Jasper's Cuney to UT

247sports.com

Jasper’s Terrell Cuney

By Randy Riggs

American-Statesman Staff

Terrell Cuney decided Saturday there was no time like the present to become the Texas Longhorns’ newest member of their 2014 football recruiting class.

In doing so, the Jasper product gives the Longhorns the nation’s top-ranked center in 2014 according to 247Sports.

Later Saturday, an even younger prospect also decided the time was now to cast his lot with Texas. Jalen Campbell, a cornerback from Corpus Christi Flour Bluff, pledged to become the Longhorns’ third commitment for 2015.

Cuney had held an offer from Texas since its second junior day on Feb. 23. In town Saturday to watch the Orange-White scrimmage as well as the final day of the Texas Relays, he decided to make official what he knew was inevitable.

“I just said, ‘It’s time.’ It was really that simple,” said the 6-foot, 3-inch, 258-pound Cuney. “I grew up like Texas. I’ve always liked them. I just felt like it was time for me to go ahead and (commit).

“I feel relieved,” added Cuney, who said he visited no other programs after Texas’ junior day. “I pretty much knew what I was going to do. Now I can just move on and know where I’m going to go to college. Now I can’t wait to get here.”

Cuney becomes the ninth prospect to give Texas a non-binding verbal pledge for 2014. He’s the second offensive lineman in the class, joining guard Demetrius Knox of All Saints Episcopal School in Fort Worth.

Cuney, ranked 29th on the 2014 American-Statesman Fabulous 55 as compiled by Hookem.com, the paper’s Internet partner, said he gave his pledge in coach Mack Brown’s office to Brown and several assistant coaches including offensive line coach Stacy Searels.

“They were excited,” Cuney said. “I think they kind of knew what I was going to do, but now it’s official.”

Now that he’s committed, Cuney said he knows what his priorities are.

“I just want to get bigger, stronger and faster so I can come in and play,” he said.

Campbell, listed at 5-9½ and 166 pounds, joins offensive guard Aaron Garza of Sherman and defensive tackle Bryce English of DeSoto as Texas pledges for 2015.

[quote name="shooter" post="1390468" timestamp="1364825702"]

247sports.com

Jasper’s Terrell Cuney

By Randy Riggs

American-Statesman Staff

Terrell Cuney decided Saturday there was no time like the present to become the Texas Longhorns’ newest member of their 2014 football recruiting class.

In doing so, the Jasper product gives the Longhorns the nation’s top-ranked center in 2014 according to 247Sports.

Later Saturday, an even younger prospect also decided the time was now to cast his lot with Texas. Jalen Campbell, a cornerback from Corpus Christi Flour Bluff, pledged to become the Longhorns’ third commitment for 2015.

Cuney had held an offer from Texas since its second junior day on Feb. 23. In town Saturday to watch the Orange-White scrimmage as well as the final day of the Texas Relays, he decided to make official what he knew was inevitable.

“I just said, ‘It’s time.’ It was really that simple,” said the 6-foot, 3-inch, 258-pound Cuney. “I grew up like Texas. I’ve always liked them. I just felt like it was time for me to go ahead and (commit).

“I feel relieved,” added Cuney, who said he visited no other programs after Texas’ junior day. “I pretty much knew what I was going to do. Now I can just move on and know where I’m going to go to college. Now I can’t wait to get here.”

Cuney becomes the ninth prospect to give Texas a non-binding verbal pledge for 2014. He’s the second offensive lineman in the class, joining guard Demetrius Knox of All Saints Episcopal School in Fort Worth.

Cuney, ranked 29th on the 2014 American-Statesman Fabulous 55 as compiled by Hookem.com, the paper’s Internet partner, said he gave his pledge in coach Mack Brown’s office to Brown and several assistant coaches including offensive line coach Stacy Searels.

“They were excited,” Cuney said. “I think they kind of knew what I was going to do, but now it’s official.”

Now that he’s committed, Cuney said he knows what his priorities are.

“I just want to get bigger, stronger and faster so I can come in and play,” he said.

Campbell, listed at 5-9½ and 166 pounds, joins offensive guard Aaron Garza of Sherman and defensive tackle Bryce English of DeSoto as Texas pledges for 2015.
[/quote]good pick up for Texas. Texas also picked up the best center in the country last year in Darius James. If James gains 10-15 lbs he could end up well over 330 and probably have to move to guard due to some loss of quickness. if that happens Cuney could play right after Espinoza, otherwise it's going to be a while. Texas is extremely talented on the interior line for a few more years. I've watched the film on James and Cuney and it's clear James is bigger and more powerful but Cuney has a little better leverage and range of motion. i think James could end up being as highly regarded as David Decastro though.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder