Congratulations to GT Shockers 2000 team for their 2nd place finish Texas Open

Thanks to the Stars Over Texas group for hosting a great tournament this weekend in Beaumont.  Our GT Shockers 2000 team battled all the way through the losers bracket on Sunday winning five games in a row.  We came up short in the championship game to the LA Starz but our girls showed guts and determination all day.

My daughter Cassidy hit her first home run against the Orange Crush 00 team in one of the games.  She has worked hard for the past three years and it was a joy to see her get to experience that.  I have a home run ball that I hit 37 years ago as a 13 year old.  Its dirty and was the ball that I hit over the fence.  It has the date July 17, 1977 on it.  The opposing coach gave it to my dad and said congratulations to your son.  The Orange Crush coach brought the ball to her at one of our follow up practices and presented it to her.  She now has two balls for her memory chest.  Our GT Shockers 2000 coaching staff gave her a ball and all the team signed it after the championship game ended. 

Go Shockers!

(story was amended based on recent events.  thanks again to Orange Crush coaches)

A kid only gets to have 1 first Homerun and for a coach to not give that kid the ball is a shame. That coach should be embarrassed of himself. To deny that kid the ball was wrong.  I know that coaches have different coaching styles and emotions can run high at times but you always give the kids the credit they deserve.      Congratulations to Cassidy on her Homerun and her team on doing so good in the tournament.

First off, Congrats on the Home run ! Hopefully there will be many more to come. Second, I appologize for the ball not being given to her after the home run. I wasn't there so I don't know what all happened or why it happened, but she will be getting the ball very shortly. I understand there is a very high competiveness between the Shockers and Crush but it shouldn't come at the expense of any of the kids involved regardless of who they are playing for. It took me several years to figure this out myself and hopefully others will as well. We should be in this to teach the game that we love and to get kids the exposure for college scholarships. Hopefully this won't happen again.

Once again congrats for the homerun and the ball will be arriving soon as I can get it.

Go Get 'Em John!

Congrats to Cassidy. My daughters first HR ball is in a glass case with dates and info on it.  Certainly wouldn't want to deny this oppourtunity to any one.  One of our girls hit her first at Ford into the brush and we searched for a good while for it. Felt bad that we couldn't find it, but it didn't diminish the accomplishment...She's gone on to hit quite a few so she probably doesn't miss it much!  ;D

[quote name="CRUSHCOACH" post="1388659" timestamp="1364231017"]
  First off, Congrats on the Home run ! Hopefully there will be many more to come. Second, I appologize for the ball not being given to her after the home run. I wasn't there so I don't know what all happened or why it happened, but she will be getting the ball very shortly. I understand there is a very high competiveness between the Shockers and Crush but it shouldn't come at the expense of any of the kids involved regardless of who they are playing for. It took me several years to figure this out myself and hopefully others will as well. We should be in this to teach the game that we love and to get kids the exposure for college scholarships. Hopefully this won't happen again.

Once again congrats for the homerun and the ball will be arriving soon as I can get it.
[/quote] Thanks John for doing the right thing. I knew that you would.  You and I have been doing this for a long time and I truly believe that you doing this for the kids. In the end it is all for the kids. THANKS FOR ALL YOU DO FOR OUR SOFTBALL COMMUNITY.

Just wanted to let everyone know that the Head coach of the Orange Crush team did stop by our practice today.  He brought the actual homerun ball and presented it to Cassidy.  All of the coaches, parents, and players clapped after the presentation.  It really took a lot of courage and integrity to do that and I appreciate him and the Orange Crush organization for presenting the ball to Cassidy today.  Thanks again to the Orange Crush organization.

[quote name="Hammersmith" post="1389173" timestamp="1364351719"]
Just wanted to let everyone know that the Head coach of the Orange Crush team did stop by our practice today.  He brought the actual homerun ball and presented it to Cassidy.  All of the coaches, parents, and players clapped after the presentation.  It really took a lot of courage and integrity to do that and I appreciate him and the Orange Crush organization for presenting the ball to Cassidy today.  Thanks again to the Orange Crush organization.
[/quote] Thanks, doing that means a lot to the kids and anyone involved.  This will now always be remembered as a postive experience. You have made difference in the right way. THANKS AGAIN 

• 1 month later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder