Baytown Sterling at Baytown Lee Game Thread/Lee wins 25-22!

Nice call by the Sterling coach to "ICE" the kicker with 30 secons left on a 47 yard field goal. The kid missed it by 10 yards. Sterling was also not smart enough to put a returner in the end zone to try to run it back. Instead timeout was called and lee ran a reverse instead of kicking the next play for a 1st down that set up game winning field goal.

Sterling is in big big trouble. Lee had a 2nd string QB who can barely throw and he shreaded them for most of the night. If not for injuries, cramps and lee players leaving the game this would have been over at halftime.

Unfortunately for Sterling, the rest of the district has bigger and stronger bodies and will not wear down like Lee. If RSS does not beat first year program clear falls or 0-10 last year clear lake, I think they will go 0-10 again.

Finally made it home.

Very encouraged by what I saw from Lee.

Cedeno has all-district type potential at running back.  Very powerful runner.  Didn't really break out much tonight, but he is difficult to bring down and punishes defenders.

Zellars should be back next week.  With him at qb and Cedeno at rb, they will have a nice running attack.  Move Leonce out to slot receiver where he would be more useful.  Throw in Jobe and Gomez, both tall and rangy receivers on the outside and Lee should be able to move the ball against most opponents unless their offensive line is just an absolute sieve against the more athletic teams.

The Lee defense was very surprising.  They have Gilbert and Willie at safeties, both really good.  The corners are  both above average as well.  Kion Richardson was causing havoc in the backfield all night for the Rangers.  He would tackle both the fullback and the quarterback for good measure on multiple occasions.  He would also track down Acosta from behind if the play went away from him.  Once Richardson left the game for whatever reason in the 3rd quarter, the Rangers just started stuffing it down Lee's throat right towards the spot that he vacated.

The kicker is pretty good relative to what Lee has had in the past. 

Overall, I am very excited to see what Lee can do with a full assortment of healthy players.  Garza is also out.  Not sure when he is due back though.  I also think they should bring up #2 from the freshman team.  They could have used him out there tonight.

I think Sterling will be ok.  Not sure what is wrong with their option attack.  Seemed like they have all the players in there to make it work.  They just don't really get any sort of push with that line at all.  They also never threw the ball at all.  I would have thought they would throw it maybe once a quarter just to keep Lee honest.  #11 is a really good runner.  The fullback is ok once he gets going.  #7 looked pretty good.  The plays just never really had a chance.  Seemed like the Lee linebackers were having a meeting in the backfield on about every third play throughout the first half.  I think they were guessing on the snap count a lot and just barreling through there.

Yeah that was a horrible call to try to ice the kicker.  Also a bad call by Lee to throw it in the endzone on the 3rd and 10 if they wanted to go for a fg anyways.  Should have run it and tried to get five yards and give themselves a more makeable fg attempt.  It turned out ok, but I didn't think there was any way Lee would win once Sterling tied it. 

Sterling will be lucky to win a game this year.  Maybe clear lake was left in such bad shape that sterling has a chance.  QB is too short to see the field and cannot throw if he could.  With no threat whatsoever to throw, teams will leave a single safety to cover the one receiver and put everyone else in all out run support.

Freshman and JV won so maybe they have something coming up?

[quote name="panamamyers" post="1257383" timestamp="1346471634"]
Finally made it home.

Very encouraged by what I saw from Lee.

Cedeno has all-district type potential at running back.  Very powerful runner.  Didn't really break out much tonight, but he is difficult to bring down and punishes defenders.

Zellars should be back next week.  With him at qb and Cedeno at rb, they will have a nice running attack.  Move Leonce out to slot receiver where he would be more useful.  Throw in Jobe and Gomez, both tall and rangy receivers on the outside and Lee should be able to move the ball against most opponents unless their offensive line is just an absolute sieve against the more athletic teams.

The Lee defense was very surprising.  They have Gilbert and Willie at safeties, both really good.  The corners are  both above average as well.  Kion Richardson was causing havoc in the backfield all night for the Rangers.  He would tackle both the fullback and the quarterback for good measure on multiple occasions.  He would also track down Acosta from behind if the play went away from him.  Once Richardson left the game for whatever reason in the 3rd quarter, the Rangers just started stuffing it down Lee's throat right towards the spot that he vacated.

The kicker is pretty good relative to what Lee has had in the past. 

Overall, I am very excited to see what Lee can do with a full assortment of healthy players.  Garza is also out.  Not sure when he is due back though.  I also think they should bring up #2 from the freshman team.  They could have used him out there tonight.

I think Sterling will be ok.  Not sure what is wrong with their option attack.  Seemed like they have all the players in there to make it work.  They just don't really get any sort of push with that line at all.  They also never threw the ball at all.  I would have thought they would throw it maybe once a quarter just to keep Lee honest.  #11 is a really good runner.  The fullback is ok once he gets going.  #7 looked pretty good.  The plays just never really had a chance.  Seemed like the Lee linebackers were having a meeting in the backfield on about every third play throughout the first half.  I think they were guessing on the snap count a lot and just barreling through there.

Yeah that was a horrible call to try to ice the kicker.  Also a bad call by Lee to throw it in the endzone on the 3rd and 10 if they wanted to go for a fg anyways.  Should have run it and tried to get five yards and give themselves a more makeable fg attempt.  It turned out ok, but I didn't think there was any way Lee would win once Sterling tied it.
[/quote]
Good game by Lee. Want to send a congrats to Jamari papi Gilbert just got an offer to Incarnate Word in San Antonio

I watched the first half of the freshman game. Neither team had much, but lee was more talented.  they scored three times in the first half,two called back on suspect penalties followed immediately by interceptions. What appeared to be lees best player, a qb, did not play after getting his ankle wrapped before the game.  just by looking at him he was probably their best player.  i left at the half.

Sterling had so e nice size up front, but again just couldnt get anything going in the first half.  they couldnt decide who to leave at qb either.  they had a big fb that switched and played qb some.

Again neither team had much but as a lee fan i cerainly would not want to switch freshman teams with sterling.

The QB is too small and can not throw very well and with virtually no time from the offensive line he has no shot to set up his feet and throw. Seemed like Sterling ran up the middle about 75% of the time with only 1-2 having some success. The outside runs worked much better but it may have been that Lee was just so thin by then it started having some success.

#11 Hill, #7 Vigier, #20 Cheniere were the three best backs in GCCISD in their 7th and 8th grade years. They were unstoppable. With those three running, and they are all sophs, you should be able to move the ball. To be honest, running the spread with one of them in the backfield and the other 2 split out trying to get one on one matchups would be so much more successful. The skill talent is there, it is just in the wrong system. Look at what Lee did moving the ball, it was mostly the QB just running around with the field spread out. For RSS, with 10 guys in the box it takes a miracle to break out of the pile. I dont get it, RSS has to show a threat to pass to be successful.  BH runs the same offense but it looks so much different because they have someone that can throw it or maybe a coach that is willing to throw it.

Seems like RSS wins most of the undersquad games so I dont think that is any indicator of anything. Last year the freshman won like 48-0 on the A team and also big on the B team.  Sterlings best talent pool to do anything is this years sophs mixed with this years jrs. If it doesnt happen then it isnt going to happen.

[quote name="ThirdDay" post="1257576" timestamp="1346477643"]
Sterling will be lucky to win a game this year.  Maybe clear lake was left in such bad shape that sterling has a chance.  QB is too short to see the field and cannot throw if he could.  With no threat whatsoever to throw, teams will leave a single safety to cover the one receiver and put everyone else in all out run support.

[/quote]

Guest UHCoog14
[quote name="Kenny Powers" post="1257836" timestamp="1346512490"]
The QB is too small and can not throw very well and with virtually no time from the offensive line he has no shot to set up his feet and throw. Seemed like Sterling ran up the middle about 75% of the time with only 1-2 having some success. The outside runs worked much better but it may have been that Lee was just so thin by then it started having some success.

#11 Hill, #7 Vigier, #20 Cheniere were the three best backs in GCCISD in their 7th and 8th grade years. They were unstoppable. With those three running, and they are all sophs, you should be able to move the ball. To be honest, running the spread with one of them in the backfield and the other 2 split out trying to get one on one matchups would be so much more successful. The skill talent is there, it is just in the wrong system. Look at what Lee did moving the ball, it was mostly the QB just running around with the field spread out. For RSS, with 10 guys in the box it takes a miracle to break out of the pile. I dont get it, RSS has to show a threat to pass to be successful.  BH runs the same offense but it looks so much different because they have someone that can throw it or maybe a coach that is willing to throw it.

Seems like RSS wins most of the undersquad games so I dont think that is any indicator of anything. Last year the freshman won like 48-0 on the A team and also big on the B team.  Sterlings best talent pool to do anything is this years sophs mixed with this years jrs. If it doesnt happen then it isnt going to happen.

[quote author=ThirdDay link=topic=102366.msg1257576#msg1257576 date=1346477643]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Jr. High wins in Baytown are not a good measurement of high school success. Who do they play? Other Baytown Jr Highs? I got caught up in that myself. My sons 7th and 8th grade teams at Gentry (Nelson, Mixson,Anderson, et al) man-handled other teams for two years. It just did not translate to wins at RSS for whatever reason. The main one being the opening of GCM their sophomore year.

RSS will be better this year. 5-5 may have been a little bold, but they will be better. The QB is undersized, but plays with a ton of heart. I'll take a player like that every day and twice on Sunday. If there was someone better for the job, I guarantee you they would be playing. RSS made some changes in the 2nd half and moved the ball with ease. They will have to find a way to dump off some passes or big, physical teams will embarass them.

The Rangers' greatest obstacle right now is not on the field. The players are plagued by negativity off the field, in the hallways and wherever they are. It is a very heavy load to bear for a teenager.  They will need to find a way to put this non-district, and in some ways meaningless game, behind them. They have enough talent on the field to compete and win a few games. But right now, they have to win the battle between their ears.

Acosta is probably the best player on the offense as of now in relation to taking car of his responsibilities and doing his job.  he had the backside linebacker draped on his back every time he would keep the ball.  not much he could do.  once lee tired out and put the second team in acosta had more time to get going after the fake and he did well.

The problem is that sterlings offense takes an extreme amount of precision.  every lineman back receiver and qb has to do the job every play or it could blow up.  at clear lake they had much better linemen that gave oswald time to make the decisions and execute the offense.  lees offense takes very little precision.  just spread out and try to outrun and juke the defenders to the best of your ability.

Acosta and the backs could lead a very potent offense, just need a little bit of blocking.

There in lies the problem. Acosta may be the best option qb available but taking a look at your talent and then deciding what offense to run would lead most reasonable coaches to adjust. This guy is determined to prove he is right no matter what, heck even his OC from last year left because he was so inflexible. When has RSS ever had any size on the line? Not in the past 20 years. I agree Acosta couldn't do anything most of the first half because he has no line but I'm not sure why that's shocking.

Pats I understand Jr high success isn't a direct translation but those kids ran over north shore , barbers hill and dayton . Cbj gave north shore its first loss in years with #20 and #7 running on them. They also made a good run at Dayton, the same group now starting there as sophs that just beat 5a elkins.  Athletic wise those kids and RSS kids were very equal,  its just funny to me that they are continuing to win while suddenly RSS can't win a game. To me it boils down to one set of coaches optimizes his talent while another is so hard headed to prove he is right with his system. And speaking of heart, no one on that RSS team has more heart and will to win then #20 and its not even close.

I don't think a high school coach is going to just completely change his offense.  If you hire this guy, you have to know that he is going to run the offense that he runs.  If you hire Olin, you have to know he is going to throw the ball all over the place.

I think a lot of it, for all of the Baytown teams, is they just don't take football that seriously.  Sterling kids are still young though.  All of those running backs and the qb are back next year right?
Give them some time.  Hard to do much when all of your key players are 10th graders.

I have to ask myself why did GCCSID hire him? Was he one of the only ones that applied? I certaily do not see what they saw in his record at CL. He had one good year with the perfect option QB but the personnel in Baytown vs CL is night and day. I just with the guy would swallow his ego and admit these kids do not fit this system. This isnt college, we cant recruit a big OL to move around the DL like they want to. Lee was busting right up the middle almost every play before the QB could even fake the handoff. Why? Maybe because there is zero threat of a play action pass and RSS goes on the snap count every play.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder