What was the biggest upset you were ever involved in?

Guest Kelly Football

Guest Kelly Football

What was the biggest upset you were ever involved in?

Talk about your miracle upset win, or your unexpected upset loss, that wasn't supposed to happen.

• 8 months later...

The biggest upset I was part of is also one of my most embarrasing moments. My team (Claremore Zebras) were unranked and playing the Oklahoma Class 4A #1 ranked Miami Wardogs at Miami.  My embarrassing moment broke the tension in the locker room and we played with reckless abandon.  We shut them out 18-0.  I won't go into detail about the embarrassing moment.

Mississippi 5A football fall of 05'. Vicksburg High School played our biggest rival, Warren Central on the other side of town. We beat them 10-0, but it was only the second time ever I think. We played them for 30 years and never beat them at their house until then. It was truly uplifting for the whole program, and our side of town. "Gators Make History!" 8)

Lincoln over mighty WO-S in 1999.   :o

Sorry Stang fans

oh, the game that was also in P.A.-----the loss to silsbee

and another one that ALMOST was an upset   TJ vs Lincoln----1993, thank GOD Bob Hayes caught that 2-point conversion

oh, the one that actually brought me to tears-----WB losing to Katy in the dome after they CHEATED!  2-3 brook players were thrown out including Kendrick Bernard, no players thrown out for Katy....Hmmmmm...  >:(

The biggest upset? Easy to remember. Not so easy to talk about.

I was pulling for the team that won, so why is it so hard to talk about? Because it’s so removed from SETexas style football.

The game was played 32 years ago, in a different region of the country. A place where the rules of the game were the same, and the functions of the positions, but where the framework of the way high school football was organized and operated was so different from what we’ve always known here that it might have been, not merely a different state, but a different planet.

There was a school whose football teams were a joke. Perennial losers. One week earlier they were beaten in the season opener. The newspaper duly reported that they had lost their opening game for the umpteenth year in a row. That was an Away game. The following week they were at Home, against a big school from the state capital that was ranked number two in the state. I was there. Just out of curiosity. First time I had ever been to a football game in that part of the country.

Something unbelievable happened. The home team won. Beat the number two team in the state. At no time from kickoff to final tick of the clock did they look like losers. They totally dominated the game, demolishing the other team 26-0.

It would have been a great victory simply on its own merits. But as things turned out, as the fans watching in thrilled amazement could not have at that moment foreseen, this was the beginning of something that would have profound implications beyond the playing field. Something that would change things for the entire state and finally allow the boys who played the game to receive the recognition and respect that they had earned on the field. It was the beginning of a process that continued throughout that season and into the next until this school that had been such a loser had won the state championship.

Winning the state championship. That was the great problem. Until then you couldn’t “win†it. There was no playoff system for high school football in this state, so you could never win the championship on the field. There was a weekly top 10 poll, conducted by one newspaper, and which had ten voting members. At the end of the regular season the school ranked number one was acclaimed as the state champion on the basis of the poll. And because of where those ten voting members were located the dice were so loaded against the schools in this one corner of the state that it was impossible for them to ever get the votes needed to be number one. No matter how great they played on the football field.

For the rest of the season this one school continued to win impressively. And week after week they were so unfairly dismissed by the poll. And the discontent in this corner of the state simmered and boiled.

It forced a change that was announced for the next season. Not a regular playoff such as we have, but more like a BCS system. Through out the season high school teams accumulated points based on various parameters of their performance. At the end of regular season the two schools in each size classification with the highest points would then meet in a special playoff game. Everyone knew this special game was coming at the end of the season.

Meanwhile the newspaper poll continued as usual. The school that had pulled the great upset the year before was now a powerhouse. They were winning all their games. And they even made it up to number two in the poll. But as was always the case there was another team that was also undefeated. And this team was located at the other end of the state, where the votes were. So all season long this other team was number one. Not because they were better, but because they had the votes.

But for number two, their number of points were growing every week, with every victory. They knew they would never be number one in the poll. But they also knew that a day of reckoning was coming when the two teams would meet on the field and settle the question of who was really the best.

And when it came they destroyed number one. Literally stomped them into the turf. But that wasn’t an upset. They really were the best. The real upset came at the beginning of the previous season. When a losing team suddenly and dramatically turned it all around.

When this upset game had ended and the teams had left the field, we spectators filed out of the stands. As we made our way to the parking lot we had to walk by the field house, where the home team, the victorious team had their locker room. We could hear them inside. My God, we could hear them. The school had a certain cheer and during the games the cheerleaders would occasionally lead the fans in this cheer.

Now the football players were giving that cheer. Giving? They were screaming it, thundering it at the top of their lungs. They were stomping the floor and kicking the walls and lockers until the whole building must have trembled.

Right On, Right On, Right On, Right On.

Right On, Robert E. Fitch.

We’ve Got The Spirit To Get It On.

RIGHT ON, ROBERT E. FITCH

Well, a few years back, Ozen was I believe 6-4 or 7-3 and beat an undefeated Galena Park team.  They plowed them up and down the field all night and eventually blew them out like 61 - 14.  something like that.

Ned was 5-5 last year and they were undefeated.  I think it was 48-14 or something like that.

Could anyone recommend a good high school football discussion forum where posters love and respect the game?

You've found it right here. Some people don't speed read or skim. Attention spans are short in some places. Anyway I "skimmed" your novel and enjoyed it. MOST here love and respect the game - Most also enjoy a good jab if they feel the need. Everything is good.  :) :) :)

Guest ECBucFan

Actually, Ned's biggest IMO was vs Friendswood in '01.  #2 ranked in the state and Ned took it to them in the quarterfinals.

Fantastic game. Ned couldn't make a mistake that night even if they tried.  ;D

Guest TravelingBandsman

wasnt Pearson the QB and Edwards the RB?

I'm not exactly sure. I was only like 8 at the time, but after I grew up and started looking at past games, PN-G was the favored in that game and they had us beat up until the 4th quater where we came out of nowhere. We didn't get taken out that season until 3rd round by La Marque 20 -14

Fantastic game. Ned couldn't make a mistake that night even if they tried.  ;D

I remember that game well. It was COLD at Rice stadium that day. I remember drinking hot chocolate and spilling it all over my yellow sweatshirt in the first quarter when we scored our first TD. This reminds me why I never drink hot chocolate at games!

I remember that game well. It was COLD at Rice stadium that day. I remember drinking hot chocolate and spilling it all over my yellow sweatshirt in the first quarter when we scored our first TD. This reminds me why I never drink hot chocolate at games!

Boy that could ruin your day on several different levels.  ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder