High Island Athletics

TheRef

Government officials that have left HI residents hanging out to dry for many years.Some lifetime folks that reside in the area have been thru so much devastation,erosion of their highways/roads,commerce etc.Good lawd sell all them 50,000 dam campers/mob homes stored and paying storage on in La. alone & send a tad bit of it to the forgotten residents of High Island.Now the bassters want to close 1 of the few free fishing spots=Rollover Pass that sportsmen have supported w/commerce for over 40 yrs.I'm p'oed and my thoughts are w/kiddos of HI,my fav place to relax w/my grandkids >:( ??? :o :o :'(

[quote name="TheRef" post="1248482" timestamp="1345612668"]
Was told at our meeting last night that due to lack of funds High Island ISD has cancelled all athletic programs.
[/quote]

What meeting were you at, and was it in HI?  Have talked to some parents, and they know nothing about this at all?  Can you clarify your info for us.

[quote name="TheRef" post="1248482" timestamp="1345612668"]
Was told at our meeting last night that due to lack of funds High Island ISD has cancelled all athletic programs.
[/quote]

High Island did scrimmage Orange Community Christian last Saturday. If they were going to cancel all athletics, why even start practicing football and play a scrimmage?

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1248536" timestamp="1345639775"]
[quote author=TheRef link=topic=101887.msg1248482#msg1248482 date=1345612668]
[/quote]

High Island did scrimmage Orange Community Christian last Saturday. If they were going to cancel all athletics, why even start practicing football and play a scrimmage?
[/quote]

They had volleyball last night as well

It was announced at our football meeting Monday night. The officials scheduled for High Island football games this season were told that they had lost their Friday night games for those weeks that they were scheduled to go there. It was told to us that they were doing away with all the programs at the meeting but I can just go by what we were told. I put this on here to see if AAW could get some confirmation about what is going on.

if this is true, i really feel sorry for the kids.  Growing up and going to a smaller school, participating in extra curricular activities was a huge part of school.  Friday night football games, weekly basketball, volleyball, or baseball games, out of town basketball tourneys, and the list goes on.  Hopefully this is not true and the kids will still have access to extra curricular activities, sports or non sports.

I just had the opportunity to speak to Dr. D'Ann Vonderau, Superintendent of Schools for High Island ISD.  She was happy to proclaim that the athletics program is [b]not being shut down.[/b] She noted that the Lady Cardinals are currently involved in their regular volleyball season and that Coach Williamson and the football team are primed to take the field this Friday in their final scrimmage and thereafter for the 2012 season.

It is full steam ahead for Cardinal athletics this season!

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="TheRef" post="1248651" timestamp="1345652606"]
It was announced at our football meeting Monday night. The officials scheduled for High Island football games this season were told that they had lost their Friday night games for those weeks that they were scheduled to go there. It was told to us that they were doing away with all the programs at the meeting but I can just go by what we were told. I put this on here to see if AAW could get some confirmation about what is going on.
[/quote]

Sounds like your chapter Secretary has been into the medicine cabinet again. ;D 8)

Someone who can breath a sigh of relief is Coach Kirby over at Chester.  Not only does Chester have its district matchup with HI, they also have a non-district game with them as well as a game against the High Island JV.

Imagine 30% of your schedule going "POOF"?

This is Coach Williamson with High Island ISD.  We are not closing any athletic programs here at High Island.  We actually have added a JV schedule for this year in football.  Both girls and boys programs  are up in numbers as far as participation.  If you don't have the facts, call the school (409) 286-5317 or myself (409) 599-4802.  Rumors only hurt the kids and the community.

Thanks and God Bless,

Brent Williamson
Athletic Director/Head Football
High Island ISD

[quote name="coachwilliamson" post="1248885" timestamp="1345674767"]
This is Coach Williamson with High Island ISD.  We are not closing any athletic programs here at High Island.  We actually have added a JV schedule for this year in football.  Both girls and boys programs  are up in numbers as far as participation.  If you don't have the facts, call the school (409) 286-5317 or myself (409) 599-4802.  Rumors only hurt the kids and the community.

Thanks and God Bless,

Brent Williamson
Athletic Director/Head Football
High Island ISD
[/quote]

Thank you Coach Williamson for clearing this up. It is greatly appreciated.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    napeba
    Newest Member
    napeba