Specialization in Sports - Good or Bad?

Starting this thread in the Football forum only because I think football is affected the most by it.  There have been plenty of studies and articles written about this but I'll just include one statement from one expert to get things started.  Also included the website.

"With the exception of select sports such as gymnastics in which the elite competitors are very young, the best data we have would suggest that the odds of achieving elite levels with this method are exceedingly poor. In fact, some studies indicate that early specialization is less likely to result in success than participating in several sports as a youth, and then specializing at older ages"

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/04/130423172601.htm

[quote name="$MTC-28$" post="1404765" timestamp="1368629897"]
Stick to what you know best and focus on it alone. You gotta do what you gotta do to ensure your own future. But on the other hand there are sports that I consider to compliment each other. For example football and track.
[/quote]

Power lifting, Track, and Football....

Play as many sports as possible.(as many sports as one chooses, loves, likes and cares to play)

I think "specialization" is way overrated. You only get a certain amount of time to play high school sports. Take advantage and enjoy it as much as you can.

If you are good enough at one sport to garner a scholarship to play at the college level, playing other sports will not effect that outcome.

Coach Graham, head baseball coach at national power Rice University, has been quoted as saying he recruits multi sport athletes over "just baseball guys". He prefers the athlete, not the "special kid". ;)

I always hate to hear about coaches in a particular sport try to "encourage"  ::) kids to just play "their"  ;) sport. For the most part, majority of high school coaches encourage their athletes to play as many sports as they want.

Most agree that it is Bad mainly when the kids are young.  This article says don't specialize before 12.  Others say wait till kid is finished growing and maturing,  And even others have said, wait until after sophomore year at least.  The answer is different for every kid and family obviously but let's assume we are talking about a student/athlete who is athletic and gifted enough to make a significant contribution in any sport that he or she plays. 

[quote name="AthleticSupporter - Jock" post="1404806" timestamp="1368635302"]
Most agree that it is Bad mainly when the kids are young.  This article says don't specialize before 12.  Others say wait till kid is finished growing and maturing,  And even others have said, wait until after sophomore year at least.  The answer is different for every kid and family obviously but let's assume we are talking about a student/athlete who is athletic and gifted enough to make a significant contribution in any sport that he or she plays.
[/quote]First of all the parent has to be honest with themselves which is the majority of the problem with these issues. I have my three sons and two nephews I'm involved with. The oldest is 12 and will be entering middle school and only plays football and basketball. I'll tell you right now he's not a basketball player even though he's going to end up well over 6'. I make sure I clarify that to him also, not in a demeaning way but one in which he comprehends where he stands among other kids his age. My son will tell anybody who asks he's going to play football for LSU or UT and as he's gotten older he's just started to do things to show that. I constantly have to reprimand him for messing with the weights in the garage without  my supervision among other things. All that to say he knows football is his best opportunity to play sports beyond high school. My middle son and oldest nephew on the other hand are the kids that everything they touch they seem to be the best or very near the top at. My nephew's dad was once in the Jamaica national youth soccer program and my sister is 5'11" so to limit or "specialize" him in a certain sport before seeing which one he naturally gravitates to and will voluntarily work harder at is "pushing it" from a parenting perspective IMO. My issue is some parents can't see when their kid "may not have it" yet tell their kids if you work harder than the others "you'll be better and should play" thus creating a disgruntled teammate in the locker room. Good motivation but it really only goes so far. 10-12 is the evaluation period to see what kids are more natural or should "specialize" in IMO.

[quote name="cougar14" post="1404881" timestamp="1368647360"]
[quote author=AthleticSupporter - Jock link=topic=111983.msg1404806#msg1404806 date=1368635302]
[/quote]First of all the parent has to be honest with themselves which is the majority of the problem with these issues. I have my three sons and two nephews I'm involved with. The oldest is 12 and will be entering middle school and only plays football and basketball. I'll tell you right now he's not a basketball player even though he's going to end up well over 6'. I make sure I clarify that to him also, not in a demeaning way but one in which he comprehends where he stands among other kids his age. My son will tell anybody who asks he's going to play football for LSU or UT and as he's gotten older he's just started to do things to show that. I constantly have to reprimand him for messing with the weights in the garage without  my supervision among other things. All that to say he knows football is his best opportunity to play sports beyond high school. My middle son and oldest nephew on the other hand are the kids that everything they touch they seem to be the best or very near the top at. My nephew's dad was once in the Jamaica national youth soccer program and my sister is 5'11" so to limit or "specialize" him in a certain sport before seeing which one he naturally gravitates to and will voluntarily work harder at is "pushing it" from a parenting perspective IMO. My issue is some parents can't see when their kid "may not have it" yet tell their kids if you work harder than the others "you'll be better and should play" thus creating a disgruntled teammate in the locker room. Good motivation but it really only goes so far. 10-12 is the evaluation period to see what kids are more natural or should "specialize" in IMO.
[/quote]

So Cougar14, are you saying that 12 is an OK age to start specializing in one sport?  Most 12 yr old boys haven't even started to really mature at that point.  That's young.

[quote name="AthleticSupporter - Jock" post="1404900" timestamp="1368650500"]
[quote author=cougar14 link=topic=111983.msg1404881#msg1404881 date=1368647360]
[quote author=AthleticSupporter - Jock link=topic=111983.msg1404806#msg1404806 date=1368635302]
[/quote]

So Cougar14,[b] are you saying that 12 is an OK age to start specializing in one sport?[/b]  Most 12 yr old boys haven't even started to really mature at that point.  That's young.
[/quote]I think so. My son kind of specialized his self. He'd rather go to football camps instead of play summer basketball now. You don't make him stop playing other sports because he's specializing in football but at 12 football starts to take precedence over other sports. Size isn't a determining factor for my boys so 12 is a good evaluation period for ME, if you have late bloomers you might have to wait longer. I think my boy could start to get his first camp invites his sophomore year so the earlier I can get him oiled up the better.   

I think it all depends on the athletes preferences. If he/she only enjoys playing one sport then playing other sports isn't going to be as helpful to them as it would to an athlete that enjoys playing many sports. Generally if an athlete isn't passionate about a particular sport they become less and less competitive in it as time goes on. I know of a few cases where that can even effect the athlete's competitive drive in the sports they actually enjoy. It's called burn out.

[quote name="cougar14" post="1404941" timestamp="1368657158"]
[quote author=AthleticSupporter - Jock link=topic=111983.msg1404900#msg1404900 date=1368650500]
[/quote]

So Cougar14,[b] are you saying that 12 is an OK age to start specializing in one sport?[/b]  Most 12 yr old boys haven't even started to really mature at that point.  That's young.
[/quote]I think so. My son kind of specialized his self. He'd rather go to football camps instead of play summer basketball now. You don't make him stop playing other sports because he's specializing in football but at 12 football starts to take precedence over other sports. Size isn't a determining factor for my boys so 12 is a good evaluation period for ME, if you have late bloomers you might have to wait longer. I think my boy could start to get his first camp invites his sophomore year so the earlier I can get him oiled up the better. 
[/quote]if your son is 12 im assuming he is in the 6th or 7th grade. You dont think its a little early to be saying he should be getting ask to invite camps when he is a sophmore.

[quote name="cougar14" post="1404881" timestamp="1368647360"]
[/quote] Sorry, 10-12 [color=red]IS NOT[/color] a good age for evaluation. You will see many kids excel in middle school based on one major factor; grade exceptions are rampant!!!

[quote name="bronco pride" post="1405113" timestamp="1368714883"]
[quote author=cougar14 link=topic=111983.msg1404941#msg1404941 date=1368657158]
[quote author=AthleticSupporter - Jock link=topic=111983.msg1404900#msg1404900 date=1368650500]
[/quote]

[/quote]if your son is 12 im assuming he is in the 6th or 7th grade. You dont think its a little early to be saying he should be getting ask to invite camps when he is a sophmore.
[/quote]Not at all. When i was in school we would have 7 on 7 tournaments with a little pre-combine type thing before it. Now you have numerous stand-alone combines so the 7 on 7 tournaments are football only most of the time now. 12 is not a good time to evaluate if you have late bloomers. Some kids have late growth spurts so it would be good to wait until their in high school. All my kids are big already though so I don't have that issue. I'm not one of those parents who hopes his kid will be good enough, my 6th grader is almost 6' tall and weighs nearly 160 lbs. I'm 6' and my dad is 6'3'' while my mom and wife are both about in the 5'9''-5'10'' range so I don't think he's maxed out. He wears a size 11 and his hands are already bigger than mine. Every football playing male in my family who graduated since 1976 has gotten a scholarship.  I want him to play receiver in Crosby's offense but he wants to play qb so we practice both. If anything i'm making him  practice receiver in case there's a kid who can beat him beat him out at qb. I don't make him only play football that's what he likes to do. My middle son is 7 and the most fierce competitor, to the point that I caught him gambling away his allowance to his big brother running 40 dashes they had marked off in the street. He only lost by a step and a half by the way when he was 6 and my oldest was 11. Last summer during the olympics a guy did the iron cross on the rings and he said that was nothing. He jumped up and scaled the archway and let goand my mouth fell open. When he was 3 he scaled the door jam barehanded and did pullups on his fingertips. Last year we were in the yard and I told him i could do a backflip 'cause he was scared to try so I did one. 15 minutes later while I was deciding if i should go to the local urgent care he came in and got me. Not only could he do it, but he could do it with no hands and do a bunch in a row with hands.  He weighs a little over 60lbs and can pick up the 45lb plates ihead high to put them on the bar, he also wins every event at their little field day. He knows once he gets to middle school daddy isn't going to still be running him all over the creation to do things like take private soccer lessons. 12 is the perfect age for me and mine because i don't belive in a kid playing sports to get a participation ribbon. You have the most fun when you win so that's how we work. I expect my oldest son to continue to be a prototype so predicting him getting camp invites as a sophomore isn't crazy at all, matter of fact most of the upper level kids attend camps as sophs.

*If anybody doesn't believe me with my 7 year old I can send the videos to bronco to put up. i have the video of the race i mentioned and him doing the iron cross in the archway at 6 years old.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin