Kirbyville and Newton No longer playing

rykerx144

7 hours ago, WildcatBacker said:

If you think it was a cowardly move then you are very ignorant when it comes to football. Kirbyville and Newton are in two VERY different places right now. Newton needs to be scheduling tougher opponents than what Kirbyville can offer at the moment, and Kirbyville needs to rebuild. So nothing could really be gained by either team by playing in the next couple of years. So move on oh ignorant one. Leave the real football talk for the grown ups who are above doing nothing more than stirring the pot.

Excellent post.

3 hours ago, Tigers2010 said:

Why would Newton even want this game, at least for the next two years. Kirbyville is awful and won't be much better in the short term? It won't prepare Newton at all. They got the better end of the schedule anyway, if they are really picking up WOS.

What is the point of wanting to play a team you know you will beat the breaks off of?

$$$$$.....15 miles

3 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

When I hear folks ragging on Coach Doughty for not playing Newton for the next couple of years, I am reminded of this article this summer from the Enterprise:

This is the hidden content, please

And specifically this passage:

"Newton head football coach

This is the hidden content, please
admits he avoided playing West Orange-Stark last year.

'I didn't want to play against (senior quarterback) Jack Dallas again,' said Johnston, whose team lost to West Orange-Stark by 42 points in 2015. "That's probably the only time we've ever turned down a game.'"

good article!

this decision has nothing to do with whats is better for either program,  This game was never about the wins or loses, it was more about the communities.  This was never a game of rivals where there was fights and bad blood like most rivals.  These kids know each other, they are friends and most family.  I would bet that several of the Newton players live within a few miles of Kirbyville because of the way the districts are drawn.  Some years it was just a scrimmage but that never mattered.  This decision has everything to do with a outside coach that...well out of respect to the rules of this site I will not finish that statement.  I have been told by two different people close to the program that this decision had more to do with him wanting to separate as much as he can from the old regime (Alvarez and Neece era).  I have news for you Coach.  That old regime had a 85% winning record, at least 2 rounds and 3 most years, and two State Championship appearances!  Now we are ending traditions and resorted to looking for 1 and 2a  schools to pad our record.  There may be a few that do not mind this and even more that just seem onboard because they are not wiling to speak up but make no mistake,  this community supports those boys that work so hard every year and wants what Is best for them and our Wildcat program and that is a not just a winning record but a respected competitive program ( and the old regime understood that!!)  

6 minutes ago, rykerx144 said:

this decision has nothing to do with whats is better for either program,  This game was never about the wins or loses, it was more about the communities.  This was never a game of rivals where there was fights and bad blood like most rivals.  These kids know each other, they are friends and most family.  I would bet that several of the Newton players live within a few miles of Kirbyville because of the way the districts are drawn.  Some years it was just a scrimmage but that never mattered.  This decision has everything to do with a outside coach that...well out of respect to the rules of this site I will not finish that statement.  I have been told by two different people close to the program that this decision had more to do with him wanting to separate as much as he can from the old regime (Alvarez and Neece era).  I have news for you Coach.  That old regime had a 85% winning record, at least 2 rounds and 3 most years, and two State Championship appearances!  Now we are ending traditions and resorted to looking for 1 and 2a  schools to pad our record.  There may be a few that do not mind this and even more that just seem onboard because they are not wiling to speak up but make no mistake,  this community supports those boys that work so hard every year and wants what Is best for them and our Wildcat program and that is a not just a winning record but a respected competitive program ( and the old regime understood that!!)  

I do not think this will be permanent. Coaches come and go, true rivalries last forever.

18 minutes ago, rykerx144 said:

Have they scheduled any 1A games? I saw the San Augustine game but they're no regular lil ole 2A. It really doesnt make a bit of sense for either team to play each other. Neither make any sort of gain from it and how awful would I feel as a coach of Newton to have one of my kids get injured in a game against K-ville were we knew we'd win by 40+. Coaches are judged by win-loss, and you can't argue that one bit, I'm sorry...so scheduling this game would be senseless. Just my 2cents ;)

this post has more to do with the situation rather than just this one game.  I would rather lose to Newton by 40 rather than beat some 2a by 40.   Kids get hurt in football, that's part of it!  They are a smaller 3a, its not like we are talking a bigger 5a school we have no business playing.  If we are going to resort to not plaiying another 3a school because we are scared of them...why even play?   geez