Do all 7th grade FB teams in Setx lack a good program?

I understand excatly what you mean!! The 7th grade programs in Beaumont are terrible, cant speak for mid-county and Lumberton. First of all they only play for an hr regardless of the score because they have to be off the field by 630-645 so the 8th grade game can start on time!! I hope STJFL start allowing 7th graders to play on their senior teams because the it would increase the numbers and they can continue to develope for 8th grade football.

[quote name="jag86" post="1275174" timestamp="1347987723"]
I understand excatly what you mean!! The 7th grade programs in Beaumont are terrible, cant speak for mid-county and Lumberton. First of all they only play for an hr regardless of the score because they have to be off the field by 630-645 so the 8th grade game can start on time!! [b]I hope STJFL start allowing 7th graders to play on their senior teams because the it would increase the numbers and they can continue to develope for 8th grade football.[/b][/quote]

I wish it would happen but doubt it will!

[quote name="Brubaker" post="1275159" timestamp="1347986364"]
Do you mean your school doesn't have a 7th grade program??? What are you saying?
[/quote]

Well....I dont wanna call anyone out or throw anyone under the bus, I just wanted to know what other people's thoughts were on the 7th grade programs in this area. It just seems that the whole 7th grade program is an afterthought, rather than an honest attempt to get an early jump on developing future players.

I totally understand I can do what I want!! That wasnt the gist of the BLOG!! Peolpe like you one4All just turn stuff around, everytime you guys see JAG86 it gets personal. For the record, I am nor referring to the Central JAGS when I created my user name!! I have no affiliation with any Beaumont SCHOOLS, my wife went to WEST BROOK!! Go figure!!!!

[quote name="jag86" post="1275227" timestamp="1347990747"]
I totally understand I can do what I want!! That wasnt the gist of the BLOG!! Peolpe like you one4All just turn stuff around, everytime you guys see JAG86 it gets personal. For the record, I am nor referring to the Central JAGS when I created my user name!! I have no affiliation with any Beaumont SCHOOLS, my wife went to WEST BROOK!! Go figure!!!!
[/quote]

Personal?  Why are you so sure he was talking to you?  I believe "theoneandonly" started the thread.  He may have been talking to him.

You may be right, I was just stating my opinion on  how bad 7th grade football was in Beaumont!! I hope your area has a good 7th grade program!! Never said anything bad about STJFL, I hate when people take stuff the wrong way!!! I love the fact that I do not have to travel too far every weekend to play FOOTBALL, STJFL rocks!!! ;)

the original topic regarding 7th grade programs....yes , you are correct in that they are lacking coaching. i wish my son could continue to play in the STJFL until high school. Its not just Beaumont, I cant tell you where I live because that would give away my ability to talk smack anonomously or I would....but I live in 20-4A and feel the same as you.

I will say this in the STJFL has advantage that the middle school don't and that is time spent with players. The STJFL teams may only have 20-25 players and 4-6 "coaches". Middle school may have 50+ players and only 4 coaches. With most of the reps given to the "A" team so some of the players get left behind.

The problem is not seventh grade programs. The problem is you don't have enough of those kids playing in the youth programs growing up leading up to their seventh grade years. I can't speak for all the youth programs in the area but i know in Vidor we struggle to get 20-25 senior kids every year. Then all of a sudden in seventh grade you have 75 kids come out to play football. I coached youth football for seven years and it obvious when you go and watch seventh grade football which ones played youth football and the ones that did not.
So now you have 4-6 coaches trying to evaluate 75 kids in a matter of about 4 weeks and that first week is conditioning only. So i can't put the blame on the coaches or the programs. A kid that has never played football before other than yard ball is not going to look good or play good at that level compared to the kids that have been playing since they were 5 years old. And then some might say just play the kids that have the talent and experence from playing youth football, but then you have little Johnnys parents calling the coach,AD, or school board. By the time they hit the 8th grade the coaches have had a year to evaluate the kids and things start to get
better.
I watched the Vidor 8th grade A team last night play central 8th grade A team and it was a very good ball game.( 32-22 Vidor won )
I also watched the games before that game and they were not that good. (Cental won both of those games )

So i think before we start knocking our 7th grade programs we need to take a look at what our Jr. High coaches are up against. They really have a TALL TASK to face each year. JMHO

[quote name="supergold82" post="1276116" timestamp="1348081554"]
The problem is not seventh grade programs. The problem is you don't have enough of those kids playing in the youth programs growing up leading up to their seventh grade years. I can't speak for all the youth programs in the area but i know in Vidor we struggle to get 20-25 senior kids every year. Then all of a sudden in seventh grade you have 75 kids come out to play football. I coached youth football for seven years and it obvious when you go and watch seventh grade football which ones played youth football and the ones that did not.
So now you have 4-6 coaches trying to evaluate 75 kids in a matter of about 4 weeks and that first week is conditioning only. So i can't put the blame on the coaches or the programs. A kid that has never played football before other than yard ball is not going to look good or play good at that level compared to the kids that have been playing since they were 5 years old. And then some might say just play the kids that have the talent and experence from playing youth football, but then you have little Johnnys parents calling the coach,AD, or school board. By the time they hit the 8th grade the coaches have had a year to evaluate the kids and things start to get
better.
I watched the Vidor 8th grade A team last night play central 8th grade A team and it was a very good ball game.( 32-22 Vidor won )
I also watched the games before that game and they were not that good. (Cental won both of those games )

So i think before we start knocking our 7th grade programs we need to take a look at what our Jr. High coaches are up against. They really have a TALL TASK to face each year. JMHO
[/quote]
Very true! I hate seeing 75 kids in a 7th grade program but only 18 played youth football.. That is the main problem!

[quote name="supergold82" post="1276116" timestamp="1348081554"]
better.

[/quote]You hit the nail on the head.Plus you have kids that maybe lineman in 7th and 8th grade and then when varsity comes around he is starting running back. Kids mature at different stages during this period of there life.
You have 75 7th graders  show up one day, and then you have 3-4 weeks to make 4 teams like they do in vidor, and with only 4 coaches it's a very hard thing to do.

My personal opinion is that our 7th grade teams in Beaumont basically loose a whole year of quality training due to the focus on 8th grade football and the limited game time! Most games do not last an hour most of them last about 50 minutes due to either referees or teams showing up late. Most kids would benefit from playing little league as 7th graders because of the focus they would receive on development and the amount of game time experience they would receive from playing in games that last two hours. I kept all three in a little league program throughout their 7th grade year and all 3 of them started 8th grade on up! They knew more than the other kids and was use to different situations because of the amount of game time experience. As for the coaching, well let's just say, some don't have football experience or knowledge and some that do only have it up to a certain level! I hate seeing kids being played out of position, lining up wrong or certain offenses or defenses being played that don't fit there personel. I guess it is what it is! I think the STJFL would do a great service in allowing 7th graders to participate, after all, it is about the kids!

I know the Houston area middle schools do a good job of having games on different days that might work in the SETX area. They play 7th and 8th grade "B" team games, and some"C" games on Monday and then "A" team on Tuesday. The only reason I bring this up is because alot of times the coaches are spread thin at MS level IMO. I have one that went through MS and I noticed just a few coaches on sidelines for 7th grade because another coach was driving a different bus dealing with 8th graders. When have schools that have 75 plus players, there needs to be an "A" team and "B" team. The problem also could be that "A" will carry maybe 25 kids and "B" team carries 50 kids. Now, the games I seen were running clocks and coaches are trying to play ALL of the kids and a advanced kid that knows whats going on is only playing a couple of quarters due to the number of players on the team.

A solution could be that you have to make the team. They do it in all other MS sports except football. Just an opinion.

Certainly all good points, 7th grade football coaches may not be on their way to the NFL but they do have a tough road ahead of them. I have also heard about teams have 75 kids show up to play and only 20 have ever played before, the best coach would have a tough time with that.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder