Scholarship Question

Eagle11

Question to discuss........

Can a student athlete profit financially off of a scholarship?

The Recruit: Highly recruited football player with excellent grades. Offered a football scholarship at a $$$$ private school. Was also awarded a full ride scholastic scholarship to the same school. I am told, certainly not privy to details, the kid attends on his football ride and will leave school with $$$$ in bank from his scholastic ride.

Can this happen is my first question. If so, can it be done at any school or just private schools? If that is the case then doesn't that create a severely unlevel playing field for state schools?

I do not know that whatnamecanipick........but I have been told by more than one person (2 teachers and a coach) that this happens. I am not trying to get anyone or any school in trouble, I had never heard of this and found it interesting.

He is a very smart kid (all high level classes at his parents demand). He was never allowed to take the easy road in school.

The question was about Two scholarships.

I would only ask why would a school offer a football scholarship if others were available. 

Happens all the time. Maybe not as much in football and basketball since they are usually 100% scholarships. Lots of other athletes depend on academic scholarships to offset the limited amount of athletic scholarships.

Those guys can still put some money in their pockets.

Happens all the time. Maybe not as much in football and basketball since they are usually 100% scholarships. Lots of other athletes depend on academic scholarships to offset the limited amount of athletic scholarships.
Those guys can still put some money in their pockets.

Baseball does this a lot with their limited athletic scholarships. 11.7 scholarships for 25+ players means academic is the way to go.

Baseball does this a lot with their limited athletic scholarships. 11.7 scholarships for 25+ players means academic is the way to go.

Tell me about it. His freshman year at UH my son had tuition, books and partial room and board. Academic scholarships paid the rest. His soph. year we had to pay for his apartment, everything else was paid by baseball/academics.

When he transferred to Emporia, he has his tuition paid for by Baseball. We pay for books and lodging (lodging is MUCH cheaper in Emporia, KS).

For the most part, he has received a "free" education. Can't beat that.