Coach D and playing baseball this year and Football next year that's my oldest. Would not have him anywhere else. We as parents need to step up and fill the gaps to make the school our kids attend the best. We all can make a difference.

In reality that's no good either, you have the same number of positions that need to be coached at the 4a level, so coaching numbers should be the same. They are essentially coaching 22 players on the field broken into positions and some alottment for special teams. I Dont think schools hire extra coaches for the number of backups on each team

But you have to be realistic. WB and Central had way more kids come out for football than Ozen...

It is a conundrum for sure. Hopefully the BOM can help out with the enrollment issues. The biggest problem the 3 high schools deal with is the perception of the campuses. Right or wrong both Central and Ozen have a bad rep and WB doesn't. Those of us who are close to what's going on can say differently. It's ine of the main reasons my son is at Ozen. He is slotted for WB but he did not want to deal with all the crap he had to at Marshall in high school. So if you happen to see 5' 11" Red Head on the sidelines this year working with Coach D and playing baseball this year and Football next year that's my oldest. Would not have him anywhere else. We as parents need to step up and fill the gaps to make the school our kids attend the best. We all can make a difference.

Good post, especially the last 2 sentences.

Both WB and Central are getting kids that should by area go to Ozen. Until they stop letting them go across town for high school it will continue. Again "WE" the parents need to step up and help fix this issue. I guarantee you if the rosters for each school were pulled and addresses were looked at the majority of kids slotted for Ozen will be at either WB or Central. Until the perception of Ozen changes this will continue. My wife has worked at Ozen for the past 5 years I have seen where it has come from in that time frame. It has gotten a lot better. Parent involvement is the key. We have to not only hold our kids to a higher standard but also those who teach/coach them. Hopefully the BOM can help get our district sorted out. Most of you probably don't know but that student led movement that really put the pressure on the school board this summer was lead by students from Ozen. My wife's students in fact. We need to follow the example they set and help fix the issues. WE have an uphill battle going forward and I hope our coaching staff gets the support they need. 

In reality that's no good either, you have the same number of positions that need to be coached at the 4a level, so coaching numbers should be the same. They are essentially coaching 22 players on the field broken into positions and some alottment for special teams. I Dont think schools hire Eextra coaches for the number of backups on each team

There It Is! Preach!

It's our Seniors last home game tonight. I just want to thank these young men for their commitment. This is bittersweet for me because I've Coached a few of these guys since the age of 10. Many are like my own sons. To my Son Mr Randle, thank you for the many memories you've given us as parents. We are proud of your football accomplishments, but we are more proud of the Honor Grad distinction. You gave it your All and that's all we can ask of you.
Proud Panther Dad