Is It Just Me, Or Do You NOT Miss the Astros on TV?

I'm glad you posted this. I have been thinking the same thing. I'm done with the Astros for now. I had hopes that Jim Crane would turn this team around and be a good owner for the baseball fans. So far, it appears that Mr Crane is going to milk this team and the fans. He can have it; without my support. While I do enjoy sports, my time on this earth is limited. I need to spend less time in front of the TV and more time doing things that matter. (Football season is different!) Without having the Astros on TV makes my course easier. To answer your question though, I do think it will hurt the fan base. Having a smaller presence on the radio hurts too. Without Milo calling the games I done even want to listen to the games either.

I do not miss them and ,not being on TV, will not hurt their fan base.  It will actually help their fan base.  Understand, the astros are in a complete rebuilding period.  They are going to be bad for some time to come.  By not being on TV, the astros fans will not have to watch bad baseball.  Then, in about 5 years, the astros will start competing again.  When this happens the TV contracts will return and all of the so-called astro fans can come back and say, "I've been an astros fan for ever.  Even when they sucked!!!"

[quote name="shovel" post="1393439" timestamp="1365690702"]
I'm glad you posted this. I have been thinking the same thing. I'm done with the Astros for now. I had hopes that Jim Crane would turn this team around and be a good owner for the baseball fans. So far, it appears that Mr Crane is going to milk this team and the fans. He can have it; without my support. While I do enjoy sports, my time on this earth is limited. I need to spend less time in front of the TV and more time doing things that matter. (Football season is different!) Without having the Astros on TV makes my course easier. To answer your question though, I do think it will hurt the fan base. Having a smaller presence on the radio hurts too. Without Milo calling the games I done even want to listen to the games either.
[/quote]
The TV thing is not an Astros problem, it's a cable provider problem...Go to every other market in America and CSN Sports is carried with no extra charges, but in Houston for some reason they want to hike up rates.

If you pay attention to the foundation of the future, which is the Minor Leagues, you would know that Crane has hired Lunhow and is getting it right.  The MILB teams as of today are 20-5 all four teams are in first place and many of the prospects that they received via trade or early MLB draft in the last three years are playing very well and producing some eye poping numbers so far this year. Most of those guys are a year or two from being in Houston. Remember these names: Springer, Cosart, Tropeano, Correa, Singleton, McCullers, Fontana, Deshields, Santana, Tucker, Velasquez, Zeid, Grossman.
Patience!

In the meantime the club is hot and cold. A lot of free swingers with big pop, but Porter has rained them in at the plate during the Seattle series and the patience has paid off big time the last few nights (8 HRs and 24 runs). I'd rather watch young talent develop and lose then old talent wither away and lose!

While I dont like the price hike for certain games or should I say opponents, I do like that Crane has changed the policy on bringing in your own food. Mclane raped this organization and this city and left us with what we have today because he didn't want to spend money on player development.

Good post guys. I agree and understand about rebuilding. I have an interest in the minor leagues and will probably follow them more than the Astros. Lets just say that I am disappointed in some the statements by Mr Crane and am not hopeful for the future. I've been an Astros fan since I was a kid. I got really mad when they threw away Nolan Ryan. I got madder when McLane left the dome and jacked up the prices on everything and parted out the team like a junk car. I'm not mad anymore; I just dont care. If and when they put together a winning ball club, I may or may not be back. Meanwhile, there are some kids in the lower tiers of the organization that I am pulling for. I just dont see myself spending my hard-earned money to make Mr Crane a richer man. I wont spend extra money with cable or satellite providers either. Everybody has a point where they say enough. I have reached that point.

I agree with what all of you have said.  I have found myself not paying attention much to the Astros this season.  I was checking scores the first few games.  Then they went on the West Coast road trip and started finishing games at 12:30-1 o'clock in the morning.  Even if they did have the games on TV, I don't know how many fans are going to stay up that late for AL West road games.  At least Crane got $50 mil for moving the team West. 

Also I don't hate the A's, Mariners, and Angels yet so maybe that has something to do with it.  I still hope the Cards, Cubs, and Reds lose every game though.

[quote name="PhatMack19" post="1395475" timestamp="1366238711"]
I agree with what all of you have said.  I have found myself not paying attention much to the Astros this season.  I was checking scores the first few games.  Then they went on the West Coast road trip and started finishing games at 12:30-1 o'clock in the morning.  Even if they did have the games on TV, I don't know how many fans are going to stay up that late for AL West road games.  At least Crane got $50 mil for moving the team West. 

Also I don't hate the A's, Mariners, and Angels yet so maybe that has something to do with it.  I still hope the Cards, Cubs, and Reds lose every game though.
[/quote]

After I made the original post, I found myself watching things other than baseball. I will catch a college game from time to time, but the weather has been so nice, I've been out and about.

• 3 weeks later...
I miss them on TV.  Ive been a fan since I was in little league back in the 70's.  I had an Astros cap on, at lunch, the day the Houston paper printed the tombstone and I got made fun of.  Remember how that year ended?  I just want to see some pitchers drafted.  Personally I'd rather watch a good college game than a pro game.  Last weekend I watched Vanderbilt play and saw Tyler Beede pitch for the first time.  That young man can pitch!  To me that is the kind of help the Astros need.  Not phenom shortstops.  This game totally revolves around who is standing on the bump!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder