Local Players in College / Pro Action

Clay Buchholtz......

Another Great performance from Clay and another tough ND in the books.......August 6th 07.... He goes 7 innings, gives up one earned run, on 4 hits.  In those seven he struck out nine batters which he has now done in two consecutive outings......Something else he did in two straight games was not allow a single walk.  So far in 5 starts for AAA Pawtucket his 0-1 record does not do justice to his mound performance.........i know he would like a few more W's but the 25.1 innings and 39 strikeouts speaks volumes........Keep throwing strikes Clay!!!

Chip Ambres........

His trip up was short, he had 3 at bats and one hit.........but how many, around here, can say they had a walk off RBI in the majors (what a great moment)....

Back at it with the AAA New Orleans Zephyrs Chip post's a .308 ave in his last 10 games even as late as yesterday he went 2 for 4........Great Job Chip!!

Lew Ford.........

Not a great week for Lew as he was opted back down to AAA Rochester for some fine tuning.........He's 1 for 7 in his two games back with the Red Wings......let's hope he finds 'the loop' and comes back as "sweet Lew"!!  Good Luck Lew!!

Jay "Bruce Allmighty"........

The best cleshay to use for Jay right now is "He ain't going down with out a fight!!"  I think his quote was something like..."My job is to make it as hard as possible for them to send me back down...."  So far so good for the AAA Bats....28 games and a .307 average, 7 long-balls, 2 trips, and 5 dubs.......14 of his 31 hits for extra bases.......wow  not mentioning in his last 10 games alone he's hitting .351 and has hit safely in all but two of those ten.........Gota love the nick name already........BRUCE ALLMIGHTY!!!!!

Jason Tyner.........

Say hey, say Home run??  Jason on July 28 was holding the streak for the most AB's for an active player without a Home run.....that was until his 2 for 4 performance against the Cleveland Indians......1221 AB's  the dugout looked like he had just won the seventh game of the World Series..........

He's having a slow start to the new month but at the end of July he was hitting .291........so we hope there's another hump in the roller coaster........Keep swingin' JT!!!!

Micah Hoffpauir.......(Lamar)

Those "red bird" fans might remember him at LU but I remember him when he was a runt.....so I thought I would add him in......AAA Iowa Cubs and he's been there all season batting .319 in 82 games smacking 40 of his 99 hits for extra bases....... GO MICAH!!!

Derrick Gordon.............

For the A Kane County Cougars, Derrick is getting it done.......His efforts just yesterday got him his 3rd win, as a reliever, he came in to pitch 2.1 innings striking out 5 batters!!! In 24 outings Derrick is maintaining a 1.98 era and has 44 k's in 41 innings pitched........Way to Go Derrick!!!

Collin DeLome...........

Class A Tri-City Vally Cats outfielder is having an impressive run.......as of right now he's batting .290 in 42 games.  He tore it up in June batting .429 in 11 games and also posted 9 rbi's.  In the early days of August he's on another high right now batting .304 in 7 games.........Keep swingin' Collin......The Astros need some help!!.....lol

Cody Strait...............

WOW.....what a difference a month makes......lets hope every month starts out like August for Cody.........in his last 8 games for A Sarasota, Cody is batting .375 scored 9 runs and drove in 7.....In his 12 hit's this month 5 have been 2b's, 2 for 3b's, and 2 left the yard......that's 9 extra base hits out of his last 12....just yesterday Cody went 2 for 5 with a double and a triple, scored 2 runs, and had an rbi.  On August the 5th Cody was a HR away from the cycle as he went 3 for 5 scoring 3 times.......NICE......VERY NICE!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I heard that there are a few Beaumont boys playing at Lamar this year. West Brook's Josiah Svoboda and Cathedral's Nick Christopher are having successful falls their freshman year. Also from this area at Lamar is Nederland's Beau Helmke. Heard he is doing great also. I haven't heard much about anyone else. I was told there is another boy from Cathedral playing ball also. I believe his name is Jake McDonald at Howard Payne University if I'm not mistaken. Has anyone heard how he is doing? Also if you have any updates on how Tim Ferguso, Jake Rowel, Johnny Dishion, or anyone else from this area are doing this fall, let us know.

Alex Moshier is enjoying life at SFA.  The campus is great, baseball is awesome, and school work is getting done (or at least he tells Mom and Dad it is!).  He has spent most of his time behind the plate in practice and intersquads but has also pitched a little and played some outfield.   What little contact I have had with his coaches I have been told they are "really glad to have him" and that he is definately a "keeper".  I am sure they tell all the Dads that but even Alex says he has been doing real well. 

Not so good news from SFA is that the new baseball/softball complex is not moving as quickly as hoped.  Fundraising has been OK but they are still short of having the amount needed and the situation is to be reevaluated in January. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sore hamstrings sideline Reds prospect

Bruce kept off World Cup team

Top Reds hitting prospect Jay Bruce of Westbrook left the U.S. World Cup team and returned home to Texas because of sore hamstrings. Bruce has been bothered by sore hamstrings since late in the minor league season.

This is the hidden content, please

• 3 weeks later...

Kyle Adams from LCM (transfer from hill jr.college) is playing at Wayland Baptist University. After a sucessful fall season he will be the Pioneers #3 on the mound.

Coach Josh Milner's Blue team defeated Coach Brandon Henegar's Gold team 5-2 in nine innings on Friday night to capture the championship of the Blue/Gold series, the annual week-long event that closes out the Pioneer's fall baseball season.

There was no lack of drama and excitement during the five-game series, which included two extra-inning contests, a grand slam homer, two games won by the mercy-rule, a fractured elbow, a broken hand, and a big bolt of lightning.

Freshman pitcher Trevor Stringer picked up two of his Blue team's three wins. The graduate of Lubbock's Monterey High School started game two of the series, earning a 7-2 win, then pitched an inning-and-two-thirds of scoreless relief in the final game of the series for the second W. In his two appearances, Stringer allowed two unearned runs on four hits in eight-and-two-thirds innings, striking out 13 and walking just two batters.

Senior Gary Gates pitched five innings of two-hit ball in game one to lead his Gold team to a 12-1 victory. Sophomore Kyle Adams got the other win for the Gold, an 11-1 thrashing in game four. Adams pitched a complete game, allowing a run on four hits in his six innings of work.

The third game of the series on Wednesday was interrupted by a severe thunderstorm that blew through the area. Junior southpaw Jason Kimzey of the Blue team was working on a two-hit shutout when the game was called in the bottom of the fifth inning.

When the game resumed on Thursday, sophomore Paul Rodriguez hit the first pitch over the left field wall to stake his team to a 3-0 lead, but the Gold team responded with three unearned runs in the top of the sixth.

Junior centerfielder Todd Jeffress put the Blue team back on top by one with a bomb of his own in the bottom half of the frame, but junior outfielder Westin Rhoads scored another unearned run for the Gold team in the seventh on freshman shortstop Scott Keane's RBI single.

Neither team could manufacture a run in the eighth, but the Blue team got the winning run across the plate in the bottom of the ninth when Rodriguez doubled home Brett Sheppard, a junior catcher, to give senior reliever Rodolfo Olavarria the 5-4 victory.

Sheppard (.462) and Jeffress (.429) swung the hot bats for the Blue team during the series. Sheppard's hits included two doubles and a home run, while Jeffress had two doubles, a triple and two homers, including a grand slam in game two.

For the Gold team, junior second baseman Brett Cook hit .400 with two doubles, and Vinnie Biancamano (.333), a senior shortstop, belted out three doubles, a triple and a series-high nine RBI. Speedy freshman third baseman Eddie Allen (.333) ran out two triples and was a perfect four-for-four on the base paths.

The 2008 baseball season kicks off on January 18 when the Pioneers travel to Brownsville to take on the University of Texas-Brownsville in a three-game series.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

10 impact rookies ready to break out

1. Clay Buchholz, SP, Red Sox, 23

Buchholz already has a no-hitter to his credit, so you know he's capable of thriving in the majors. He's also the best pitching prospect in baseball right now. He's got a tremendous four-seam fastball, a plus-plus 12-6 curve, a sinking two-seamer, a solid slider and an above-average changeup. He's got command of all those pitches, and on the mound he's poised and has clean mechanics. Provided Buccholz stays healthy, he's a future ace. The BoSox have plenty of rotation depth right now, but they'll make room for Buchholz. He'll excel right away, and there's likely a Cy Young or two in his future.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Buchholz to have AC jersey retired tonight

Red Sox pitcher to be on hand for ceremony at halftime of tonight's game

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

After tonight, there will be no-no No. 11 on the Angelina College Roadrunner baseball team.

Former Roadrunner and current Boston Red Sox pitcher Clay Buchholz, who stunned the baseball world this past fall by throwing a no hitter in just his second major-league start, will be on hand to this evening to have his No. 11 — the number he wore for AC for two full seasons — retired in a ceremony scheduled to take place in Shands Gym during halftime of the men's basketball game against Panola

Blast from the past

1/6/98

A sports reporter from NBC in Beaumont told me that QB Chip Ambres will not make a decision between Oklahoma and A&M until Feb.3 at 10 PM during a news conference. Apparently he will take all his visits before committing to any school. That will certainly be an exciting and anxious moment for the schools involved for this All-American.

Brittany Kinlaw from Memorial is at NSU, Roshante LeBlanc is also from Memorial and she attends LSU, Dravannti Johnson from Nederland attends University of Texas, Stephen Jackson from Lincoln plays in the NBA for the Warriors, and Kevin Perkins who attended Ozen is now in the NBA and plays for the Celtics.

WOS John Patterson

Healthy Patterson ready for full season

Nats righty 'doing really well,' threw 100 pitches on Monday

By Bill Ladson / MLB.com

WASHINGTON -- What would a healthy John Patterson mean to the Nationals in 2008? Quite a lot. They would like the right-hander to repeat his 2005 performance, when he set career highs in strikeouts (185) and had a 3.13 ERA in 31 starts.

• 2 weeks later...

Nederland's Dustin Hood

"Goff combines with junior shortstop Dustin Hood to give Wake Forest a steady defensive presence up the middle. Hood has been the Deacons' starting shortstop since day one of his freshman campaign. Last season, Hood started all 63 games and led the team with 72 base hits. Hood, who was named to the All-Tournament Team at the 2007 ACC Championships, finished the year hitting .278 with 42 RBIs."

LCM's/ McNeese Shon Landry

"Shon Landry, Dustin Guidry and Jordan Venable were the only Cowboys to manage a hit against the Tech pitchers on Sunday.  Landry and Guidry were both two for three while Venable had one hit.  One of Landry's hits was a double."