Lets break this swing down.

Sportsman, your correct. Terminolgy does muddy the water at times. I like Hanks swing as well. Here is a clip of him swinging......

Hank1.gif

Now every coach you know would spend all their time trying to make Hank keep his back foot stuck to the ground and would have ended his career if they had been successful.

www.builder.hittingillustrated.com/Pro/Hankbp.mpg

This is a clip of him in batting practice before a game.

www.builder.hittingillustrated.com/Pro/Hankinout.mov

Swingbuilder,

You make a post and ask a question.  You choose not to answer it yourself for several days.  Finally a couple of people answer your question and you blast them.  If you knew what the answer was you should have just answered it up front.  Unless you were just asking it so you could rip some unexpecting participant, in that case congratulations mission accomplished.

not the case at all espn.

I was just asking anyone to tell me what they see. I wasn't ripping anyone. Sorry if you or anyone took it that way. What about you espn, How do you see it?

In fact, look back at the start of the thread. I didn't ask anything. Just posted a link to a swing clip. The thread heading was "Lets break this swing down".

OK.  I will give you my thoughts, though I doubt you will hold them in high regard.

You spend your young life in a local area listening to local guys argue over different aspects of the swing.  They sight examples of guys that will help them sell their style of hitting to the player.  Both guys teaching two different things are using the same big league hitters as examples.  So you go out looking for answers.  Go to colleges, clinics, whatever forums you can find and listen to all the experts.  You sit in one room and you have an expert showing you slow motion footage of guys like Bonds, Griffey, Pujols, Giambi and others refering to them as front side hitters. (back foot leaves the ground or slides forward or so forth) Then you go to another expert and they have slow motion footage of the same hitters and are refering to them as back foot hitters. (head stays still, back foot doesn't move forward) Both swings resulting in a homerun.  I don't have the time to go find all of the examples that I am speaking of, but I promise you they are out there.

This is off topic and I am certain will lesson your opinion of my thoughts but:

I have wondered for years how practical it is to look at guys who are 6'5'', 230lbs and can bench press the gym and compare those to the average highschool kid.  Being generous 5'9'', 160lbs, lucky to bench more than their own body weight. 

I wonder about A-Rod.  Maybe the best player we will ever see in our lifetime.  Is this because he has a great swing.  Or do we say he has a great swing because he is the greatest player we may ever see.  And being such a great player can get away with a very comlicated swing.  A-Rod goes through a slump he still hits .280 for the month with 8 homers and is simply an allstar instead of the MVP.  A highschool kid tries to sort out a slump with that complicated swing and he hits .180 for the season.

espn....good points. I only know this......

Big League hitters (when using quicktime player) are between 4 and 5 frames to contact at heel plant at 30 FPS or 8 to 11 at 60 FPS (FPS = frames per sec). It should be the goal of all amatuer players to try and get their swings quick without compromising bat speed. So the way to combat the situation that you presented is to get to the bottom line. How many frames to contact are their students. The coaches that can get their hitters to 4-5 frames or even 6 frames to contact would be the best instructors.

It doesn't matter about size. 6'6 or 5'10. The bottom line should be "How many frames to contact". Use a guy that is similar to your size and copy his stroke. As long as he is 4-5 frames to contact.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder