Southeast Texas Football

[quote name="77" post="1352656" timestamp="1355093428"]
[quote author=setxguru link=topic=107288.msg1352655#msg1352655 date=1355093306]
[quote author=77 link=topic=107288.msg1352652#msg1352652 date=1355093183]
WOS has one of the older stadiums around but its still one of the best in my book for watching games big stands great parking lots of room! Giant video board not needed!jmo
[/quote]
Once again, OFCOURSE ITS NOT NEEDED, but wouldn't it be a nice upgrade to get say field turf.  Did you think the track was needed?
[/quote]Sure it would but my point is that the places that are building these big complexes are booming
[/quote]
I don't think that WOS or LCM are booming and yet LCM has a jumbo tron and WOS just built a new multi million dollar Elementary and about a 750,000 track complex.  If they would not have had a vision then this wouldn't have been possible for either school.  You have got to open your freaking mind and quit living in the 70's and 80's.  Do you think these schools are out of line for these investments?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="77" post="1352656" timestamp="1355093428"]
WOS has one of the older stadiums around but its still one of the best in my book for watching games big stands great parking lots of room! Giant video board not needed!jmo
[/quote]
Once again, OFCOURSE ITS NOT NEEDED, but wouldn't it be a nice upgrade to get say field turf.  Did you think the track was needed?
[/quote]Sure it would but my point is that the places that are building these big complexes are booming
[/quote] WOS has to have the largest 3a stadium in the state of Texas

[quote name="Chris17" post="1352663" timestamp="1355093681"]
[quote author=77 link=topic=107288.msg1352656#msg1352656 date=1355093428]
[/quote]
[/quote]
What does WOS having a large stadium have to do with this topic?

[quote name="setxguru" post="1352666" timestamp="1355093746"]
[quote author=Chris17 link=topic=107288.msg1352663#msg1352663 date=1355093681]
[quote author=77 link=topic=107288.msg1352656#msg1352656 date=1355093428]
[/quote]
[/quote]
What does WOS having a large stadium have to do with this topic?
[/quote] I was making a statement.. sorry

I do apologize if I come across as being rude in my last few statements.  I am very passionate about this topic.  Chris17 you are correct.  WOS does have a huge stadium, and I they definately need upgrades on the stadium size.  My point would be a football program like WOS with all that tradition, in my opinion would make since if they got field turf.  Regardless of the situation in the town, if the administration and community supported it and had a plan, it would be doable.

The biggest part of the video screen at LCM which was one of the first in the district was mostly paid for with company donations.(and boy did that draw a lot of big time transfers not) The schools in that district are in horrible conditon, thats what should be repaired not giant stadiums. Orange recently annexed part of LCM community to broaden their tax base because Orange is dead and everything down town is either a museum theater or a church which arent taxed. Iwould love for everyone to have a billion dollar stadium and complex but it all boils down to math and knowstomuch is an excellant example of why math teachers need a raise!

[quote name="setxguru" post="1352670" timestamp="1355094032"]
I do apologize if I come across as being rude in my last few statements.  I am very passionate about this topic.  Chris17 you are correct.  WOS does have a huge stadium, and I they definately need upgrades on the stadium size.  My point would be a football program like WOS with all that tradition, in my opinion would make since if they got field turf.  Regardless of the situation in the town, if the administration and community supported it and had a plan, it would be doable.
[/quote] Yes it would look alot better. LCM also needs larger stadium. I like a grass field, and I did not like playing on turf. I don't know if you have ever seen Daingerfields stadium, but its not a pretty sight. They have a good football program there, and I would have thought they would have had a better facility

[quote name="setxguru" post="1352676" timestamp="1355094344"]
You did not answer my question 77.  Do you think that WOS made a bad investment on there new elementary and track and LCM on there jumbo?
[/quote]No I think they were both neccesary but can they afford them we will see!

[quote name="setxguru" post="1352687" timestamp="1355095083"]
They were neccesary, but you would not have pushed for them is what I am assuming from your last statement.  That is the difference between the rest of the state and SETX.
[/quote]If it means losing teachers you are correct. I never said I woulnt like these things I'am just being practicle. I would love all that. I could move to the Lake Travis school district and pay about 3 times what I pay in taxes now and have all the frills but I really cant afford that right now, my point is if you cant afford it then its probably not practicle! Visited a Katy Seven Lakes hs once to do a workshop. The building was brand new and it looked like a college campus very nice. Needed a projector and for 25 teachers in one dept.they had 2 projectors. Now whats the point of all the frills if you cant equip it to satisfy the need of the students and teachers.

[quote name="knows2much" post="1352428" timestamp="1355064854"]
I'm not saying that it can't or won't be done. Even the Yankees lose. Newton without a doubt has an exceptional team. I really want for them to represent SETX with a state championship. But aside from that...when's the last time we've had a championship from this area. Even the year Coldsprings made it...they got the heck beat out of them by Carthage. Making it 2,3,4 rounds isn't always a great success when you get trashed when you get there. Take a road trip to some of the schools I'm talking about. Go to Navasota and ask yourself if WOS had that much of a chance. Every year we have all these ''great'' teams that we are so sure will make deep, deep runs. And they don't. WOS, Silsbee, Nederland, East Chambers, Newton,... I'm just saying..our ''great'' teams eventually get beat and usually beat bad. Newton seems to be an exception this year so far. We do not have a single school in this area going ''all out'' on athletics. We will always be second fiddle until that happens.
[/quote]......i think poverty newton is the last state title holder from this area

I can't really speak to the other classifications, but in 4A (soon to be 5A, I guess), I think the problem in the playoffs has more to do with the discrepancy in enrollment numbers than it does the amount of money spent or the caliber of facilities. The range for the 4A classification is more than a thousand students. Sure, we have divisions in the playoffs, but even in DII, there's a huge discrepancy. PN-G played Manvel a few years ago in the regional semifinal. Manvel was almost a 5A school with about 2,000 students versus middle-of-the-pack PN-G with a little more than 1,400. I swear Manvel (which has since moved up a classification) had more kids suited out on the sidelines than most college programs I've seen, and that depth really showed in the second half. I'm sure the Nederland fans know what I'm talking about from the games against Dawson and Georgetown.

Now when it comes to some of the other areas of competition such as band and academics, I guarantee the funding is what makes the difference. Friendswood and Dawson at one time had enough money to bring in the people who wrote the UIL tests to tutor their students regularly while PN-G and LC-M could barely scrounge up enough money to send their kids to a single workshop. Dawson used to have a Baby Grand piano that did an accompaniment with their halftime show and Friendswood had a little sound booth mounted on a cart where they would have soloists play and/or sing.

• 59% of high school football and basketball players believe they will get a college scholarship.
• 98 out of 100 high school athletes never play collegiate sports of any kind at any level.
• Less than one out of every 100 high school athletes receive a scholarship of any kind to a Division I school.
• Nationally, out of every 100 9th graders, 68 will graduate from high school, 40 will enter college directly, 27
are still enrolled in college in their second year, and 18 will graduate from college. These numbers include all
students entered in college. - US Dept. of Education
Only 1 in 16,000 high school athletes attains a professional career in sport

Hey but lets spend more money.

With that being said, I think every kid that is able should play high school football. I learned some of the most important lessons of my life on Friday nights, but spending money that is not there for a championship that might or might not happen is ridiculous. It would be hard for a small town in any part of the state with declining enrollment, state budget cuts, federal budget cuts, and increasing costs to put out 130K a year for the AD and spend millions of dollars on new facilities.

[quote name="PN-G bamakid" post="1352721" timestamp="1355099106"]
I can't really speak to the other classifications, but in 4A (soon to be 5A, I guess), I think the problem in the playoffs has more to do with the discrepancy in enrollment numbers than it does the amount of money spent or the caliber of facilities. The range for the 4A classification is more than a thousand students. Sure, we have divisions in the playoffs, but even in DII, there's a huge discrepancy. PN-G played Manvel a few years ago in the regional semifinal. Manvel was almost a 5A school with about 2,000 students versus middle-of-the-pack PN-G with a little more than 1,400. I swear Manvel (which has since moved up a classification) had more kids suited out on the sidelines than most college programs I've seen, and that depth really showed in the second half. I'm sure the Nederland fans know what I'm talking about from the games against Dawson and Georgetown.

Now when it comes to some of the other areas of competition such as band and academics, I guarantee the funding is what makes the difference. Friendswood and Dawson at one time had enough money to bring in the people who wrote the UIL tests to tutor their students regularly while PN-G and LC-M could barely scrounge up enough money to send their kids to a single workshop. Dawson used to have a Baby Grand piano that did an accompaniment with their halftime show and Friendswood had a little sound booth mounted on a cart where they would have soloists play and/or sing.
[/quote]

Hammer , meet nail !  That is exactly it !

[quote name="PN-G bamakid" post="1352721" timestamp="1355099106"]

[/quote]

You're really not going to like what happening after this next realignment then.

What I want to know is how is the Robin Hood law being administered. I see WOS sending several million dollars a year to Bridge City and WOS barely being able to afford anything. Then I see schools up in North Texas building college size stadiums. I see Friendswood with their own tractor trailor rig just to haul band instruments. The state of Texas needs to look anew at public school funding. Someone mentioned Jumbotrons, that is just to bring in better crowds, remember at most schools the football program is the primary revenue for the entire schools sports program. I can see a Jumbotron as an investment. I know WOS used to host at least one round of playoff football every now and then. Would field turf and a Jumbotron put them in the mix to make revenue again? Debatable I think.

[quote name="Richard Cranium" post="1352872" timestamp="1355150932"]
Another question, when was the last time a inner city school with a high poverty level won a state championship in football?
Texas High School Football has turned into a money sport.....period!!
[/quote]

Dallas Carter or Aldine High maybe???  Unless you consider LaMarque.....

[quote author=SFA85 link=topic=107288.msg1352874#msg1352874 date=1355151269]
Well, right now Lancaster, JT, Desoto and Houston Lamar(despite them being on Westheimer) are still in the mix......
[/quo
Houston Lamar is the only inner city school.  John Tyler is one of three schools in Tyler, and they share Tyler Rose Stadium with Lee. Desoto and Lancaster are south of I-20 and both have unbelievable facilities. 

You can make all the excuses you want but as far as football reasons go it's because of enrollment first and the SETX inability to develop elite passing games second. Georgetown, Manor, Cedar Park, and Rouse all have better passing games than anyone in the area except Summer Creek. Maybe not as many yards but definitely more efficient. In the SETX you get the big rushing numbers like Walter, Hopkins, and Quirante had. I think Euless Trinity or Cedar Hill are the only two teams to win a 5 or 4a state championship the last several years that didn't sling the ball all over the field. It's easy for Georgetown to neutralize Ned's d-line if you have 4 guys on the outside that can catch and run, who cares about running the ball? Money is part of the issue also but less than people think, I believe it's the participation of males those schools with money have. North Shore, Trinity, Desoto, Cedar Hill, and Skyline are there every year and far from what anyone would consider affluent, they just have better athletes than everyone else which translates to better teams. Manor might be the poorest school in the district, 91% minority and 79% below the poverty line not to mention nobody even comes to their games, they just have better athletes than other teams as Georgetown did over Ned. Surprised to see there's an AD in Texas making more than Chad Morris was at Lake Travis but I hope this post gets you to lean more towards antiquated offenses and participation vs money.

As a husband of a teacher, you don't want me to get started on how much she would make if you broke it down by the hour that she spends at the school.  Not near enough...as far as discrepancy in enrollment numbers between schools in the same classification, that does not just occur in 4A, but in all 5 levels.  Examples: 5A- North Shore 4600, Memorial 2270.  4A- Central 1840, Lumberton 1087.  3A- Silsbee 822, Buna 450.  2A- Kirbyville 425, Newton 300. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder