*Nederland at Beaumont Ozen Updates*/Nederland wins 50-45 in OT!!!

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1370622" timestamp="1360166732"]
[quote author=Yeoj link=topic=108974.msg1370615#msg1370615 date=1360166006]
[quote author=Bulldog10 link=topic=108974.msg1370359#msg1370359 date=1360118739]
That why I couldn'tmake it.... Nederland always plays 8 on 5 there
[/quote]

Just like when teams play 8 on 5 in Nederland.
[/quote]The refs in both meetings were from the College Station chapter. So if you are insinuating home town cooking, then fish elsewhere. 2 of the refs officiated both games. The 3rd ref mentioned from last night did everything in his power to enable an advantage for the Panthers. If you weren't there, then you wouldn't understand. Ozen fans sitting near the Ned fans were laughing about his calls bc they were so blatantly obvious.
[/quote]
This ref came in during JV game walked in front of Ned stands and a group of Ozen fans sitting courtside and he greeted each of them!! Most flat out biased ref I have seen in a long time.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1370657" timestamp="1360169401"]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=108974.msg1370643#msg1370643 date=1360168792]
[color=red][font=verdana][size=18pt]20-4A District Champs 2010-2012
Bi-District Champs 2010-2012
Area Champs 2010-2012
Regional Quarter Finalist 2010-2012
Regional Semi-Finalist 2011[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote] :'(

Tis worse to toil and win district and lose in the 1st round playoffs

Thou would rather come in 2nd or 3rd in thou's district to reach Austin  ;D
[/quote]Who wouldn't?? The win last night was huge for us as a confidence builder. An Ozen win last night would've had a lasting affect on Ned's mentality and confidence going into the playoffs against Crosby or Humble.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1370669" timestamp="1360169795"]
Which ref? The bigger one? If so, he shook hands with everybody at the start of the game, or at least tried to. He tried shaking hands with the kid in the tie (bookkeeper?), but the kid didn't see the ref extend his hand to him.
[/quote]He'a talking about shaking hands with Ozen fans. One of them happens to be a Bmt. Chapter ref sitting in the front row across from scorer's table. He had a conversation with him in passing.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1370669" timestamp="1360169795"]
Which ref? The bigger one? If so, he shook hands with everybody at the start of the game, or at least tried to. He tried shaking hands with the kid in the tie (bookkeeper?), but the kid didn't see the ref extend his hand to him.
[/quote]
Yes the tall one. I'm talking about him mingling with the Ozen fans like he knew every one of them. Same ref that gave coach E a tech in our 1st game against Ozen. Maybe he's just mad coach E wouldn't agree to a local chapter and he had to drive all the way from college station. Regardless, horrible ref.

[quote name="5 on 5" post="1370676" timestamp="1360170422"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=108974.msg1370669#msg1370669 date=1360169795]
[/quote]
Yes the tall one. I'm talking about him mingling with the Ozen fans like he knew every one of them. Same ref that gave coach E a tech in our 1st game against Ozen. [b]Maybe he's just mad coach E wouldn't agree to a local chapter and he had to drive all the way from college station. [/b]Regardless, horrible ref.
[/quote]

The officials did not "have" to come to Beaumont. They could have very easily turned the game down. Those guys get paid for the mileage so that is not an issue.

A lot of the officials across the state know each other so seeing one greet another in the stands is no big deal.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1370679" timestamp="1360170749"]
The same guy gave an Ozen coach a warning too.  ;)

I've seen that guy ref on several occasions in Houston. He's a good ref as long as you don't get on his bad side.
[/quote]Seriously?? If you get on a ref's bad side that mean its ok to call a biased game? ???

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1370680" timestamp="1360170807"]
[quote author=5 on 5 link=topic=108974.msg1370676#msg1370676 date=1360170422]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=108974.msg1370669#msg1370669 date=1360169795]
[/quote]
Yes the tall one. I'm talking about him mingling with the Ozen fans like he knew every one of them. Same ref that gave coach E a tech in our 1st game against Ozen. [b]Maybe he's just mad coach E wouldn't agree to a local chapter and he had to drive all the way from college station. [/b]Regardless, horrible ref.
[/quote]

The officials did not "have" to come to Beaumont. They could have very easily turned the game down. Those guys get paid for the mileage so that is not an issue.

A lot of the officials across the state know each other so seeing one greet another in the stands is no big deal.
[/quote]Is it also the norm to shake hands and talk to fans who are not officials? It was apparent that he knew other fans than just that one ref.

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1370686" timestamp="1360171423"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=108974.msg1370680#msg1370680 date=1360170807]
[quote author=5 on 5 link=topic=108974.msg1370676#msg1370676 date=1360170422]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]Is it also the norm to shake hands and talk to fans who are not officials? It was apparent that he knew other fans than just that one ref.
[/quote]

See my last post.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1370683" timestamp="1360171301"]
BTW, if the tall official is the same College Station chapter official that officiated the HJ/Silsbee game at Ford Arena, then I can understand why he greeted and chatted with some fans at the game. He is from this area.
[/quote]
Well there you have it!!

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1370683" timestamp="1360171301"]
BTW, if the tall official is the same College Station chapter official that officiated the HJ/Silsbee game at Ford Arena, then I can understand why he greeted and chatted with some fans at the game. He is from this area.
[/quote]Bingo! That explains it all then and confirms our suspicions of his biased officiating last night (not in a Silsbee/HJ game or a Houston area game), last night.

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1370605" timestamp="1360164724"]
[quote author=team first link=topic=108974.msg1370602#msg1370602 date=1360164246]
i think the better statement would be its not the same nederland.

[/quote]
I agree 100%...Nederland is not the same either, thanks to the leader of that program, BUT...The fact that Ozen no longer has the same championship swagger is more apparent...it's not an EMBARRASSING loss, but it's just not the same. You think PA Lincoln would EVER lose to Nederland? It just was not happening. That's how that program was built, and although it was not the same in the end, they still beat who they were EXPECTED to beat. I mean close games with PNG?? That's not suppose to happen at Ozen, but it's just not the same Ozen.
[/quote]

You are right- its not the same Ozen.  The talent is spread across Beaumont now instead of the majority of basketball players going to Ozen as they once did.  You keep mentioning things such as "do you think PA Lincoln would EVER lose to Nederland?  A few years ago, you could have also asked "do you think Ozen would EVER lose to Vidor" and we now know the answer.

I was obviously not at the game last night so I cannot comment on if the officiating was bias or not.

I can say this. I have been to many a basketball game in this area where games were officiated by either the local TASO or UIL Chapters. I have seen officials from both chapters greet and talk to fans before and even sometimes during the game. Because these guys know some of the people in attendance and acknowledge and speak with them cordially, does that mean those guys will call a bias game? I don't think so.

Like I said, wasn't at the game last night, so I really do not know. But I think you guys are making the "conversing with the fans" a mountain out of a mole hill.

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1370697" timestamp="1360172816"]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=108974.msg1370605#msg1370605 date=1360164724]
[quote author=team first link=topic=108974.msg1370602#msg1370602 date=1360164246]

[/quote]
I agree 100%...Nederland is not the same either, thanks to the leader of that program, BUT...The fact that Ozen no longer has the same championship swagger is more apparent...it's not an EMBARRASSING loss, but it's just not the same. You think PA Lincoln would EVER lose to Nederland? It just was not happening. That's how that program was built, and although it was not the same in the end, they still beat who they were EXPECTED to beat. I mean close games with PNG?? That's not suppose to happen at Ozen, but it's just not the same Ozen.
[/quote]

You are right- its not the same Ozen.  The talent is spread across Beaumont now instead of the majority of basketball players going to Ozen as they once did.  You keep mentioning things such as "do you think PA Lincoln would EVER lose to Nederland?  A few years ago, you could have also asked "do you think Ozen would EVER lose to Vidor" and we now know the answer.
[/quote]
Dickie V just likes to live in the past. Reality is just too hard to accept sometimes.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1370699" timestamp="1360173083"]
I was obviously not at the game last night so I cannot comment on if the officiating was bias or not.

I can say this. I have been to many a basketball game in this area where games were officiated by either the local TASO or UIL Chapters. I have seen officials from both chapters greet and talk to fans before and even sometimes during the game. Because these guys know some of the people in attendance and acknowledge and speak with them cordially, does that mean those guys will call a bias game? I don't think so.

Like I said, wasn't at the game last night, so I really do not know. But I think you guys are making the "conversing with the fans" a mountain out of a mole hill.
[/quote]
You obviously weren't at the game. Some refs just can't let go of the "friendships" once the game starts. It is what it is.

[quote name="5 on 5" post="1370701" timestamp="1360173194"]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=108974.msg1370697#msg1370697 date=1360172816]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=108974.msg1370605#msg1370605 date=1360164724]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Dickie V just likes to live in the past. Reality is just too hard to accept sometimes.
[/quote]

Why isn't memorial better than what it is.....  instead of just lincoln area players you have the whole port arthur area now including SFA area and TJ area.....

Ozen....i believe his name is Kendrick Perkins.....so i wonder why they dominated so many years.......yes they had other Div 1 talent on Ozen teams, but lets not get confused....its hard to Guard a 6'10' nba big man with a guy that is 6'5"

I have no problem with refs talking to fans from one team or another before games...fact is, these guys know many people who attend games and the fact that they talk to them does not indicate to me that they are bias one way or another...most officials are professional enough to seperate the two.

As for last night, I did not find the officiating to be blatantly horrible or bias...I do think the travelling call agaist Nederland late in the game after an Ozen miss was pretty bad...easy to travel when you are being tackled...there was also a pretty blatant missed called as English tried to post up and was run over as the entry pass came in, both at key times...I will admit that I am a Nederland fan and my eye is likely biased toward watching those calls...I am sure Ozen likely feels that they had some calls go against them...my point is this...I don't think the officiating determined the outcome of the game (and it shouldn't)...very rarely does it.

I also agree that Lorimer stepped up in a big way last night that doesn't necessarily show up in the box score...Nederland has to have someone besides Weisbrod and English contribute in a big way in order to win these type games...last night, it was Lorimer, plus a pretty good team defensive effort...they forced Ozen into taking difficult shots for the most part and it worked out.

Dove, your son is quite the player...I continue to be very impressed with his play...he is one of those kids who is going to get his points, you just have to be sure that he has to work hard to get them.

[quote name="Razor" post="1370712" timestamp="1360173952"]
I have no problem with refs talking to fans from one team or another before games...fact is, these guys know many people who attend games and the fact that they talk to them does not indicate to me that they are bias one way or another...most officials are professional enough to seperate the two.

As for last night, I did not find the officiating to be blatantly horrible or bias...I do think the travelling call agaist Nederland late in the game after an Ozen miss was pretty bad...easy to travel when you are being tackled...there was also a pretty blatant missed called as English tried to post up and was run over as the entry pass came in, both at key times...I will admit that I am a Nederland fan and my eye is likely biased toward watching those calls...I am sure Ozen likely feels that they had some calls go against them...my point is this...I don't think the officiating determined the outcome of the game (and it shouldn't)...very rarely does it.

I also agree that Lorimer stepped up in a big way last night that doesn't necessarily show up in the box score...Nederland has to have someone besides Weisbrod and English contribute in a big way in order to win these type games...last night, it was Lorimer, plus a pretty good team defensive effort...they forced Ozen into taking difficult shots for the most part and it worked out.

Dove, your son is quite the player...I continue to be very impressed with his play...he is one of those kids who is going to get his points, you just have to be sure that he has to work hard to get them.
[/quote]Great Post Razor! Refs are gonna miss calls, no doubt. With those bad calls in crucial situations, that easily COULD have determined the outcome. Fortunately our kids fought hard through those bad calls and still won with focus and determination.

Points don't always show who had the most impact in a game. Lorimier was huge last night and (as you mentioned) the overall team effort on defense.

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1370697" timestamp="1360172816"]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]Same can be said in all sports at all levels. It's cyclical. Duke, NC, Kentucky are usually elite teams. Sometimes they are not as good bc of different reasons. Sometimes it's talent, sometimes it's team chemistry. This year Kentucky is 'down'.
I remember the days when aTm basketball was at the bottom year in/year out. Then a new coach, new scheme, and they start winning. Then another coach comes in and they are not so good. Now they are decent again. It's only natural. Same can be said for Baylor FB and BBall. DV just has can't accept change. Funny bc on the political board he was all about 'CHANGE'!! ;D ;D