Alto Head Coach Keith Gardner retires....

Just read where Alto Yellowjacket head football coach Keith Gardner retired. He spent the last 8 years at Alto and won 2 state championships while putting together an 80-20 record.

This is a great coaching opportunity for a proven or up and coming head coach. Alto is loaded for the upcoming season and should be one of the top teams in the state in 1A.

[quote name="Scatright" post="1397762" timestamp="1366860068"]
I don't care who they hire, as long as he's not currently employed at HD. [b]I'm looking forward to seeing them again in Rd 2[/b]. That butter taste still lingers.

All junk aside, congrats to Coack Gardner in a great career.
[/quote]

If Alto wins their district (as they should), they will go on the bottom side of the bracket in Region III along with Mart (assuming they win their district as well). HD wouldn't run into Alto or Mart until the regional final. Granted that's a LONG way away and anything can happen....

Coach Gardner is a legend, Alto will surely not improve with his departure. Alto will feel this in the form of a small minor set back. I see them finishing 2nd in District and seeing HD again. HD vs Alto will again be a barn burner. HD is loaded and this move by Gardner may just catapult HD past Alto. HD Nation!

I don't think Alto will be as good without Gardner as they would have been with him, so I do see somewhat of a setback. With that being said, I don't think that West Sabine will be able to beat Alto's talent, especially losing Lacy. West Sabine will be tough as nails and has plenty of play makers. San Augustine will be tough again, but they lost way too much talent to compete with Alto in my opinoin. I still think Alto wins that district even without Gardner. Alto vs. Teneha early on will be a great measuring stick because Teneha will be loaded again.

Hmmm, that's interesting.  I too think they will struggle without Gardner, but I still feel they will win their district.  Didn't realize that would help them avoid the Mighty Bobcats in the second round.  I, for one, would love a run to the regional round, then see them there.  However it happens, I want Alto, and I want to beat Alto.  I kinda think the boys feel the same way! I absolutley cannot wait until August!

[quote name="HDBobcats9" post="1397863" timestamp="1366902422"]
I don't think Alto will be as good without Gardner as they would have been with him, so I do see somewhat of a setback. With that being said, I don't think that West Sabine will be able to beat Alto's talent, especially losing Lacy. West Sabine will be tough as nails and has plenty of play makers. San Augustine will be tough again, but they lost way too much talent to compete with Alto in my opinoin. I still think Alto wins that district even without Gardner. Alto vs. Teneha early on will be a great measuring stick because Teneha will be loaded again.
[/quote]

Losing Lacey will hurt West Sabine, but you are right about them having plenty of playmakers especially on defense with the returning Defensive MVP in Cabral, and speed to burn on the outside on offense. And all the lines on both sides are back. San Augustine can't help but take a hit this year, being a 1A losing 19 or 20 seniors. Don't underestimate ANYONE in District 10 in 2013. A playoff match-up with the winner of District 11 would be a barnburner!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name="H-D BOBCAT 55" post="1397845" timestamp="1366901243"]
Coach Gardner is a legend, Alto will surely not improve with his departure. Alto will feel this in the form of a small minor set back. I see them finishing 2nd in District and seeing HD again. HD vs Alto will again be a barn burner. HD is loaded and this move by Gardner may just catapult HD past Alto. HD Nation!
[/quote]

You're crazy if you think we are going to take a step back with what we have returning.  Come back in late October and see how that "2nd in district" pick will turn out, West Sabine wont slow us down and SA sure wont.

[quote name="Scatright" post="1397872" timestamp="1366904267"]
Hmmm, that's interesting.  I too think they will struggle without Gardner, but I still feel they will win their district.  Didn't realize that would help them avoid the Mighty Bobcats in the second round.  I, for one, would love a run to the regional round, then see them there.  However it happens, I want Alto, and I want to beat Alto.  I kinda think the boys feel the same way! I absolutley cannot wait until August!
[/quote]

"help them avoid the Might Bobcats" by winning district , HA!  Maybe the other way around buddy, We beat HD once and we'll do it again on our way to Jerry World in 2013.  Their's a lotta teams that want to beat Alto but talking about it and actually doing it are 2 different things.  Put that in your book :P

[quote name="AltoJacketFan5" post="1399561" timestamp="1367370386"]
[quote author=Scatright link=topic=111390.msg1397872#msg1397872 date=1366904267]
[/quote]

"help them avoid the Might Bobcats" by winning district , HA!  Maybe the other way around buddy, We beat HD once and we'll do it again on our way to Jerry World in 2013.  Their's a lotta teams that want to beat Alto but talking about it and actually doing it are 2 different things.  Put that in your book :P
[/quote]

You obviously have a short memory.  1 more minute on that clock and HD continues to bash that football down Alto's throat on the way to a victory on that cold November afternoon in Lufkin.  The clock was the only reason we were throwing. It certainly wasn't that Jacket defense.  You guys made Chris Herman a star that day, and he has turned into a MAN during this offseason.  He and the rest of us will be back to look you in the eye, no matter what round it happens in.  Good luck...win as much as you can before the red and black ruins that trip to "Jerry World".

[quote name="Scatright" post="1399565" timestamp="1367372326"]
[quote author=AltoJacketFan5 link=topic=111390.msg1399561#msg1399561 date=1367370386]
[quote author=Scatright link=topic=111390.msg1397872#msg1397872 date=1366904267]
[/quote]

[/quote]

You obviously have a short memory.  1 more minute on that clock and HD continues to bash that football down Alto's throat on the way to a victory on that cold November afternoon in Lufkin.  The clock was the only reason we were throwing. It certainly wasn't that Jacket defense.  You guys made Chris Herman a star that day, and he has turned into a MAN during this offseason.  He and the rest of us will be back to look you in the eye, no matter what round it happens in.  Good luck...win as much as you can before the red and black ruins that trip to "Jerry World".
[/quote]

No short memory here , I clearly remember the better team winning and advancing, in fact, I remember us running basically the same 2/3 plays the entire game and never getting stopped.  Reality's a tough pill to swallow.

HD wins their district.  Alto wins their district.  HD vs SA will be a good game... could be similar to last year's HD vs. Alto.  I think HD advances this time.  None of this matters though when they get to Mart.  Region 3 will be the Mart show again

Reality is neither team was very good on defense...Alto proved that by not being able to consistently stop San Augustine, Hull-Daisetta or Mart.  Hull-Daisetta wasn't very good on defense either considering Alto moved the ball at will against you just as you did against them. 

Alto will be same ol' Alto next year.  In their district, San Augustine will be ALOT like what Alto was this past year (young but talented).  Don't count them out or underestimate them.  They play a tough non-district slate, but they will be plenty experienced by the time District play rolls around.  West Sabine has to find an identity on offense without Lacy.  Whether WS folks want to admit it or not, how Lacy went is how the game went more times than not.  Grapeland and Shelbyville are bound to be better with new coaching staffs.  Gonna be a fun district race.

[quote name="knows2much" post="1399606" timestamp="1367412814"]
HD wins their district.  Alto wins their district.  HD vs SA will be a good game... could be similar to last year's HD vs. Alto.  I think HD advances this time.  None of this matters though when they get to Mart.  Region 3 will be the Mart show again
[/quote]

Mart will be plenty good...but the seniors they did lose were all on a VERY good offensive line.  That was the difference in the ball game against San Augustine was the line play.  I'm sure they will be just fine but that will be something to watch.

[quote name="tigerheart" post="1399612" timestamp="1367413676"]
[quote author=knows2much link=topic=111390.msg1399606#msg1399606 date=1367412814]
[/quote]

Mart will be plenty good...but the seniors they did lose were all on a VERY good offensive line.  That was the difference in the ball game against San Augustine was the line play.  I'm sure they will be just fine but that will be something to watch.
[/quote]

Mart beat them 49-21.  I'm sure the line was part of the reason...but a score like that I don't think the line was the "difference"

Man, this is getting good already! HD will be ready come playoff time no matter who they face. Alto will be VERY GOOD regardless of who their head coach is. I do think that the players that Mart lost will hurt come playoff time. Cosby and Thomas are electric though and they are still the defending region III champs until someone knocks them off. Alto wins their district with West Sabine finishing second and SA coming in third with a young team. Mart will beat Bosqueville and Axtell and win district 12. This would put Alto and Mart on a collision course in the third round, the same place San Augustine ran into mart in 2012. I think HD beats WS in Rd 2 and rolls to regionals against the Mart/Alto winner (which i think will be Alto). I'm sure Joaquin, Timpson, Harleton, Carlisle and the folks from District 9 will have plenty to say about this as well.

My top teams going into the season:

1. Alto
2. Mart
3. HD
4. WS

[quote name="knows2much" post="1399606" timestamp="1367412814"]
[/quote]SA lost like 19 seniors. They will not challenge HD. HD would crush SA.

[quote name="H-D BOBCAT 55" post="1399627" timestamp="1367417235"]
[quote author=knows2much link=topic=111390.msg1399606#msg1399606 date=1367412814]
[/quote]SA lost like 19 seniors. They will not challenge HD. HD would crush SA.
[/quote]SA is much like Alto, Teneha, and say Garrison.  They lose players every year and reload.  I am not sure SA could beat HD this year but I guarantee you it wont be because HD has more athletically gifted and talented players across the field as a whole.  One thing I've learned over the past few decades of keeping up with East Texas football is that you NEVER count out the Alto/SA type teams, no matter who or how many they lose to graduation.

[quote name="H-D BOBCAT 55" post="1399757" timestamp="1367438906"]
SA does not have the winning tradition of Alto or HD. Yes, SA has been good recently.
[/quote]SA won the 2003 2A Div 1 State Championship!  When did HD win one last?  Nevermind, I just looked on the UIL website and it states that HD won it's ONLY state championship in football 34 years ago (1979) in class 1A.

[quote name="Uncle Si" post="1399773" timestamp="1367443188"]
[quote author=H-D BOBCAT 55 link=topic=111390.msg1399757#msg1399757 date=1367438906]
SA does not have the winning tradition of Alto or HD. Yes, SA has been good recently.
[/quote]SA won the 2003 2A Div 1 State Championship!  When did HD win one last?  Nevermind, I just looked on the UIL website and it states that HD won it's ONLY state championship in football 34 years ago (1979) in class 1A.
[/quote]Yes yall won a title in 2003. But look at your history, SA has won only 50% of it's games. Heck, in 2006 yall only had 1 win. In 2009 yall lost every game. lol. 2003 was earned and deserved, good job, it made folks quit laughing at your program.  ;)

[quote name="H-D BOBCAT 55" post="1399779" timestamp="1367445231"]
[quote author=Uncle Si link=topic=111390.msg1399773#msg1399773 date=1367443188]
[quote author=H-D BOBCAT 55 link=topic=111390.msg1399757#msg1399757 date=1367438906]
[/quote]Yes yall won a title in 2003. But look at your history, SA has won only 50% of it's games. Heck, in 2006 yall only had 1 win. In 2009 yall lost every game. lol. 2003 was earned and deserved, good job, it made folks quit laughing at your program.  ;)
[/quote]I'm not from SA.  All I am stating is that HD's sucessful seasons were laced throughout the late [b]1930's[/b] to the late [b]1970's[/b].  Any success OTHER than last season for HD was the result of pretty much always being in a weak district, usually one and done when they did make the playoffs during the 90's- 2000's.  I agree that SA is not really in the same class as Alto when it comes to being a consistently dominate ball club but IMO they are consistently better than HD. If HD had historically been placed in districts with teams the caliber of Alto, Garrison, Groveton, Corrigan Camden, SA, West Sabine, Joaquin, and Teneha then their win/loss record would not be what it is now and these are the teams that SA has grown up with in their districts throughout history.  West Sabine was in hog heaven the years that they were able to play in the southern district.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder