21-3A All-District Team

No doubt BC and Silsbee should dominate the list but I question the legitimacy of other picks. This response has no bearing on my own kids that play. This should be based on performance and nothing else! When a coach starts factoring in other components other than a kids potential, he is doing a disservice and injustice to the kids who truly deserve the recognition.  JMO but this list each year looses its credibility.

No doubt BC and Silsbee should dominate the list but I question the legitimacy of other picks. This response has no bearing on my own kids that play. This should be based on performance and nothing else! When a coach starts factoring in other components other than a kids potential, he is doing a disservice and injustice to the kids who truly deserve the recognition.  JMO but this list each year looses its credibility.

Absolutely agree! No dog in the hunt here either. I feel sorry for the players who legitimately deserve the All-District awards, but the honor of being put on these teams was watered down by some of these picks.   These selections bring into question; Is it about your Fielding%, BA, OPS, ...etc. or something else?   It was the same way with the football All-District selections.  

Now I have a question and I'm just trying to figure out the selection process....Why do you have 3 1st Team pitchers and only 2 2nd Team?  Also why 5 1st Team OF and only 3 2nd Team OF?  This is a legitimate question, not trying to be a smart a**.  Does it go by BA then Fielding% for Positional Players, maybe with slugging%, OPS and OB% in the mix to break any ties?  Just curious.  

Also congrats to the teams from 21-3A who made the playoffs and to Silsbee who went up against a really tough College Station team!  Also, it was refreshing to see HF's Coach Morris bring some passion back to that program.

Absolutely agree! No dog in the hunt here either. I feel sorry for the players who legitimately deserve the All-District awards, but the honor of being put on these teams was watered down by some of these picks.   These selections bring into question; Is it about your Fielding%, BA, OPS, ...etc. or something else?   It was the same way with the football All-District selections.  

Now I have a question and I'm just trying to figure out the selection process....Why do you have 3 1st Team pitchers and only 2 2nd Team?  Also why 5 1st Team OF and only 3 2nd Team OF?  This is a legitimate question, not trying to be a smart a**.  Does it go by BA then Fielding% for Positional Players, maybe with slugging%, OPS and OB% in the mix to break any ties?  Just curious.  

Also congrats to the teams from 21-3A who made the playoffs and to Silsbee who went up against a really tough College Station team!  Also, it was refreshing to see HF's Coach Morris bring some passion back to that program.

Up front legitimate question right here. How does "the pick" water down the team? I believe too many picks water down a team but not a "pick" itself. The 21-3A team is WAY LESS WATERED DOWN THAN 20-4A, just look at the total number of players and compare. Just trying to understand
your point.

Also another thing to think about is how the "Superlatives" or "MVP's" change the outcome of
the team. Just for example, if you had a catcher as overall MVP, another catcher as Offensive
MVP, then your 1st team catcher would essentially be the 3rd best catcher in the district. This
example sometimes explains how the final team looks. Just a thought to consider, not saying
it's right or wrong.

Rake1

Up front legitimate question right here. How does "the pick" water down the team? I believe too many picks water down a team but not a "pick" itself. The 21-3A team is WAY LESS WATERED DOWN THAN 20-4A, just look at the total number of players and compare. Just trying to understand
your point.

Also another thing to think about is how the "Superlatives" or "MVP's" change the outcome of
the team. Just for example, if you had a catcher as overall MVP, another catcher as Offensive
MVP, then your 1st team catcher would essentially be the 3rd best catcher in the district. This
example sometimes explains how the final team looks. Just a thought to consider, not saying
it's right or wrong.

Rake1

So the "Superlatives" picks stand alone and those players can not be picked for 1st Team?

I guess I'm from the school of thought that you pick the best starting team which include 3-4 Pitchers (Starter, middle reliever, closer) and a starting line-up with a DH. That would be the 1st team.  You would do the same for 2nd team with the 2nd best talent at those positions.  This would be the team that ,in theory, you would place on the field to play another District in a game.  From the 1st team, you would then pick your MVP's or "Superlatives".  I think IMO that this would give you your best All-District selections.  Maybe there are other factors involved that I'm no aware of and makes this a mute point.

Is anybody "in the know" on how these picks are made?  Is it a bartering system as in, "I'll give you this pick if you give me this one"? Just curious, or is this something that needs to be dropped and left alone?

I have been dealing with All-District teams in both softball and baseball for the last seven years. As is the case with this team, the superlatives usually reward the most deserving players. Once past that point, not so much. The high school coaches have people that they have to please and keep happy. As will be the case forever, politics and pressure determine a lot of this. I know making this team is important to the kids, but that is just the way it is. The frustrating part is that the name on the back of the shirt in high school ball is sometimes more important than performance on the field, which only does the player injustice once they move on. Congratulations to the kids who made it. It is a nice honor. If you feel you should have made it and you didn't, next year take it out on the coaches that didn't vote for you and make them look bad.

So the "Superlatives" picks stand alone and those players can not be picked for 1st Team?

I guess I'm from the school of thought that you pick the best starting team which include 3-4 Pitchers (Starter, middle reliever, closer) and a starting line-up with a DH. That would be the 1st team.  You would do the same for 2nd team with the 2nd best talent at those positions.  This would be the team that ,in theory, you would place on the field to play another District in a game.  From the 1st team, you would then pick your MVP's or "Superlatives".  I think IMO that this would give you your best All-District selections.  Maybe there are other factors involved that I'm no aware of and makes this a mute point.

Is anybody "in the know" on how these picks are made?  Is it a bartering system as in, "I'll give you this pick if you give me this one"? Just curious, or is this something that needs to be dropped and left alone?

I personally haven't seen a team picked where the Superlative players were also included on the
1st team. I don't claim to have seen them all either.

As far as the "bartering" comment goes, I'll leave that to the conspiracy theorists. People
will form their own opinion regardless of the outcome.

Rake1

Boog   great post. Back n the day 1st team didn't consist of the number of picks today and this is something that probably the coaches have changed, to try and keep in good standings with those that can have a direct impact on their job. People can bring up the stats all they want when supporting the decision, but if the coach has a personal reason for seeing a kid be recognized those numbers can be altered. There is all different ways to make one look better than what they are.JMO

Boog   great post. Back n the day 1st team didn't consist of the number of picks today and this is something that probably the coaches have changed, to try and keep in good standings with those that can have a direct impact on their job. People can bring up the stats all they want when supporting the decision, but if the coach has a personal reason for seeing a kid be recognized those numbers can be altered. There is all different ways to make one look better than what they are.JMO

Some schools stats are more accessible than others. When your numbers are out there for all
the world to see it's awfully hard to argue with that. Besides that most coaches score the
games alike for the most part. A discrepancy here or there is going to happen but over the
course of 80-100 at bats it would take a bunch of "cooking the books" to truly change an
average that much. Sounds a little more like some conspiracy theory stuff.....

Rake1

Conspiracy Theory? Lol. I don't have time for that. Just stating my opinion, being brought up by a coach and later an administrator I understand what pressures a coach has to deal with. You can choose to do the right thing or choose to do the easy thing. Neither way is going to be popular by those it effects. It goes on everywhere!