12-5A II. Playoff Situation

Bigdog

10 hours ago, Eagle82 said:

Well...I was really trying not to be a Homer with respect to BH.  Honestly, I would say BH is on the upper side of mediocre.  Until they eliminate these two or three good-drive-ending, big penalties a game, deep in the opponent’s territory; forcing the throws in the end zone resulting in interceptions, and these blasted unsportsmanlike penalties when we stop opponents on 3rd and long or these 4th down attempts; we’ll continue to be upper mediocre!  Just my opinion though!  I’ve bled Royal Blue / White for nearly 55 years and personally, I love this new district alignment - A LOT!

You wouldn’t have been a homer, we are far enough in the district now on who is great ball club, average ball club, and basketball season starting early ball club. What I keep saying repeatedly we will know a heck of a lot more about this district come 11pm on Friday. If Nederland, BH, and PNG all win which I expect them to do... next week BH PNG game is basically for number 1 or 2 seed a fighting chance at DC, a chance to have a home playoff game, it will have a playoff atmosphere to it. 

BH took Nederland to the final mins couple key mistakes game could have gone BH way just Nederland won the turnover margin and made less mistakes. They play 10 times they might split 5/5. The QB can sling that ball and the offense clicks well from what I could see. Defense was a little suspect, with going to zone and throwing underneath. But they tackled well flew to the ball. BH will make noise.

36 minutes ago, Mytwocents3788 said:

Man looking at the 0-4 for vidor looks terrible. Totally misleading. I mean looking at it, minus bh we were single digits away from Crosby png and Sante fe. Close close games. I hate that the 0-4 looks so bad for those boys.

I have a soft spot for Vidor this year. I tend to root for them, but goodness -- This season has been tough, and they have been tough. They are a better team than their record. I'd almost like to see a playoff with every single team in the state (completely ridiculous, I know), just for the chance to get a real idea of how the non-playoff teams from various districts match up.

Or, do a consolation playoff featuring the 5th place teams from every district. See who is the best of the rest.  I think Vidor would do ok in most districts, this year. I'm not saying they would be world beaters, just that they might have more success. 

14 hours ago, Rez Ipsa said:

I have a soft spot for Vidor this year. I tend to root for them, but goodness -- This season has been tough, and they have been tough. They are a better team than their record. I'd almost like to see a playoff with every single team in the state (completely ridiculous, I know), just for the chance to get a real idea of how the non-playoff teams from various districts match up.

Or, do a consolation playoff featuring the 5th place teams from every district. See who is the best of the rest.  I think Vidor would do ok in most districts, this year. I'm not saying they would be world beaters, just that they might have more success. 

Only problem with this 5th place teams consolation is you are still not to Vidor  in the standings

On 10/22/2018 at 2:20 PM, Rez Ipsa said:

I agree with the "more evenly matched" position. Looking at it from the PNG perspective: In the old district, we had (give or take the year) Livingston, Lumberton, Baytown Lee, Goose Creek Memorial, and Ozen. These tended to be predictable wins, most years, for PNG. When LCM was in the district, we ALMOST always beat them. Livingston, Lumberton, and Ozen were barely big enough to even be in our district, and are now in the lower classification. Throw in Vidor being a win for PNG in the vast majority of our matchups, and we end up with most district games in the old district being relatively easy wins for PNG.

Some years it was different. Livingston took us to the woodshed in 2011. Vidor got us in 2012. So I'm not saying every year was the same, or that these teams were pushovers. I'm just saying PNG tended to take care of business against most teams in our district, and the scores were often quite lopsided. Then we'd get to the playoffs get hit in the mouth.

In recent years, the mostly respectable teams in our district were Central, Nederland, and PNG, and those teams were more or less guaranteed to make the playoffs. The two years Memorial was in the district were great years, in my opinion, because it increased the competition so much. We no longer had to wait until the playoffs to face playoff competition. Memorial made us better.

Now the district has so much parity. It's a good thing. Yeah, PNG has had to play close games, and we've given up so many points. But the district isn't a cakewalk anymore. Instead of having four-to-five opponents being predictable wins for PNG, none of the games are. It makes it tough for teams to make the playoffs and that meat grinder will help us in the playoffs. Prediction: District 12-5a II will represent well in the playoffs. We're going to have some deep runs out of this district. 

In those years, I never understood why we didn't play a tougher pre-district schedule. I personally think we should have WO-S on the schedule every year. We may lose to them four out of five times, but we're always going to be better for the loss.

On 10/20/2018 at 11:25 PM, bigdog said:

Updated for Week 9

District      Overall

Nederland.      5-0           8-0

PNG.               5-0           6-2

Barbers Hill     4-1           5-2

Santa Fe         3-2           4-4

Crosby            2-3           5-2

Lee                 1-4           3-5

Vidor               0-5          3-5

Dayton            0-5          0-8

(Games remaining:)

Nederland:  (Crosby, PNG.) Nederland has clinched a playoff spot. DC race will come down to MCM if Ned beats Crosby and PNG beats BH.

PNG:   (BH, Ned) PNG can win a DC or finish 3rd depending on the next two games. MCM will be huge depending on what happens the next 2 weeks.  They have clinched a playoff spot.

Barbers Hill: (PNG, Santa Fe.) clinched a playoff spot. They are playing for the 2nd to 4th seed.Ned has the heads up win on them .

Santa Fe:  ( Dayton, BH.)  They have a playoff spot, but can get a seed as high as third. Ned and PNG have the heads up wins vs them.

Crosby:  (Ned, Lee.) Crosby is out of the playoffs.  BH, PNG and SF already have heads up wins vs them.  They can’t catch Ned even if they win next week.

Vidor:  ( Lee, Dayton.)  Out of the playoffs.

Baytown Lee:  (Vidor,Crosby. )  Out of the playoffs.

Dayton:  (SF and Vidor. ) Out of the playoffs.

Double Checking your standings:

4.  Santa Fe 3-2

5.  Crosby 2-3

Crosby wins out- finishes 4-3

Santa Fe loses out- finishes 3-4

Crosby goes?

19 minutes ago, FrodoNDN said:

Anybody have the bidistrict possibilities? I know it is early...

11-5AII still has a couple of games tomorrow afternoon, but assuming Houston Northside wins tomorrow against Sharpstown, the standings would be:

1. FB Marshall

2. Manvel/FB Willowridge winner

3. Manvel/FB Willowridge loser

4. Houston Northside, Houston Sterling, or Houston Madison

Manvel and FB Willowridge play next Saturday.

Northside's remaining schedule after tomorrow: at FB Marshall, bye week

Sterling's remaining schedule: bye week, vs FB Willowridge

Madison's remaining schedule: vs Waltrip (tomorrow), at Sharpstown, vs FB Marshall

20 minutes ago, Footballfan1209 said:

Alright big dog what’s the new shake up look like, I enjoy reading your breakdowns 

I updated it last night after the games it should be correct.   Basically the playoffs teams are set with the exception of Santa Fe and Crosby they are just fighting for seeding now.

25 minutes ago, Loyal Ranger said:

Barbers hill only played nine games this year? The overall record says 5-2 with two to play. What happened was a game cancelled or something? 

Whoops.  That’s what is get for doing this on a phone.   It’s fixed.