**#2 HARDIN-JEFFERSON vs. #3 SILSBEE @ Ford Park/SILSBEE WINS 81-76!!

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1364364" timestamp="1358436717"]
[quote author=BADSANTA link=topic=108282.msg1364353#msg1364353 date=1358435496]
Why does HJ choose not to play a harder schedule? They play some local 4A and a ton of 2A schools. No school they have played so far this year besides Central and Longview could stay in the gym with Silsbee. Not even Kountze!
[/quote] You are aware that Kountze have already beaten Silsbee by 20 already, right?
[/quote]

To their credit, they still had players in football (Elam, Holmes, Reed). It would be a good game for a playoff preview but I doubt it happens.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="txbuick69" post="1364377" timestamp="1358438826"]
Only because half the basketball team was playing football when they play Kountze. I think if these two played now, Silsbee would blow Kountze out the gym..
[/quote]

Highly doubt it. It would be a 5-6 point game either way.

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1364364" timestamp="1358436717"]
Why does HJ choose not to play a harder schedule? They play some local 4A and a ton of 2A schools. No school they have played so far this year besides Central and Longview could stay in the gym with Silsbee. Not even Kountze!
[/quote] You are aware that Kountze have already beaten Silsbee by 20 already, right?
[/quote]

and we all know that was 3/4 Silsbee JV team at that time. Only 4 (just 2 starters) of the current 14 varsity players were playing at that time.

But, that team was good enough to beat Central the week before. ;)

[quote name="KHSAlum400" post="1364380" timestamp="1358438971"]
[quote author=txbuick69 link=topic=108282.msg1364377#msg1364377 date=1358438826]
Only because half the basketball team was playing football when they play Kountze. I think if these two played now, Silsbee would blow Kountze out the gym..
[/quote]

Highly doubt it. It would be a 5-6 point game either way.
[/quote]I agree!

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1364354" timestamp="1358435708"]
[/quote]Maybe:
to:

1. Pad your stats----- get State rankings

2. Pad your stats-- to get S.E.Texas rankings

3. Pad your stats---  ::) ::)
[/quote].      When HJ was in EC tourney Silsbee in another tourney beating everyone by thirty-  If one team "earns its ranking" (by the sophisticated Dove/freeze method) and other team does not and yet when those teams play each other they are very close games, what do you conclude about your schedule theory( other than u believe it sounds intelligent)?

[quote name="txbuick69" post="1364384" timestamp="1358439556"]
Kountze could not  hang...I wish silsbee and central played again too. They lucky my lilttle brother was still in football the first time they played...
[/quote] I think Kountze would win.  Did you not know that  not to long ago they smacked White Oak (was #1 in 2a at that time).  Central?  Again, I don't think that Silsbee would win that one as well with how much better Central have gotten since that last meeting..

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1364381" timestamp="1358439093"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=108282.msg1364364#msg1364364 date=1358436717]
[/quote]

and we all know that was 3/4 Silsbee JV team at that time. Only 4 (just 2 starters) of the current 14 varsity players were playing at that time.

[/quote]...and good enough to loose to a Baytown Lee team AFTER receiving the football boys back? 8)

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1364393" timestamp="1358440908"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=108282.msg1364381#msg1364381 date=1358439093]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=108282.msg1364364#msg1364364 date=1358436717]
[/quote]

[/quote]...and good enough to loose to a Baytown Lee team AFTER receiving the football boys back? 8)
[/quote]

Soulja, your basketball credibility is lacking if you are saying that Silsbee is the same team now as they were the first 3 weeks of the season. The Baytown Lee loss was a bad loss for Silsbee even tough it was the first game with the football players with 1 practice under their belts and on the road. A couple of those football players did not even suit out for that game.

Do I think Silsbee beats Kountze now? Yes. Do I think Silsbee beats Central now? I don't know but I like their chances. I can assure you that based on what I have seen from watching Silsbee and Central early part of the season till now, Silsbee has improved much more as a team than what Central has done thus far. Does that equate in a Silsbee win over Central right now? No it doesn't. But then again, Central had no business losing to a Silsbee JV team neither. ;)

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1364408" timestamp="1358442534"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=108282.msg1364393#msg1364393 date=1358440908]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=108282.msg1364381#msg1364381 date=1358439093]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Soulja, your basketball credibility is lacking if you are saying that Silsbee is the same team now as they were the first 3 weeks of the season. The Baytown Lee loss was a bad loss for Silsbee even tough it was the first game with the football players with 1 practice under their belts and on the road. A couple of those football players did not even suit out for that game.

Do I think Silsbee beats Kountze now? Yes. Do I think Silsbee beats Central now? I don't know but I like their chances. I can assure you that based on what I have seen from watching Silsbee and Central early part of the season till now, Silsbee has improved much more as a team than what Central has done thus far. Does that equate in a Silsbee win over Central right now? No it doesn't. But then again, Central had no business losing to a Silsbee JV team neither. ;)
[/quote]My basketball credibility is only based off of an opinion (your opinion).  ;)

I Never said Silsbee don't get better than they were vs 3 weeks ago.  Where did you pull that information from?  I said Central have gotten better, which is scary considering they were already good at the beginning of the season (evident in blowing H-J away).  But it seems you're trying to downplay the Lee loss (HORRIBLE team with a HORRIBLE record to boot) by making mention of the Silsbee loss (who still had 2 of the regular starters on the game that played well may I add)

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1364426" timestamp="1358444624"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=108282.msg1364420#msg1364420 date=1358443881]
Soulja, how many games have you seen Silsbee play this year? How many with Silsbee's complete team?
[/quote] Why is that info relevant?  I've seen Silsbee play.  ;)
[/quote]

Thought so. ::)

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1364408" timestamp="1358442534"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=108282.msg1364393#msg1364393 date=1358440908]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Do I think Silsbee beats Kountze now? Yes. Do I think Silsbee beats Central now? I don't know but I like their chances. [b]I can assure you that based on what I have seen from watching Silsbee and Central early part of the season till now, Silsbee has improved much more as a team than what Central has done thus far.[/b] Does that equate in a Silsbee win over Central right now? No it doesn't. But then again, Central had no business losing to a Silsbee JV team neither. ;)
[/quote]
Since the Silsbee/Central game the Jags have lost three games, the Tigers have lost seven. Two of which to a good Nederland squad that Central has beaten once. You're making at bias statement as a fan of the Tigers but, the proof is in the pudding. Central has grown more as a team!

That is not bias, that is fact based on the personnel of each team. Central still has the same team they started the season with, Silsbee does not. Is Central playing better basketball than they were early in the season? YES!! But Silsbee was basically fielding a JV team those first 3 weeks of the season and now have their full compliment of a varsity team (4 varsity players before, 14 now). Three of Silsbee's top 5 scorers (1. Elam, 2. Holmes, 4. Reed) were still playing football and 4 of the first 5 off the bench(Jackson, Barnes, Brydson, Scott) were still in football those first 3 weeks. Personnel wise, Silsbee is no where near the team they were those first 3 weeks than what they are now. You cannot make that claim with Central.

Silsbee has grown much more as a team than Central. That is a fact, not opinion.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1364427" timestamp="1358445026"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=108282.msg1364426#msg1364426 date=1358444624]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=108282.msg1364420#msg1364420 date=1358443881]
Soulja, how many games have you seen Silsbee play this year? How many with Silsbee's complete team?
[/quote] Why is that info relevant?  I've seen Silsbee play.  ;)
[/quote]

Thought so. ::)
[/quote] What?  You did not prove a point.  I noticed you said you don't know who would win of Central and Silsbee wouldl play now.  Since you have seen every Central and Silsbee game, I would have expected you to take Silsbee since they have gotten so much better with the addition of the football boys, right?

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1364441" timestamp="1358447712"]
That is not bias, that is fact based on the personnel of each team. Central still has the same team they started the season with, Silsbee does not. Is Central playing better basketball than they were early in the season? YES!! But Silsbee was basically fielding a JV team those first 3 weeks of the season and now have their full compliment of a varsity team (4 varsity players before, 14 now). Three of Silsbee's top 5 scorers (1. Elam, 2. Holmes, 4. Reed) were still playing football and 4 of the first 5 off the bench(Jackson, Barnes, Brydson, Scott) were still in football those first 3 weeks. Personnel wise, Silsbee is no where near the team they were those first 3 weeks than what they are now. You cannot make that claim with Central.

Silsbee has grown much more as a team than Central. That is a fact, not opinion.
[/quote] Remember, Central started the season with 2 players that have never played a high school game in their lives.  These two players started vs Silsbee...an EXPERIENCED Silsbee team that had players on the court that was on last year's deep playoff run team.

I honestly do not know who would win out Central and Silsbee right now.

What I do know is that Central losing to a Silsbee "JV" team is the biggest head scratcher of the season so far. I honestly do not know how they lost that game and I believe had they played that game over again (with the same players as before) Central wins by 20 or more. I think Central took that Silsbee team lightly because those kids knew that wasn't the "real" Tiger varsity team.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1364441" timestamp="1358447712"]

[/quote]
Nope it's your opinion and you're entitled to it. But, there are some who believe the Jags have grown more as a team and it's their opinion.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1364451" timestamp="1358448854"]
I honestly do not know who would win out Central and Silsbee right now.

What I do know is that Central losing to a Silsbee "JV" team is the biggest head scratcher of the season so far. I honestly do not know how they lost that game and I believe had they played that game over again (with the same players as before) Central wins by 20 or more. I think Central took that Silsbee team lightly because those kids knew that wasn't the "real" Tiger varsity team.
[/quote] I can see that being the case...

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1364449" timestamp="1358448589"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=108282.msg1364441#msg1364441 date=1358447712]

[/quote] Remember, Central started the season with 2 players that have never played a high school game in their lives.  These two players started vs Silsbee...[b]an EXPERIENCED Silsbee team that had players on the court that was on last year's deep playoff run team.[/b]
[/quote]

Two players for Silsbee (Wilson and Dobbins) was all that played against Central that was on Silsbee's deep playoff team last year. TWO!! Every other player were JV or freshmen players the year before. (besides Thomas who left Silsbee last year in December to go back to PA Memorial).

The JV team myth:
Central started two freshman that game that were new to not only varsity basketball but, high school basketball. The other three staters had one year of high school basketball experience. Fielding a JV team or not, it's arguable that your Silsbee Tigers were the more experienced team.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1364350" timestamp="1358434841"]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=108282.msg1364345#msg1364345 date=1358433648]
Last year speaks volumes.  Mr Sutherland has an EXTREMELY distinguished coaching resume at several different schools and until one has similar credentials, one looks a little foolish suggesting they know better methods than he does.
[/quote]Nash, you know Freeze1914 is correct.  Nash, repeat after me several times, "HJ's program is not perfect."  :D
[/quote]

Ok Dove- as per your instructions " HJ's program is not perfect"  Now please reciprocate by repeating after me;  " If a team is competitive and successful on a yearly basis, you cant "talk" that success away"  And I am still one who believes Mr. Sutherland has more high school coaching knowledge/experience than Freeze and Da Dove combined.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami