Marshall & others Dropping 7th Grade Football

If you tell 100 7th grade boys that your gonna spend a year just conditioning and training with no real competition, 50 will tell you to shove it! Meaning they will wait till 8th grade to take the Athletics period. So it's a waste. If its really about teaching proper technique and conditioning, why not start that in sixth grade. At least then the sixth graders will feel like they are a part of the program.

Exactly.

Heck, BISD should cancel 7th grade football to save money, the kids aren't learning much at that grade level because of poor coaching at most schools anyway. Little League can handle this group since they would have time to develop and longer game time.

Heck, BISD should cancel 7th grade football to save money, the kids aren't learning much at that grade level because of poor coaching at most schools anyway. Little League can handle this group since they would have time to develop and longer game time.

Its not poor coaching, it is 7th grade football.

7th Grade games last about 50 min. after it's all said and done. Not very much playing time for the amount of players, but some schools have good coaching but the majority in my area does not. You see it when kids enter into high school and they don't know proper techniques & formations. Majority of the kids who came through good little league programs are starters for their h.s. teams and contribute much.

7th Grade games last about 50 min. after it's all said and done. Not very much playing time for the amount of players, but some schools have good coaching but the majority in my area does not. You see it when kids enter into high school and they don't know proper techniques & formations. Majority of the kids who came through good little league programs are starters for their h.s. teams and contribute much.

Does Alto, San Augustine, West Sabine, Joaquin, Groveton, Corrigan, New Waverly or Garrison have good coaches?

JRidge, on 18 May 2014 - 3:14 PM, said:snapback.png

Does Alto, San Augustine, West Sabine, Joaquin, Groveton, Corrigan, New Waverly or Garrison have good coaches?

Don't know much about those schools.

JRidge, on 18 May 2014 - 3:14 PM, said:snapback.png

Don't know much about those schools.

Most of the schools mentioned are district champions or playoff contenders every year. The same coaches that coach 7th grade coach Varsity also. The 7th grade programs are garbage at each. 7th grade football does not yield high level skills. I have constantly heard that the players are not taught basics until they get to high school but it really has to do with the fact that 7th grade football players don't care about learning basics and typically do what they want.

Most of the schools mentioned are district champions or playoff contenders every year. The same coaches that coach 7th grade coach Varsity also. The 7th grade programs are garbage at each. 7th grade football does not yield high level skills. I have constantly heard that the players are not taught basics until they get to high school but it really has to do with the fact that 7th grade football players don't care about learning basics and typically do what they want.

Corrigan has not played seventh grade football in over 20 years so you might want to take them off your list falcon.

Corrigan has not played seventh grade football in over 20 years so you might want to take them off your list falcon.

Our 7th graders played someone. 8th B? Unless I am losing my mind. Which is possible.

All of the schools you mentioned are small town schools that I would guess don't have much if any in the way of Youth Football Programs, so those 7th graders are straping on the pads for the first time. Thus they are not gonna be very good at first.

All of the schools you mentioned are small town schools that I would guess don't have much if any in the way of Youth Football Programs, so those 7th graders are straping on the pads for the first time. Thus they are not gonna be very good at first.

All of them have little league football. It has do with them being in Jr High.  

If you tell 100 7th grade boys that your gonna spend a year just conditioning and training with no real competition, 50 will tell you to shove it! Meaning they will wait till 8th grade to take the Athletics period. So it's a waste. If its really about teaching proper technique and conditioning, why not start that in sixth grade. At least then the sixth graders will feel like they are a part of the program.

We do that here with our sixth graders.

Where do you coach little league at?

Do you want to know the secret to success in Aledo?  We all played together and ran the same plays the high school team does since we were in kindergarten... It has absolutely nothing to do with how talented our players are.  We are always undersized but we play so well as a team from the years and years of chemistry and trusting each other in football situations.

Do you want to know the secret to success in Aledo?  We all played together and ran the same plays the high school team does since we were in kindergarten... It has absolutely nothing to do with how talented our players are.  We are always undersized but we play so well as a team from the years and years of chemistry and trusting each other in football situations.

Do you want know something else? Every school in Texas does the same thing. It has everything to do with talent.

You may be right though. Jonathan Gray was horrible. No talent what so ever. 

It speaks a lot about your little league program when the high school coaches allow your player to call (or change) their plays on the field. This currently happens on varsity teams. No, not every play, but the coach do respect their judgment. These are the kids that have been taught to understand what is going on.

Lol this thread has all kinds of awesome going on. Little league coaches coming out of the wood works telling us how much they know. Mean while coaches all over Texas have to teach kids how to get in a stance and explain what a 3 tech is bc no one has ever taught them either one.

I say play football as early in equipment as you can get them in.Modern day equipment is far advanced from many years ago.Alot of sports rules have been changed in some communities to make games more competetive.Example=Baseball,no team can score more than 5 runs per inning.You have to go out & play defense even if you had 0 outs.My teams of old would score 15 a inning if we could.Somebody has to take responsibility to get your team to buy in to solid teaching fundementals@ a early age.It's sad to see parents bring their kiddos out for sports in their last yr.of eligibility to play a sport where the parents have never played them w/their kiddos.The Great (coach)Rewards come the rest of your life as adults you coached as kiddos still smile,hug & say hello Coach

Do you want to know the secret to success in Aledo? We all played together and ran the same plays the high school team does since we were in kindergarten... It has absolutely nothing to do with how talented our players are. We are always undersized but we play so well as a team from the years and years of chemistry and trusting each other in football situations.

Funny thing about that. Buchanan actually told my father back around 2004 it was best to not play until 7th grade because he didn't want the players learning bad technique. Also the ones in high school now didn't run this system in youth league. Aledo switched to the spread 5 years ago

As for seventh graders not playing I may be a little since my eight grade year I was playing with 6th and 7th graders going against 6th, 7th, and 8th graders all on the same team. Of course six man is a little different when it comes to worrying about injuries with head shots still being legal and all. Just tape it up and put us back in the game.

Buchanan is right. Youth football is fine but coaches spend the first week correcting mistakes and teaching basics regardless bc 99% haven't been taught. The one thing Youth football does is give kids an idea what contact is like. But don't get it twisted youth football doesn't mean anything towards high school success. Only 2 things do and that's coaching and talent.

I can promise no youth coach can go into a Texas field house teach a Texas Highschool and most middle school coach something new. The guy I used to work for would bring the youth guys in and get on the board and would explain our base offense and defense. They would bring Pen and pads and within five mins would be lost. It's nothing against any youth guy bc it's not what they do. Football is complicated. Coaches spend years getting good at it. They go to camps, clinics, visit other coaches and watches hours apon hours worth of film. Just like most people spend time getting good at what they do.