20-4A Picks

NOTE: PERSONAL VIEW PERTAINING TO ALL DISTRICTS!!

Did people forget what M-V-P stands for?: MOST VALUABLE PLAYER!! What happened to the MVP being on the team that actually WON the district title? I don't understand how just scoring the most points classifies as a MVP. If the District MVP is the most valuable in the district, then why wouldnt the DISTRICT MVP'S team NOT win district? . An MVP is an ALL AROUND player, DEFENSE, steals, free throws, assists and scoring. A team leader that displays all out hustle, don't mind hitting the floor for loose balls and does whatever it takes for his/her team to WIN! that is how the "VALUE" is determined to be the MOST on their team and across the district. Yes, the selections are now politics and the coaches are giving kids that do not deserve to be a certain selection or a selection period a FALSE sense of self worth.

NOTE: PERSONAL VIEW PERTAINING TO ALL DISTRICTS!!

Did people forget what M-V-P stands for?: MOST VALUABLE PLAYER!! What happened to the MVP being on the team that actually WON the district title? I don't understand how just scoring the most points classifies as a MVP. If the District MVP is the most valuable in the district, then why wouldnt the DISTRICT MVP'S team NOT win district? . An MVP is an ALL AROUND player, DEFENSE, steals, free throws, assists and scoring. A team leader that displays all out hustle, don't mind hitting the floor for loose balls and does whatever it takes for his/her team to WIN! that is how the "VALUE" is determined to be the MOST on their team and across the district. Yes, the selections are now politics and the coaches are giving kids that do not deserve to be a certain selection or a selection period a FALSE sense of self worth.

I don't necessarily agree that the MVP has to be a member of the team that wins the District Title. I think there a number of things that should be considered (coach, team memebers, etc.) For instance, the calibur of players attending one school may be superior to that of another school hence they win the District Title. But that should not hinder other district standouts from being considered for the MVP Award. Maybe they should do a numbers breakdown by assist, points, rebounds, steals and the nominee that wins the most should be the award receipient.  OAN.....I do I feel that the should however exhibit all the traits you mentioned..

"An MVP is an ALL AROUND player, DEFENSE, steals, free throws, assists and scoring. A team leader that displays all out hustle, don't mind hitting the floor for loose balls and does whatever it takes for his/her team to WIN!"

I don't necessarily agree that the MVP has to be a member of the team that wins the District Title. I think there a number of things that should be considered (coach, team memebers, etc.) For instance, the calibur of players attending one school may be superior to that of another school hence they win the District Title. But that should not hinder other district standouts from being considered for the MVP Award. Maybe they should do a numbers breakdown by assist, points, rebounds, steals and the nominee that wins the most should be the award receipient.  OAN.....I do I feel that the should however exhibit all the traits you mentioned..

"An MVP is an ALL AROUND player, DEFENSE, steals, free throws, assists and scoring. A team leader that displays all out hustle, don't mind hitting the floor for loose balls and does whatever it takes for his/her team to WIN!"

I respect and see your point, but there is some kid on the team that won the district title that did whatever it took for their team to be number one and should get awarded for that. TOP TEAM=TOP AWARD. Then there is some kid who is not worried about their "team" winning the district title (or should I say is not their priority)  and just looks at their personal scoring stats to collect "personal" accolades.  Of course the kid that put in more work just for their "personal" goals will have more points because thats all he/she concentrated on the whole season. This is not a MVP.  What message does this send to rest of the players in the district? Ok now everyone just focus on scoring because that is how you get awards?? I hope not.  I just believe that the Basketball is a TEAM sport and the individual that bust their butt for their TEAM to win the top award should get the top individual award for making that happen.

Best way to figure MVP is to think about what the team would've done without them. The 3A district had MVP come from 4th place team. Without her they may have won 3 games all year. I feel bad though to the best 6 or 7 girls that truly deserve the honor. It takes all the honor out of it when very girl can say the made all district.

Best way to figure MVP is to think about what the team would've done without them. The 3A district had MVP come from 4th place team. Without her they may have won 3 games all year. I feel bad though to the best 6 or 7 girls that truly deserve the honor. It takes all the honor out of it when very girl can say the made all district.

That player was the TEAM MVP not a ALL DISTRICT MVP. There is a big difference.

I respect and see your point, but there is some kid on the team that won the district title that did whatever it took for their team to be number one and should get awarded for that. TOP TEAM=TOP AWARD. Then there is some kid who is not worried about their "team" winning the district title (or should I say is not their priority)  and just looks at their personal scoring stats to collect "personal" accolades.  Of course the kid that put in more work just for their "personal" goals will have more points because thats all he/she concentrated on the whole season. This is not a MVP.  What message does this send to rest of the players in the district? Ok now everyone just focus on scoring because that is how you get awards?? I hope not.  I just believe that the Basketball is a TEAM sport and the individual that bust their butt for their TEAM to win the top award should get the top individual award for making that happen.

I will agree to disagree

That should have been the Worry girl. She is more rounded as a player. Granted, the Jacks girl is an outstanding shooter, but the Worry is the real deal. Good luck to her. I believe she has a great basketball future.

Talked to one of the coaches there and they all pointed out that Jacks never lost to Lumberton and made 11 3s multiple times against them and then when they lose half their team they add her and Lumberton goes 28-6 and besides Ozen beats down every team. Heard they scored over 1000 points just in district. Worry played good but from what I saw Jacks made Lumberton a whole lot better. I do not think a single team pressed them because of her ball handling. It's going to be different next year not having a point guard in the district like her or Malena.

I honestly believe this is fair since Ozen received offense defense and coach plus the fact the other 3 starters were named first team.

As for you eagleeye it's funny how you post stuff that was said at the meeting. You seem to be a coach and from what I was told. I believe I know exactly who you are. I'll be nice and won't say names but maybe your personal feelings got in the way of voting.

Lol. Maybe. As for personal feelings getting in the way of voting, you are definitely correct. All-District picks are always voted on personally. I don't care what anyone tells you. But for the record, I did not vote for anything or anyone. And by the way, weren't you the one bashing the Jacks girl AND Lumberton early in he season? Now you're trying to be nice. I guess anyone can change their stripes.

Lol. Maybe. As for personal feelings getting in the way of voting, you are definitely correct. All-District picks are always voted on personally. I don't care what anyone tells you. But for the record, I did not vote for anything or anyone. And by the way, weren't you the one bashing the Jacks girl AND Lumberton early in he season? Now you're trying to be nice. I guess anyone can change their stripes.

I know you didn't vote but you did have a say and it's obvious why you picked who you did. And look you're right bit here's the facts my opinion has changed because of the last four years. Vidor did lose richmond and jacks but after seeing how much jacks made Worry better and more open it was obvious how VALUABLE she is. It also showed how much she helped Richmond the three years before. Jacks is no Jones or Washington but this year she was the most valuable. Take a player Beckett off Ozen we still win district. Take Jacks off Lumberton they would be fighting with LCM and Central. So yeah that is valuable. Worry excelled having a true point guard and Jacks has excelled having a second scorer but last I checked the point guard was the general on the floor

Where did you see 13 more honorable mention selections? The link above shows the 14 first teamers and 16 second teamers, but no honorable mention list. I agree with some of the previous posts that 30 is a lot and really dilutes the meaning of 1st and 2nd team selections. It would seem a number closer to 7-8 per team would be a better representation and the rest in the Honorable Mention category, but I understand this is a collective coaches' decision, and they can do what they want, it just seems very politicized. This should be an honor and not a participation award, and it should be ok if not all teams are represented.

Where did you see 13 more honorable mention selections? The link above shows the 14 first teamers and 16 second teamers, but no honorable mention list. I agree with some of the previous posts that 30 is a lot and really dilutes the meaning of 1st and 2nd team selections. It would seem a number closer to 7-8 per team would be a better representation and the rest in the Honorable Mention category, but I understand this is a collective coaches' decision, and they can do what they want, it just seems very politicized. This should be an honor and not a participation award, and it should be ok if not all teams are represented.

Now I can't find it but I did see it. I think it was Kogt.com. That being said 14 first teamers and 16 second teamers is way to much. These coaches made a joke of the all districts picks. That was counting the MVP awards in the 43.

• 3 weeks later...