How bout them Bronchos?

[quote name="Smoking Baby Again" post="1424787" timestamp="1376674053"]
Pride, yall siting with Liltex this evening?  He's been boat shopping for his son, guess I need to run him down.
[/quote]i wouldn't be the same if you weren't there to critique the Bronx. I actually do want your honest assesment after the game. I can usually find some true football knowledge in between the bronco bashing. I hope to see you there.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="bronco pride" post="1424791" timestamp="1376674406"]
[quote author=Smoking Baby Again link=topic=113292.msg1424787#msg1424787 date=1376674053]
Pride, yall siting with Liltex this evening?  He's been boat shopping for his son, guess I need to run him down.
[/quote]i wouldn't be the same if you weren't there to critique the Bronx. I actually do want your honest assesment after the game. I can usually find some true football knowledge in between the bronco bashing. I hope to see you there.
[/quote]

It's all in fun, good kids working hard so us inmature adults can bash each other.  I mean that is Texas High School Football, right?  ;D ;D  Well that and Liltex caling me from his computer because he has spit coffee on the keyboard..... ;D ;D

[quote name="bronco pride" post="1424791" timestamp="1376674406"]
[quote author=Smoking Baby Again link=topic=113292.msg1424787#msg1424787 date=1376674053]
[/quote]  That cancer baby isn't allowed on the home side.. He has to sit on the visitors side right by the poop truck..... they making sure it good and empty for those eaglettes when they come to town. And get another sonic special 54-0    ♡ B-)

[quote name="OctFeb" post="1424798" timestamp="1376675253"]
[quote author=bronco pride link=topic=113292.msg1424791#msg1424791 date=1376674406]
[/quote]  That cancer baby isn't allowed on the home side.. He has to sit on the visitors side right by the poop truck..... they making sure it good and empty for those eaglettes when they come to town. And get another sonic special 54-0    ♡ B-)
[/quote]

Uhmmm, I was even going to bring you a pretty BH shirt to wear next week when you come watch us play Mexico.  ;)

Dayton defense looked better than expected,they have issues with jumping across the scrimmage line before the ball is snapped and it cost them. They otherwise looked descent for their first scrimmage.
Overall Grade on Defense Tonite B-

Dayton offense needs work quit running the same 5 or 6 plays over and over again.
Need to shore up the front line and I counted at least 4 times where there was absolutely no blocking on the defensive corners and that allowed blind side hits to our quarterback.
I like the QB he's quick and a pretty accurate passer.
He threw two perfect passes tonight that would've been tds but that's how it goes.
Overall Grade on Offense Tonite C-

We have a young team but they will be fine and I want to thank them for all their hard work and I believe we will make the play-offs again for the 18th year.
Go Broncos

Congrats to Friendswood. I think that you will do well in district.

Wasn't overly impressed with the Bronco's against Friendswood they have some work to do and must improve a lot or they will playing basketball come play off time. Defense didn't put any pressure on FW's qb they stood around to much - way to many off side calls on the offense - we need a big back to loosen the middle up ( is Ruffin available ?) same old side line screen passes we been running for 17 yrs maybe as the season progresses we'll dust off a new play book. We got another show-case kicker again this year :) QB has a good arm and will improve every game wished he was bigger. Our WR's are fast and athletic and will carry the team if we mix things up a bit. Don't see us hanging with SC or Crosby and will have a hard time stopping O'Neal when we play BH, but who knows I've been wrong before and the season is young and so are the Bronco's ...

I left at half... any scoring in the 2nd half?

I'm comfortable with what I witnessed considering all the youth and inexperience that I know is on the field. Once the game slows down a little for our sophs and our qb, I think the broncos will be pretty solid.

I didnt watch the whole srimmage, but what I did see was typical first scrimmage.

The problem that I see with Dayton, is the offense is running a very vanilla offense. The QB looked decent when he had time. OL needs to stay on blocks longer, WR need to catch better and hold on to ball, and RB need to run more north and south. Fwood strung out the sweep plays a lot.

Defense must be young and their was some busted coverages. They did seem to swarm to the ball. Decent first scrimmage. Fwood looked pretty solid.

[quote name="jayhawk" post="1425031" timestamp="1376712144"]
Wasn't overly impressed with the Bronco's against Friendswood they have some work to do and must improve a lot or they will playing basketball come play off time. Defense didn't put any pressure on FW's qb they stood around to much - way to many off side calls on the offense - we need a big back to loosen the middle up ( is Ruffin available ?) same old side line screen passes we been running for 17 yrs maybe as the season progresses we'll dust off a new play book. We got another show-case kicker again this year :) QB has a good arm and will improve every game wished he was bigger. Our WR's are fast and athletic and will carry the team if we mix things up a bit. Don't see us hanging with SC or Crosby and will have a hard time stopping O'Neal when we play BH, but who knows I've been wrong before and the season is young.
[/quote]

Just one quick note... dayton ran the wishbone (or some primarily running O) for the first several playoff years. Those screens or sideline passes came later. i definitely agree our receiving crew can be awefully good though. I think this group has a lot of upside IMO.

Kinda hard to put a finger on the outcome but here's my take on the scrimmage:Dayt seems alright against the run.Need work on the crossing routes over the middle(same problem as last year)getting beat deep.Optimistic because it's FW(most yrs they beat us thru the air)And the Mustangs were 2012 bi-dist finalist who returns 6 offense & 9 on defense.We're a little younger w/5 & 4 returning.Kicking game is good,punting needs work.Need to catch those on target wide open passes in space.Need to work in the run game more and throw some deep balls to keep the defense off balance.I tally the effort w/these =Dayt 1st dwns 15  FW 14.But we gave FW 4 1st dwns by penalty.Lots of work to be done and we didn't get to see what we're really good at & that's kickoff/punt returns w/speed in space.

[quote name="dayton" post="1425044" timestamp="1376713125"]
[quote author=jayhawk link=topic=113292.msg1425031#msg1425031 date=1376712144]
Wasn't overly impressed with the Bronco's against Friendswood they have some work to do and must improve a lot or they will playing basketball come play off time. Defense didn't put any pressure on FW's qb they stood around to much - way to many off side calls on the offense - we need a big back to loosen the middle up ( is Ruffin available ?) same old side line screen passes we been running for 17 yrs maybe as the season progresses we'll dust off a new play book. We got another show-case kicker again this year :) QB has a good arm and will improve every game wished he was bigger. Our WR's are fast and athletic and will carry the team if we mix things up a bit. Don't see us hanging with SC or Crosby and will have a hard time stopping O'Neal when we play BH, but who knows I've been wrong before and the season is young.
[/quote]

Just one quick note... dayton ran the wishbone (or some primarily running O) for the first several playoff years. Those screens or sideline passes came later. i definitely agree our receiving crew can be awefully good though. I think this group has a lot of upside IMO.
[/quote] I was probably being a little to hard with my critique being the first scrimmage of the season. The bronco's are young and I do see them developing into a good team ,but we are young and not that big so we are going to have to work hard for every win!! I wish we would bring the wish-bone back and mix it in with our "spread offense" just to keep the other teams honest it also would allow more of the skill players more touches to run with the ball and be more involved with the offense. Grind it out on the  ground sometimes kill the clock and give out defense a rest !

With the weather delay in the JV/ Freshman Scrimmage  for the whole varsity scrimmage and only saw the first half, but here are my impressions:

1. It was pretty physical for the first scrimmage of the year.  The red QB jersey's didnt seem to slow anybody down.

2. Friendswood's young qb can make the throws and is a little quicker than I thought.

3. Dayton's qb has an good arm and can also make all the throws.

4. Both teams O-lines still have some work to do.  Unusually, D line is one of Friendswood's strengths and our ends are really quick if a little undersized.  As a result, we got good pressure on the QB and were able to disrupt some plays.  Dayton's D seemed pretty solid between the tackles and we had a hard time running the ball -- my son says that got better in the second half.

5. Friendswood has more speed in the secondary than we usually have. We arent blazing fast, but still pretty fast.

6. Dayton's kicker has a big leg.

7. JV scrimmage was dominated by Friendswood on both sides of the ball.

8. Freshman scrimmage was back and forth with both sides scoring and making some big hits.

I woke up today feeling good about what I saw last night. Dayton doesn't scrimmage teams like friendswood and Nederland so they can go up and down the field. They schedule them because they are very good we'll coached teams and will make dayton a better team. Dayton has at least 3 sophomores starting on the offensive line and they will get better every week. Dayton had to many penalties and dropped balls even for a scrimmage but those are things that can be cleaned up. Dayton's qb looked good especially if you consider he wasn't even the starter on jv last year. He has a good arm and will get better. He had his receivers drop several great passes including one that was a guaranteed td. Dayton's defense looked good other than a couple blown coverages. Dayton's dline has a junior at nose who will be a player and a sophomore at 3 tech who is going to be a stud. Didn't see much pressure on the friendswood qb but also didn't see any blitzing. It's kinda hard to put pressure on a qb rushing 3 men when you have 5 lineman blocking them. But im sure dayton will bring those linebackers more as the season begins. I think dayton will do fine and friendswood looked solid as usual.

[quote name="bronco pride" post="1425112" timestamp="1376752086"]
I woke up today feeling good about what I saw last night. Dayton doesn't scrimmage teams like friendswood and Nederland so they can go up and down the field. They schedule them because they are very good we'll coached teams and will make dayton a better team. Dayton has at least 3 sophomores starting on the offensive line and they will get better every week. Dayton had to many penalties and dropped balls even for a scrimmage but those are things that can be cleaned up. Dayton's qb looked good especially if you consider he wasn't even the starter on jv last year. He has a good arm and will get better. He had his receivers drop several great passes including one that was a guaranteed td. Dayton's defense looked good other than a couple blown coverages. Dayton's dline has a junior at nose who will be a player and a sophomore at 3 tech who is going to be a stud. Didn't see much pressure on the friendswood qb but also didn't see any blitzing. It's kinda hard to put pressure on a qb rushing 3 men when you have 5 lineman blocking them. But im sure dayton will bring those linebackers more as the season begins. I think dayton will do fine and friendswood looked solid as usual.
[/quote] Agree BP on Dayton blitzing more and that pays right into our LB's fast/athletic strengths. FW had at least half a dozen over the QB head hikes and I don't think we recovered one of them because the defensive line was slow to react after their blocking assignments but I'm sure that will be worked out.

Play of the game for me was when one of the many hikes over the FW QB head four or five Bronco's were with in inches of recovering the ball when out of nowhere the FW RB went bonzi-airborne and dove in the middle of the pile full speed  to recover the fumble ! My wife said hey we recovered that fumble and I said " you didn't see that silver streak"

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder