Illegal bats

I am sure some of you softball gurus will know the answer to this question, but other than "shaving" what makes a softball bat illegal?  I was told tonight that having a composite bat "rolled" would make the bat illegal.  We had our daughter's Miken rolled when she was in 10u, it was offered to us after we purchased the bat as a way to break it in quicker. 

This is the ASA rule on it:
Rule 3, Section 1H Altered Bat: The official bat shall not be an altered bat. The distribution of weight and length of the bat shall remain fixed at the time of manufacturing and may not be altered in any way thereafter, except otherwise specifically provided in Rule 3, Section 1 or as specifically approved by the ASA. Inserting material inside the bat, or painting a bat other than the top for identification purposes are examples of altering a bat. Laser marking for ID purposes is not considered an altered bat. Engraving ID marking on the barrel end of a metal bat is considered an altered bat. Approved bats shall not be rolled, shaved or modified to change their characteristics from that produced by the manufacturer and shall be considered an altered bat.

So yes, a rolled bat would be an illegal altered bat.

Thanks for answering that Dottie.  Had no idea having that done was illegal.  We were talking about the 10u team that had 3 illegal bats picked up at USFA Nationals in Panama and when it was brought up about having a bat rolled, I was surprised.  As I said, when we purchased the bat, the company said that having it rolled would help it break in quicker, but never said that it would make it illegal.  Although, she did use that bat in Panama when we were in 10u and nothing was ever said. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder