District 20-2A

This district is gonna see the high end and the low end of the 2A picture in this region. With Corrigan-Camden, Hemphill, Kirbyville, Newton, Warren, and Woodville, this district will see some of the bottom of the pile along with returning two of the most dangerous 2A baseball teams in SETX. I'm seeing the district turning into an arms race between Woodville and Warren, although Hemphill and even a scrappy, young Kirbyville squad should compete. There's just too much talent on those two squads. I think, for either team, anything short of a district championship will be a disappointment. And noone can just push aside the bad blood that comes along with this heated in-county rivalry. Should be interesting to watch.
As for my picks, here they are.

1. Woodville (9-1) 1 loss to Warren, @Warren
2. Warren (8-2) 1 loss to Woodville, 1 loss to Hemphill
3. Hemphill (7-3) 2 losses to Woodville, 1 loss to Warren
4. Kirbyville (4-6) 2 losses to each above team
5. Corrigan (1-9) 2 losses to each above, 1 loss to Newton
6. Newton (1-9) 1 win over Corrigan, 2 losses to all others

Woodville:
-My reasoning for them being tops in this district is a couple different factors. When you look at this year's Eagle squad, you see experience and a higher level of playing than any other team in this district. You see the homeruns, the no-hitters, the all-state talent, and a coach that has been apart of a state championship team and won more playoff games as a coach(head or assistant) than all the other coaches in this district combined. This will be a tough district run, but in the end I think the experience and returning 6 all-district and 1 all-state starter will pay off for the Eagles.

Warren:
-This was a tough decision putting the Warriors second. My reasoning behing this was the fact that I dont see a championship level of play in the Warriors. When you look at them, you see alot of good players that play good fundamental, team baseball. Which is great, dont get me wrong. But when you look at championship caliber teams, you usually(not always) have that superstar or a legendary head coach. The Warriors have a solid line-up and will be a tough match for any team in this region, which is why I think they split with Woodville. But I also think that the lack of that one person to carry the team through a tough game will hurt them against either Hemphill or Kirbyville. But the top two could go either way IMO.

Hemphill:
-Hemphill is always tough. They return several starters and all-district players, including sophomore phenom Justin Twine. Twine will, IMO, be the only exceptional talent on the Hornets roster this year. They look alot like Warren, only not as consistent across the board. But, I think Twine's ability to carry this team will allow them to beat the Warriors once and clinch that third playoff spot in this tough district.

Kirbyville:
-I look for Kirbyville to be young and scrappy. They'll win the games they're supposed to, but unfortuantely in a district with teams like the teams that the Wildcats will be facing, young and scrappy doesn't win the games you arent supposed to win, much less a championship. But maybe they will surprise me. Hopefully so. Good luck Wildcats.

Corrigan-Camden:
-I look for the Bulldogs to take a downhill slope away from what the rest of the district seems to be doing. Corrigan was struggling last year and seem to have lost several key players according to the Bulldog faithful i've talked to recently. I look for them to be down and even possibly lose one to an improved Newton team. This might be a re-building year for them. But I hope they work hard and surprise alot of people.

Newton:
-I look for the Eagles to be improved, but sadly, still Newton. This steriotypical football high school will take an uphill swing, but it will take a few years to gain any momentum in baseball for the Eagles. But, I do see them defeating Corrigan-Camden one time in Newton. The kids down in Newton play hard and dont like to get beat at all, in any sport. They're always fun to watch and seem to have passion in every sport they play.

[b]District MVP:[/b] Torin Hickman, C, [b]Woodville[/b]
[b]Offensive MVP:[/b] Justin Twine, SS, [b]Hemphill[/b]
[b]Defensive MVP:[/b] Kolton Perfect, SS, [b]Warren[/b]

These last ones are just for fun. I recognize its way too early for those, but just wanted to throw those out. lol

Both teams are well coached that is undisputable. But Woodville graduated 5 from last years squad, and Warren is returning all varsity, most for thier 4th varisty season. Each year the team stats and wins go up. I just don't see them taking a step back.
The games will no doubt be good, better than good. This is 2A, injuries play BIG and one bad inning can turn a season. I look forward to seeing some great games played by some great kids... 

[quote name="txtitan72" post="1358278" timestamp="1356234367"]
Well I am going to have to disagree you on the top picks with Woodville have two key players hurt it is going to be hard for them to beat Warren. I don't see Hickman getting MVP either.
[/quote]
Hickman got MVP in the tougher district they were in last year. Don't doubt him on that. The two injuries are improving greatly. One is 100% going to be back for the season and the other is about 85% right now.They suffered the same injury to different arms. I can respect the disagreements and all of the replies are valid. It should be an interesting run. Anything can happen with tho rivalry. And yes Woodville graduated five, that's true. But you also must consider that only two got any substantial playing time. They lost two starters. Both of which have been filled by good players. They return all but one on the infield, and two of three in the outfield(even though, IMO, the replacement is better than the one from last year). Their WHOLE pitching staff is back. Should be great. Anything can happen with these two teams. 

This is a good preseason synopsis of this district.  I have to agree with eagles on these predictions.  IMO, Woodville and Warren will share a district championship and will play each other in a 1 gamer at the end of the season for seeding purposes, too much returning for Warren and Woodville always has baseball players coming through the pipeline.  Hemphill will go 6-4 and gain the 3rd seed, they may have the best all around baseball player in the setx area.  Kirbyville is dropping from a tough 3a district a year ago.  They have 7 to 8 returning starters and while they are young, they gained valuable experience last year I see them going 5-5 in district.  Corrigan has traditionally been good and I'm not real sure about them other than what I have heard through others, but I think they will probably go 3-7.  Newton is always a tough game and they will be improved but I think this district is too much for them. 

• 3 weeks later...
I think a lot of people are over looking Hemphill. They will contend for the district championship. They only lost 2 seniors from last years squad. Twine will probably share MVP with Hickman. Heard also Twine is sitting above 90 with his fastball. Everyone in this dist struggles with velocity. Pitching will win this district.   

[quote name="longball24" post="1363577" timestamp="1358257192"]
I think a lot of people are over looking Hemphill. They will contend for the district championship. They only lost 2 seniors from last years squad. Twine will probably share MVP with Hickman. Heard also Twine is sitting above 90 with his fastball. Everyone in this dist struggles with velocity. Pitching will win this district. 
[/quote]
I've heard that about Twine every year since he came on the spot. He's a great player, and you're right, he could possibly share the title. They'll contend. I have them beating Warren once because of Twine and Twine alone lol
They will be good and this district will be very tough. Top two are set in people's minds as of now. Hemphill is iffy. If they can come in and have a good pre-district, then I can see them shoving there way into a three way race for the championship.

[quote name="eagleswoodville#1" post="1358406" timestamp="1356302468"]
[quote author=txtitan72 link=topic=107656.msg1358278#msg1358278 date=1356234367]
Well I am going to have to disagree you on the top picks with Woodville have two key players hurt it is going to be hard for them to beat Warren. I don't see Hickman getting MVP either.
[/quote]
Hickman got MVP in the tougher district they were in last year. Don't doubt him on that. The two injuries are improving greatly. One is 100% going to be back for the season and the other is about 85% right now.They suffered the same injury to different arms. I can respect the disagreements and all of the replies are valid. It should be an interesting run. Anything can happen with tho rivalry. And yes Woodville graduated five, that's true. But you also must consider that only two got any substantial playing time. They lost two starters. Both of which have been filled by good players. They return all but one on the infield, and two of three in the outfield(even though, IMO, the replacement is better than the one from last year). Their WHOLE pitching staff is back. Should be great. Anything can happen with these two teams.
[/quote]

Let's clarify... Hickman won what, "Defensive MVP?"  Because the MVP of the district was the kid from CH, and Twine was the Offensive MVP.  Twine will be the District MVP....

[quote name="Semi_Pro" post="1363643" timestamp="1358270115"]
[quote author=eagleswoodville#1 link=topic=107656.msg1358406#msg1358406 date=1356302468]
[quote author=txtitan72 link=topic=107656.msg1358278#msg1358278 date=1356234367]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Let's clarify... Hickman won what, "Defensive MVP?"  Because the MVP of the district was the kid from CH, and Twine was the Offensive MVP.  Twine will be the District MVP....
[/quote]
Noooo let me clarify. CO-MVP. With Hunter Hayley from CH. It's really hard to get MVP when your team won't contend for the title. Which I don't see them doing at this point.

Hickman is good. A good player and a good kid.  But, like most at this level runs hot and cold.
I understand you picking your home team 1st. Kinda like the fans who picked the Texans over the Patriots, the heart out weighs the mind.
Woodville is 0-1 in head to head, and has never seen the Warren starting pitching, or the Warren varsity on the field or in the lineup at the same time. Woodville may have all thier pitchers back, Warren has the whole team back.
Best of luck.   

[quote name="Wheel House" post="1363665" timestamp="1358272132"]
Hickman is good. A good player and a good kid.  But, like most at this level runs hot and cold.
I understand you picking your home team 1st. Kinda like the fans who picked the Texans over the Patriots, the heart out weighs the mind.
Woodville is 0-1 in head to head, and has never seen the Warren starting pitching, or the Warren varsity on the field or in the lineup at the same time. Woodville may have all thier pitchers back, Warren has the whole team back.
Best of luck.   

[/quote]
Woodville and Warren tied in their one head-to-head. At the Woodville tournament. And Woodville was in a position to win it in the bottom of the seventh until the Woodville player made the decision he did, which eventually led to the ending of the game. Warren was aloud to advance due to a classy move by Woodville's AD and head baseball coach. I agree with the hot/cold analogy though. All teams do. Which is why I see Woodville and Warren splitting. Both winning at home. If Warren can develope a leader; an on the field general, like Hickman for Woodville or Twine for Hemphill, then they will be a complete team in my eyes. The talent is there. But they need to take that next step. As do the other top two teams in this district. The only real difference that I see is that Woodville and Hemphill have established leaders who lead by play. I could see Kolton Perfect out of Warren assuming that spot this year. But I'd have to see it first. I fully understand and respect your opinions though. Honestly.

[quote name="Wheel House" post="1363714" timestamp="1358282033"]
Woodville should have lost on game ending double play. Woodville did lose on a deadball strike 3. After that Woodville lost on the tie breaker of runners on third. AND Woodville lost the unfortunate incident they started.
Woodville NEEDS a definate leader to motivate and keep the team in check...reference the unfortunate incident. Warren is essentially a team of leaders, each knows what to do and pulls the others up when needed.
No, Warren does not have the one Stud player to carry the team...Don't need it, not when the entire team is above average in ability and knowledge of the game.
Nine solid players, not one stud, a couple of good and the rest....       
[/quote]
You are quite obviously either a fan of Warren or have something against Woodville. So I'm going to leave it at this. After talking to coaches who were involved in the game, it was determined that the decision to advance was agreed upon between coaches. End of that. Warren COULD have won. But didn't. The error on the double play an dropped strike three gave Woodville the opportunity to tie the game in the bottom o the seventh. When the incident occurred, there were runners on first and second with two outs. The hit batter would've loaded the bases for the most dangerous hitter on either team. Unfortunately, a poor decision cost Woodville that opportunity. I have never defended Woodville when it comes to that. It was a poor choice. And for you to come on here claiming that ANYONE "won" as a result of that situation is completely uncalled for. And it's over now. Put it in the past. But as for the game, Woodville was in a position to win that game when it ended. Warren missed opportunities. A couple of them like you stated.

eagleswoodville#1 you are obviously a Woodville Eagle apalogist. I tend to agree about letting sleeping dog lie, but your take boarders on outrageous.
In the last match between Warren and Woodville, Woodville plunked at least 4 Warren batters with NO response from Warren, (verbal or othewise). The ONE Woodville batter that got hit, told the dugout his intentions before coming to bat. He leaned in on a strike to deliberately get hit, then charged the mound. The Woodville dugout, after being told his intentions, stormed the field.
How, in anyones mind, this is called leadership, sportsmanship, or letting the assulted team advance is called "gracious" is beyond me....
I know several of the Woodville players, good kids and honestly ashamed of what happened. But, the actions they displayed that game speak volumes against your sugar coating a complete breakdown.       

[quote name="Walk off" post="1364721" timestamp="1358531179"]
eagleswoodville#1 you are obviously a Woodville Eagle apalogist. I tend to agree about letting sleeping dog lie, but your take boarders on outrageous.
In the last match between Warren and Woodville, Woodville plunked at least 4 Warren batters with NO response from Warren, (verbal or othewise). The ONE Woodville batter that got hit, told the dugout his intentions before coming to bat. He leaned in on a strike to deliberately get hit, then charged the mound. The Woodville dugout, after being told his intentions, stormed the field.
How, in anyones mind, this is called leadership, sportsmanship, or letting the assulted team advance is called "gracious" is beyond me....
I know several of the Woodville players, good kids and honestly ashamed of what happened. But, the actions they displayed that game speak volumes against your sugar coating a complete breakdown.     
[/quote]
When in this whole thread, or any other thread for that matter, have I EVER supported what happened in that game? Or tried to throw blame around? Never. In fact, I've stated several times how embarrassing it was. I know EXACTLY what happened that game. I was much more in tuned with it than you were, I promise. PM me and I can give you details on that. So before you come on here attacking me for "sugarcoating a complete breakdown", learn what my view really is and how I've actually approached the matter. I have NEVER defended Woodville for that. But to say that it was purely a one-sided deal, is completely wrong. Woodville was completely the one at fault here. I don't deny that. And you're mistaken. There were verbal altercations the entire game between both sides. I also know that for a fact. In the end it really doesn't matter what we think about the situation. It happened. Now it's over an means nothing on this upcoming season.
Now I'd love to hear takes on this district. But I'm done talking about the incident on this thread.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    daxebeg833
    Newest Member
    daxebeg833