Is affirmative action racist?

I know I'd be mad if my son had better grades, SAT and extracurriculars and got denied at his dream school while a B average student got in for the sake of "diversity"
Let's hear your thoughts

I know I'd be mad if my son had better grades, SAT and extracurriculars and got denied at his dream school while a B average student got in because_________.

I know I'd be mad if my son had better grades, SAT and extracurriculars and got denied at his dream school while a B average student got in because_________.

of Race/sex?  I don't think that is a secret.....

affirmative action noun

: the practice of improving the educational and job opportunities of members of groups that have not been treated fairly in the past because of their race, sex, etc.

My dad was allowed to test for a job in the 1960s. He made the highest grade on the test and got a really good paying job. He would not have gotten that opportunity otherwise.

What if the company just looked at test scores? He would have still got the job.... That was 54 years ago....

Asians are now the minority. Should blacks be taken out?

The problem isn't the folks who score really well and would get the job or get into a college regardless. The problem is those that may just pass the test but "jump the line" ahead of others who scored higher and get the job or gain entrance to school just because they are black, brown, yellow, green etc.......

what about white people who get jobs that they are unqualified for just becsuse they are white? I worked at a place where every black nurse had a bachelor's degree and our supervisor who was not that bright only had an associates. She didnt know anything ; hence, no one respected her.

what about white people who get jobs that they are unqualified for just becsuse they are white? I worked at a place where every black nurse had a bachelor's degree and our supervisor who was not that bright only had an associates. She didnt know anything ; hence, no one respected her.

Had she been there longer?
Was she the bosses daughter?
Was she sleeping with the boss?
Is the only reason she was in charge because she is white? I had a black lady who was our boss even though I have a master's degree and she only had a bachelor's degree. I worked for the place longer than her, and have more overall experience. She didn't know anything, hence nobody respected her. She lasted one year and was moved to a different department. Probably because the black lady that hired her was racist against her.

I am assuming that the one with the associate degree likely had considerably more experience than any of those with the bachelors degree or she likely wouldn't have the position.  People skills and managerial skills are more a product of experience than college degrees.  Did the lack of respect have anything to do with race?

I know a guy that got a job that he was unqualified for and he is only half white. Racism at its finest. I know lots of people around here that have "only" associate degrees. Pretty damn successful. And they never worked at what apparently seems to be a company that hires all of the overqualified and unnecessarily Bachelor degree obtaining black nurses. I will rely on your understanding of someone not being respected by anyone. One of your degrees must be in that field.

At one time it was needed to ensure people like big girl's dad a shot at getting hired when they DESERVED to get hired. Now it seems that more often than not it is used to get chances that are given at the expense of better candidates. If your scores are good enough, you'll get the scholarship or the job if you deserve it, regardless of race now. And in situations where someone is passed over unfairly, our legal system can now be trusted to make things right. To me, affirmative action is an outdated law that now discriminates against deserving applicants, which counters the reasons it was established in the first place.

I am assuming that the one with the associate degree likely had considerably more experience than any of those with the bachelors degree or she likely wouldn't have the position.  People skills and managerial skills are more a product of experience than college degrees.  Did the lack of respect have anything to do with race?

At one time it was needed to ensure people like big girl's dad a shot at getting hired when they DESERVED to get hired. Now it seems that more often than not it is used to get chances that are given at the expense of better candidates. If your scores are good enough, you'll get the scholarship or the job if you deserve it, regardless of race now. And in situations where someone is passed over unfairly, our legal system can now be trusted to make things right. To me, affirmative action is an outdated law that now discriminates against deserving applicants, which counters the reasons it was established in the first place.

I disagree. I know better because I am black. My experiences are different from a white persons' experience. We still don't have an even playing field.

Why do you assume that? Is it because you think that every white person who is in a position of authority deserves to be there? There in lies the problem :o