**#2 HARDIN-JEFFERSON vs. #3 SILSBEE @ Ford Park/SILSBEE WINS 81-76!!

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Gucci" post="1364041" timestamp="1358342946"]
First time in a loonnngggg time I've witnessed Silsbee flat out punk HJ. It's like they slapped HJ and dared them to swing back. Silsbee is twice as good as Hj this year so don't let that comeback fool ya. It'll be another 10yrs before Hj beat Silsbee again in Basketball on the Varsity level. Silsbee farm system is loaded....lol
[/quote]

10 years???  This might be the most assinine statement I have heard.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1364048" timestamp="1358344517"]
That was probably a good loss for HJ. From a playoff point of view, [b]getting 2nd in district  may be a good place in the scheme of things  ;)[/b]
[/quote]

Well, currently HJ sits in the 3rd place spot. 21-3A 3rd place plays "you-know-who" in the 2nd round of the playoffs. ;)

First time in a loonnngggg time I've witnessed Silsbee flat out punk HJ. It's like they slapped HJ and dared them to swing back. Silsbee is twice as good as Hj this year so don't let that comeback fool ya. It'll be another 10yrs before Hj beat Silsbee again in Basketball on the Varsity level. Silsbee farm system is loaded....lol
[/quote]

Silsbee's farm system is loaded?????? The HJ freshman beat Silsbee Freshman by 40

I have said it once ( and got hammered by HJ fans and probably will gt hammered again) but you cant run that press against every team, especially a very athletic team like Silsbee. Silsbee destroyed that press majority of the game. until HJ get physical with these athletic teams they will play, its nothing Coach Sutherland will be able to do from the sideline. They got out powered for 3 quarters.

From what I saw HJ did not protect the ball, did not move the ball like they usually do. (Zjori was wide open in the corner many times and did not get the ball). HJ did not rebound well even when we had the bigger team on the floor. Silsbee cut through the lane to the basket with very little problems. Silsbee played more physical in 3 of the 4 quarters. All in all Silsbee out played HJ and deserved the win.

Also would like to point out it was a great atmosphere and HJ and Silsbee fans both got their money's worth and both sides of the team and fans were stellar in their sportsmanship. Looking forward to round 2

A couple of firsts for me last night. First time I have ever seen any Silsbee team give up 37 points in one quarter. Also was the first time I have ever witnessed an HJ team never have a lead at any time during the game. After the 8-0 start for Silsbee (a lead that eventually hit 23 in the 3rd Q), the closest HJ got to Silsbee was 4 points with 7 seconds left in game (80-76).

Silsbee has to stop squandering these big leads. Will eventually comeback to bite them.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1364058" timestamp="1358345999"]
A couple of firsts for me last night. First time I have ever seen any Silsbee team give up 37 points in one quarter. Also was the first time I have ever witnessed an HJ team never have a lead at any time during the game. After the 8-0 start for Silsbee (a lead that eventually hit 23 in the 3rd Q), the closest HJ got to Silsbee was 4 points with 7 seconds left in game (80-76).

[b]Silsbee has to stop squandering these big leads[/b]. Will eventually comeback to bite them.
[/quote]Exactly. If the scoreboard went blank in the 4th Q., you would have thought HJ had the lead and Silsbee was playing catchup. Lots of rushed and forced shots. Other than that, they played a [b]very [/b] good game.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1364054" timestamp="1358345129"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=108282.msg1364048#msg1364048 date=1358344517]
That was probably a good loss for HJ. From a playoff point of view, [b]getting 2nd in district  may be a good place in the scheme of things  ;)[/b]
[/quote]

Well, currently HJ sits in the 3rd place spot. 21-3A 3rd place plays "you-know-who" in the 2nd round of the playoffs. ;)
[/quote] :o

[/quote]

10 years?  How did you come up with that figure?  Are you sure it isnt 8 years or perhaps 13 years?

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1364054" timestamp="1358345129"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=108282.msg1364048#msg1364048 date=1358344517]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Lol! Maybe the plan is backfiring. That 2nd matchup against WO-S is going to be crucial.  ;)

The Tigers did a lot of favors for HJ in that last quarter.  Granted increased intensity by HJ was a cause in some of it. Poor decisions on the Tigers part played a big part as well.  Several senseless fouls sending Hj to the line and way too many short offensive possessions as well as a loss of defensive intensity.

[quote name="MoFo" post="1364057" timestamp="1358345815"]
From what I saw HJ did not protect the ball, did not move the ball like they usually do. (Zjori was wide open in the corner many times and did not get the ball). HJ did not rebound well even when we had the bigger team on the floor. Silsbee cut through the lane to the basket with very little problems. Silsbee played more physical in 3 of the 4 quarters. All in all Silsbee out played HJ and deserved the win.

[b]Also would like to point out it was a great atmosphere and HJ and Silsbee fans both got their money's worth and both sides of the team and fans were stellar in their sportsmanship. Looking forward to round 2[/b]
[/quote]

Great game to watch. Congrats to the Tigers on a well deserved victory despite a valiant effort by the Hawks with a 37 point 4th Qtr. The rivalry game was like most of them, GREAT!. Both teams played well at different times. I cant wait for HARDIN COUNTY HAVOC round II. Should make it interesting. To my Hawks, now you know what it takes so lets get it done.

[quote name="ST413" post="1364083" timestamp="1358349081"]
The Tigers did a lot of favors for HJ in that last quarter.  Granted increased intensity by HJ was a cause in some of it. Poor decisions on the Tigers part played a big part as well.  Several senseless fouls sending Hj to the line and way too many short offensive possessions as well as a loss of defensive intensity.
[/quote]

I thought the game was called fair, in fact it was really good. I think that they let a lot of contact go in the first half for BOTH teams and tightened up in the second half on BOTH teams. But I could make the same comment that you did and say, we made poor decisions in the first half that it wasn't your pressure, and that we did a lot of "favors" for the tigers. But we both know how momentum works.

[quote name="ST413" post="1364083" timestamp="1358349081"]
[/quote]

Some would consider that forcing a 50% free throw shooting team to the line to be a good strategy, particularly is they are beginning to shoot better from the field.  Silsbee earned what they got in three quarters and HJ earned what they got in 1 quarter.

[quote name="PoppaBearstarr" post="1364089" timestamp="1358349868"]
[quote author=ST413 link=topic=108282.msg1364083#msg1364083 date=1358349081]
[/quote]

I thought the game was called fair, in fact it was really good. I think that they let a lot of contact go in the first half for BOTH teams and tightened up in the second half on BOTH teams. But I could make the same comment that you did and say, we made poor decisions in the first half that it wasn't your pressure, and that we did a lot of "favors" for the tigers. But we both know how momentum works.
[/quote]

Never once did I say anything about the officiating being unfair and I also credited Hj in causing some of our mistakes.  But that had little to do with us running down and hurrying shots or making poor fouls in the center of or back court. This doing the Hawks a big favor at that time and stopping the clock, and giving th free throws no matter what percentage they made. 

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1364093" timestamp="1358350305"]
[/quote]

Some would consider that forcing a 50% free throw shooting team to the line to be a good strategy, particularly is they are beginning to shoot better from the field.  Silsbee earned what they got in three quarters and HJ earned what they got in 1 quarter.
[/quote]

Never said hj didn't earn what they got,  I did say we did them favors in getting it.  Why don't you ask your "source" or Coach Sutherland if they want their team to have reaching or similar fouls in the back court or  out well past the three point line with a large lead in the fourth quarter.  I would guess their answer would be the same no matter what free throw percentage the other team shot.  Now if that lead was down to 4 pts early in that quarter that answer might change.  The Tigers did not play as well in that quarter mentally, yes partly due to hj and partly a trait the Tigrs have had.  For our sake it needs to end.

[quote name="ST413" post="1364117" timestamp="1358354741"]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=108282.msg1364093#msg1364093 date=1358350305]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Never said hj didn't earn what they got,  I did say we did them favors in getting it.  Why don't you ask your "source" or Coach Sutherland if they want their team to have reaching or similar fouls in the back court or  out well past the three point line with a large lead in the fourth quarter.  I would guess their answer would be the same no matter what free throw percentage the other team shot.  Now if that lead was down to 4 pts early in that quarter that answer might change.  The Tigers did not play as well in that quarter mentally, yes partly due to hj and partly a trait the Tigrs have had.  For our sake it needs to end.
[/quote]

The fouls you speak of, in my opinion, took place the entire game and in some earlier cases contributed to HJ turnovers when they were not called.  Therefore, there were benefits from them at certain points and penalties for them at other points.  The referees interpreted those actions differently later in the game.  Bottom line is still that Silsbee was fully responsible for the good they did in three quarters and HJ was fully responsible for the good they did in the last quarter rather than because Silsbee got called for some fouls.  Truth be told, I too would have preferred Silsbee not get called for the fouls you mentioned because HJ was starting to make a few threes and I would much rather have had HJ have additional field goal  opportunities than to make every other free throw they took.

Whether they were fouls in the first half doesn't matter.  They definitely were in the second.  My point was that in the fourth quarter the biggest opponent the hawks had was the clock.  We needed to play good defense without reaching or trying for the tough steals and stopping that clock.  We needed good offensive possessions to keep that clock running.  Yes hj started hitting 3's but not everyone was going to go in. Could the game still have gotten close.....sure.  We just didn't need to help by stopping the clock so much.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder