*Nederland vs. Montgomery Game 1 Updates*/Montgomery wins 3-1!!

Feltman K, Sampere single, Sanderson single, New pitcher for Montgomery, Self single loads the bases with 1 out, Nevalla rbi single, Credeur(PH) K, Broussard 6-3

Montgomery                3  8    0 
Nederland                    1  5    1    Final

Great job Bears!! Tough close game

HOUSTON — Collin Garrett pitched into the seventh inning and Ty Boland closed the door on a late rally as Montgomery beat Nederland 3-1 in Game 1 of the teams’ best-of-three Region III-4A quarterfinal series Friday night at Langham Creek High School.

The Bears can close out the Bulldogs with a win on Saturday at Clear Lake High School. Game 2 is set for 3 p.m. with Game 3, if necessary, to follow

Garrett surrendered only one hit and two walks through six spectacular innings before yielding a pair of one-out singles in the bottom of the seventh.

After Boland came on in relief, Nederland’s Brandon Self lined the senior left-hander’s first offering into left field to load the bases. Gabe Nevala then hit an RBI single through the right side of the infield to make it 3-1.

But Boland struck out pinch hitter Cody Credeur looking and induced a ground ball by leadoff hitter Colton Broussard. Senior shortstop Garrett Hrozek fielded a short hop on the run and fired to first for the final out.

“Collin threw strikes tonight,” Montgomery coach Chris Morris said. “He went out there and he did his job. He got a lot of ground balls and with the defense that he’s got behind him, that’s the kind of thing that wins playoff games.”

The Bears’ No. 8 hitter, Jared Eaton started a pair of rallies by leading off two separate innings with singles.

“I thought we all hit the bat well tonight,” Morris said. “I thought everybody came up there and had good at-bats and squared the ball up pretty good.”

Eaton scored on a sacrifice fly by Will Fox for the first run of the game in the third and came home on a passed ball to double the lead in the fifth. Two batters later, Jimmy Dominick’s single through the left side plated Garrett Hrozek, who was 3 for 4 with a double.

“My team backed me up with hitting me in, so that’s always nice,” Eaton said.

As Montgomery battered Bulldogs starter Mitchell Sanderson for eight hits in the first five innings, Garrett settled in.

Nederland put a runner on in each of the first and second innings, but Garrett worked around the trouble and retired the Bulldogs 1-2-3 in the third and fourth. The sophomore right-hander allowed only a walk over the third, fourth, fifth and sixth innings.

“If he keeps pitching like this, we’ll play great,” said Eaton, a junior right fielder.

Boland, one of the stars for the Bears in their run to the state tournament last year, earned the save.

“I was a little nervous, but I thought we’d get out of it,” Eaton said. “(We have) a lot of confidence (in Ty) from past years of playing with him. He’s a good ball player.”

Montgomery 3, Nederland 1

Montgomery 001 020 0 — 3 8 0

Nederland 000 000 1 — 1 5 2

Records — Montgomery: 29-5-1. Nederland 26-6.

WP: Collin Garrett (6 1/3 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 6 K, 2 BB)

LP: Mitchell Sanderson (7 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 5 K, 1 BB)

S: Ty Boland (2/3 IP, 2 H, 1 K)

Leaders — Montgomery: Jimmy Dominick 1-4, RBI; Will Fox 0-2, SF, RBI, BB; Jared Eaton 2-3, 2 R; Garrett Hrozek 3-4, 2B, R; Nate Van Dyke 1-3; Gunner Vaught 1-3. Nederland: Gabe Nevala 1-3, RBI; Sanderson 2-3; Brandon Self 1-2, BB; Aaron Sampere 1-3; Colton Broussard 0-3, BB. Tyler Spell R.

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/courier/sports/garrett-montgomery-open-series-with---victory/article_47b788f6-26e0-5e5e-8553-ef8dacd8ce32.html

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder